Open Phones: What Did You Like or Dislike in 2012?

Friday, December 28, 2012

On Facebook you can "like" just about anything. On YouTube you can "thumb up" or "thumb down" videos. And, yes, in real life, you can have an opinion too! What did you like, or dislike in 2012? Anything goes. Call 212-433-9692 or post here!

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Florence from Brooklyn, N.Y.

I dislike a lot of things, but the most is Hurricane Sandy, that devastated the lives of so many, and the guns that killed so many, the latest being the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I keep wondering why mother nature, and man, are so cruel to man! What is the world coming to!
In fact, I was blogging on extensive measures that I think need be taken to keep our kids safe at school from gun violence, when you brought up the topic of guns on your show! That article is at www.fmandi.wordpress.com
I like election night, especially at that point where incoming results, and journalists' comments all turned in favor of President Obama!

Dec. 29 2012 03:15 PM
Arti from Nj

Like: the new Barnes Foundation museum in Philly.

Dec. 28 2012 04:53 PM
Ed from Larchmont

In the 2012 Liturgical year (which begins in the previous December) the Catholic Church introduced a new translation of the Mass from the Latin into English, to be used in all English speaking countries.

The previous translation became official in 1975 and it was based on the then theory of translation, to say the phrase how we would say it today. As beautiful as it was, and clear, it missed some nuances.

The new translation uses a different theory of translation, a closer word by word translation, on the theory of exact translation, and the result is even more beautiful, and it catches all the theological implications and grandeur. Bravo!

Dec. 28 2012 04:37 PM
gareth wooldridge from Teterboro, NJ

I like that the company that most people loved to hate has paid back ALL of the government bail-out money...PLUS $22 billion in profit. This has been done in record time and with tremendous effort on the part of the AIG CEO and all AIG staff. Many experts said it would never happen.
'Funny' that this good news has not been widely covered by the main stream media.

Dec. 28 2012 02:15 PM
kaycee from Tappan, NY

I will be forever grateful to WNYC for their coverage of Sandy throughout the storm. Brian Lehrer was our connection to the outside world——he provided calm and comfort during that very scary, distressing time.

Dec. 28 2012 01:12 PM
James Forrester from Brooklyn

I love the new traffic light at the BQE end of Atlantic Avenue! I must agree with your caller who lamented the loss of the prior free-for-all for cars at that intersection. For all the parents with strollers and kids making the pilgrimage to the wonderful pier 6 at Brooklyn Bridge Park, the new light has made what was formerly a nerve-wracking and risky experience far less so. Thank you NYC DOT, keep up the great work!

Dec. 28 2012 12:45 PM
David from Brooklyn

I liked the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) lobby. http://fcnl.org/about/). By their own description:

"The [FNCL] fields the largest team of registered peace lobbyists in Washington, DC. ... FCNL's multi-issue advocacy connects historic Quaker testimonies on peace, equality, simplicity, and truth with peace and social justice issues which the United States government is or should be addressing. FCNL is nonpartisan."

In my estimation, not just pie in the sky idealism. Results-oriented lobby group, with influence, attempting to promote peace and justice.

Dec. 28 2012 11:57 AM
David from Upper West Side

For the first, and maybe the last, time ever, my family and I became deeply involved with a reality TV show: The Voice. A local singer whom I've gone to hear for the last two years, Amanda Brown, was a contestant. Her blind audition got the attention of only one of the coaches, but her "battle round" performance with/against another strong singer made a strong impression on all of the coaches and the audience. She threw the show's producers a curveball with a spectacular performance of a rock song: Dream On. This made her the favorite to win for Rolling Stone, Billboard and a number of newspapers. She made it to the top 6, but I suspect that she failed to make it higher because the producers didn't know how to promote an African American woman singing pure rock and indie rock. I liked that she made it so far in the competition, but disliked that she was eliminated when so many seemed to support my belief that she should win. The upside is that I got to see her perform again at the Village Underground and Rockwood Music Hall and will probably have more opportunities than if she had gone on to immediate fame.

Dec. 28 2012 11:55 AM
anonyme

I do get the sense that John Hockenberry is someone's nephew or something - nobody stays with him and his show is pretty vapid for all his self-importance. This is unkind but I see I'm not alone and maybe he needs to being something that uses his talents.

Dec. 28 2012 11:53 AM
Kathleen from Rockland County, NY

In 2012, I discovered and loved NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing month. It happens in November, and it's a gigantic writing marathon in which thousands of writers chug along with the goal of producing a manuscript of 50,000 words. It is incredibly motivating and it got me writing as never before. Fantastic!

Dec. 28 2012 11:52 AM
Ügo Olivera from Hoboken, NJ

Looking for an excuse to go into a bar to drink in the early morning hours I came across the English Premier Soccer league. I really enjoyed it, full of passion and excitement...check it out.

Dec. 28 2012 11:50 AM
Mike from Armonk

I truly liked AstralPop KARAOKE, a brand new (free) app about picking karaoke songs to sing based on your zodiac signs:

It was a fun stocking stuffer and me and my friends love it!

Dec. 28 2012 11:49 AM
allen Bank from Brooklynn

Liked The Rascals reunion (43 years since) at The Capital Theater. Maybe the best show I've seen since The Who opening for the The Doors in 1968. NO oldies show! Rocked with: heart, soul and RnB like no bands today. Orchestrated by Steve Van Zandt.

Dec. 28 2012 11:48 AM
John A.

I like that Windows 8 has the ease of use of touchscreens, finally.
I dislike that I found 4 bugs with it already, (day 2).

Dec. 28 2012 11:45 AM
anonyme

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert

Dec. 28 2012 11:45 AM
Henry from Manhattan

Correction, it's a section of 25th Street that turned into a pedestrian mall, not 26th.

Dec. 28 2012 11:45 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

What I really dislike are the new Muni Meters. Someone's brother-in-law must have convinced the DOT and City Council to buy them, but they have more flaws than benefits.

1. Having to get out of the car in pouring rain, shlep half a block to get to the meter to pay, then go back to the car to put the now wet receipt on the dashboard.

2. Having to fight tickets that were issued by overzealous meter attendants while at the meter getting the dashboard receipt.

3. No longer having delineated spots so that people take up way more room than necessary for each vehicle, thereby rendering fewer available spaces.

Ad nauseum...

Dec. 28 2012 11:45 AM
Kevin from Gowanus

I like that our project Interference Archive, in Gowanus Brooklyn, being open for its first year in 2012. Its a space that houses the cultural production of social movements. www.interferencearchive.org

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Jen from New Jersey

Liked: Evernote and Buy Me a Pie apps, traveling to UUMAC - a Unitarian Universalist week-long retreat.

Disliked: Sandy's effect on the Jersey Shore, where I grew up; more shallowly, hated American Idol, done with it after 8 years.

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Tabitha from Clinton Hill

I liked the sky yesterday evening. Apparently the moon isn't full until tonight, but it was so bright and round yesterday that it might as well have been. The clouds were thick, but light, light meringue, and the moon's glow made the clouds light up. Behind the clouds the sky was blue-black, not pink from the sodium arc lights, and the few stars and planets that you can see in the city were sparkling. I found myself sitting in a backyard staring at the sky for almost half an hour, cold be damned.

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Sonni from lower manhattan

I love my Xooter kick scooter I bought to keep up with my 5 year old son earlier in the year. Now I see other grown ups everywhere in the city with adult scooters. Also, are we allowed to ride in the bike lanes with these kick scooters.

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Nancy

Liked: Viral video - Psy Gangam Style - what a phenomenon that it even went mainstream!

Disliked: Republican party holding the economy hostage!

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Henry from Manhattan

Oh, traffic patterns!

They closed the 26th Street portion between Baruch College campus buildings into a pedestrian mall.

Ugh, I’m not a fan. It's really disrupted traffic patterns and eliminated a massive amount of student drop-off and standing parking.

There just didn't seem to be a problem there.

Dec. 28 2012 11:44 AM
Alejandra from Astoria, NY

Liked: Your show! Don't judge but I just started to listen to it this year and got hooked! Looking forward to what you bring in 2013!

Dec. 28 2012 11:43 AM
Megan from Brooklyn. NY

Liked (actually, LOVED) Iceland. Had the opportunity to travel there in August. Absolutley gorgeous. (I did';t like the prices there, but was so beautiful it was worth every dime!) Everyone should go!

Dec. 28 2012 11:43 AM
Rockey Neff from Inwood, NYC

Like: The way New Yorkers came together post Super Storm Sandy!

Dislike: The NHL Lockout!!! The Rangers were going to have a hell of a team this year!!!

Dec. 28 2012 11:42 AM
Craig from Bronx

Traveled to Israel for the first time this year. And we even went twice. I liked- no loved- Israel and should you have the opportunity, go!

Dec. 28 2012 11:42 AM
thomas from astoria

THETAKEAWAY THETAKEAWAY continues to cause intense dislike. Kid Rock and Just yesterday A BAIN CAPITAL guy was tapped for his opinion on the fiscal cliff! Good balanced choices, Mr. Hockenberry

Dec. 28 2012 11:42 AM
The Truth from Becky

I disliked the deceitful behaviour of mitt romney during the Presidential race for the white house, BUT I liked that President Obama was re-elected!!!

Dec. 28 2012 11:42 AM
Bill Swersey from Upper West Side

LIKE - the growth of bike lanes across the city, especially the new Columbus Ave lane and the new two-way lane across Central Park at 72nd Street.

Dec. 28 2012 11:41 AM
anonyme

TV

call the midwife

modern family and the new normal

Dec. 28 2012 11:39 AM
Ben from Westchester

Liked:

The Knicks, availability of great food for cooking.

Hated:

Hurricane Sandy, Overuse (and lazy use) of the word "hipster"

Dec. 28 2012 11:39 AM
Henry from Manhattan

Talking about movies, Ridley Scott’s Prometheus was a big letdown.

Dec. 28 2012 11:38 AM
Henry from Manhattan

LOL at Brooklyn hating guy!

Dec. 28 2012 11:36 AM
David from NJ

I dislike how the country has become so politically polarized that every important issue at hand seems to end in a stalemate. I liked my 14 year old daughter introducing me to Modern Family.

Dec. 28 2012 11:36 AM
John A.

I like Buck Henry doing the old SNL segment "TalkBack". I think I'm hearing it now, on my radio...

Dec. 28 2012 11:33 AM

I dislike Russia banning US adoptions. The fact that Russians live in a nation with such a low life expectancy makes this doubly cruel.

Dec. 28 2012 11:08 AM