Theater Safety

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Chemist and industrial hygienist Monona Rossol talks about theater safety. She's the author of Pick Your Poison: How Our Mad Dash to Chemical Utopia is Making Lab Rats of Us All.


Monona Rossol

Comments [6]


@ Chris from Manhattan: Dennis J. Larkin Sr was a former president of IATSE Local 1. In 1995, while working as a stagehand at Radio City Music Hall, Dennis Sr. took a fall and is now a paraplegic as a result.

Theatre is, always has been, a dangerous business, but this woman is a little histrionic about it, and many of her facts are a little off.

Jan. 02 2013 11:15 PM

Get real, lady. You can't protect everyone from everything. Protecting the audience from dangers like pyrotechnics and strobe lights? Seriously?

Jan. 02 2013 01:58 PM
Amy from Jersey Shore

I took a tour of the Two River Theatre Theatre Company's theatre in Red Bank, NJ, last week, with my Girl Scouts. The woman who directed the tour showed us a main set piece that was a ramp with an extreme rake. She said that the kids could walk around the stage, but NOT near the ramp, because everyone walking on that has to be trained to do so. I LOVED that! It really showed their dedication to both safety regulations as well as their cast and guests.

Jan. 02 2013 01:57 PM
Chris from Manhattan

Um, James J. Claffey Jr., the president of IATSE Local #1 in New York, s not, in fact, a paraplegic. I'm not sure what she is talking about there.

Jan. 02 2013 01:52 PM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

Monona Rossol is living in La-La land if she really thinks construction workers wear harnesses whenever they're 6 feet off the ground. That may well be the regulation, but it most certainly isn't the reality.

It's quite clear that the people writing the regulations/standards never had to work with all the "saftey" crap tripping you up.

Jan. 02 2013 01:43 PM
DANNY ISELIN from Woodbridge, NJ

Two weeks ago while enjoying THE SOUND OF MUSIC at a Papermill Playhouse matinee in our mezzanine seats, I noticed into the first act a smokey odor coming from the overhead air conditioning.
It got consistently stronger until I started to panic that we'd all soon have headaches from carbon monoxide poisoning!! During intermission I notified the house manager of the problem and he admitted they had their lobby fireplace going!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him somehow the chimney's exhaust was back flowing into the air conditioning coming into the theater. He put out the fire and we were comfortable during the second act. At $96.00 a mezzanine seat.... TICKET BUYERS BEWARE OF THIS CONDITION AT THE PAPERMILL!!!!!!!!

Jan. 02 2013 01:15 PM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

Get the WNYC Morning Brief in your inbox.
We'll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.