Open Phones: Did You Change Your Mind This Year?

Friday, December 28, 2012

What did you change your mind about in 2012? Have your opinions changed on issues such as gay marriage or gun control? What else? Call 212-433-9692 or post here.

Maureen from middletown, new jersey

I changed my mind about facebook. I deleted my facebook page a couple of months ago for several reasons. First of all it just exposes people too much. I saw pictures that were tagged as me when I wan't even present. That lack of control became worrisome. Secondly, as the presidential election approached, I found people utilizing fb for their own personal political platform. That got nasty at times. Thirdly, while fb got me back in touch with many people with whom I had lost contact, after awhile I realized I didn't really care whether I had contact with them or not! Pick up the phone if you really want to "friend" me!

Dec. 28 2012 01:09 PM
The Truth from Becky

I changed my mind about Clint Eastwood! I always enjoyed his movies, I don't like him anymore.

Dec. 28 2012 11:45 AM
jeffrey danneman from NYC

I have changed my mind about many things this year....but I will limit this to politics.

I have decided in light of the abundance of stalemates in the government that our Federal Constitutional Republic no longer is viable. A Parliamentary system encourages a more vigorous discussion of issues and always results in a compromise (of some sort).

As an avid handgun sport shooter and former NYC gun permit designee (I turned in my pistol)I have recently rethought this entire gun issue. LET'S REPEAL THE (sacred)SECOND AMENDMENT. Or at least float that threat out into the ether.

Dec. 28 2012 11:14 AM
Henry from Manhattan

I thought Romney was an okay political candidate as far as Republicans go.

After the 47% comment, I changed my mind. What a jerk.

It’s disturbing that his loss margin wasn’t greater than it was.

He even reinforced his 47% comment after he lost the election .

Dec. 28 2012 11:01 AM
Peg

I bought a baby shower gift for the first time in my life. In our family, we consider giving a baby gift to an expecting mother is BAD LUCK.
So we wait till baby is born and then gift.

But the gift I wanted to give was on the Baby Shower registration list, and I didn't want anyone else to give it, so I bought it.

I don't think I'll attend the shower and I'm still considering whether I'll wait to send her the gift until after the "blessed event" and just send a picture for the shower - or maybe even that might be Bad Luck.

Dec. 28 2012 10:57 AM
Sydney from East Village

I changed my mind about the Oxford comma, and have started to use them personally, professionally, and casually. (This follows on 2011, when I started to unabashedly split infinitives.)

Dec. 28 2012 10:56 AM

Now you are pro-war in Iraq...propaganda mission accomplished!

Dec. 28 2012 10:56 AM
Henry from Manhattan

I’m not sure if it’s so much of a mind change, maybe I’ve moved from uncertain to more informed.

Regarding Genetically Modified Organisms, I’ve been digging into the controversy more, especially with California Prop 37 and that cooked up cancer mouse study, and I tend to think the reaction against them is more hysterical than factual.

Not everything concerning GMO is all that rosy, but most of the negatives are associated with corporate policy that we can reasonably reform.

GMO as deadly poisonous health menace and environmental disaster is grossly exaggerated but I’m probably going to get flamed for suggesting otherwise.

Dec. 28 2012 10:55 AM
Charlene from Bridgeport, CT

I Have changed my mind from being a democrate to an independent. I live in Bridgeport CT and our democrat mayor Bill Finch is the most corrupted I have ever seen. He alone as made me go from democrat to independent

Dec. 28 2012 10:55 AM
Horst from Manhattan

I changed my mind on focusing tax increases on the wealthy after reading this article in the Atlantic. It turns out, to my surprise, that the U.S. has a more progressive tax system than other countries, and it's more progressive now that it has been at any time in our history. (Despite what you might think if you only look at top marginal rates.)

Dec. 28 2012 10:54 AM
Mittal from New Jersey

I am a Fashion Designer and have been in and out of work for the last 5 years. I am very disheartened with the state of the Fashion Industry and what it has to offer in terms of money, stability and life balance. I have finally decided to look into a change of career and may be even go back to school if needed.
Hope 2013 is lucky for me!!!

Dec. 28 2012 10:54 AM
M. L. from Croton-on-Hudson, NY

I changed my mind about getting a car out in the suburbs. I moved to Westchester County (NY)--after living in cities my entire adult life--about two years ago. I only recently decided I need my own car in order to get around because walking/biking/public transportation can only take me so far.

Dec. 28 2012 10:54 AM
Livia Rurarz-Huygens from East Village, NYC

I changed my mind about what was most important to me in my life. I used to work for the UN, had a very international career and was completely absorbed in my work. Then I met my husband, we got married this year, my grandmother passed away and I traveled back to Poland where she and my mother are from. For me family has now taken a front seat.

Dec. 28 2012 10:51 AM