A. J. Jacobs: Advice for Living

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

In another installment of "experimental living," A.J. Jacobs, the author of The Year of Living Biblically, follows ALL the advice for healthy living for his new book, Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection.

A.J. Jacobs

Ellen from Mississippi

For JENNIFER on writing children's books. Jennifer...I agree with Roxie about joining Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. You are fortunate to be in an area where the chapters are full of really good writers. It is one of the BEST resources for children's writers. Network, network, network!

Jan. 01 2013 08:22 PM
roxie from Long Island City

For Jennifer re children's book agents: join subscription service ($20/mo) Publishers Marketplace...has agent listings. Go to Harold Underdown's Purple Crayon website - lots of info. Join SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators ...nonpublishedd people can join). All these sources are on the web.

Jan. 01 2013 11:51 AM
anna from new york

OK, I have to correct a sentence:
Yeah, they know what "we" ate, how "we" felt, how long "we" lived and that "we" haven't evolved at all. Sure.

Jan. 01 2013 10:44 AM
anna from new york

Ha, ha, ha, ha.
Nothing makes me laugh more than a zombie conversation. People who don't know who John Kennedy was and who our allies were during WWII (a hint, no, not the Germans) babble about 10 thousand being nothing: "We" didn't do ..."
Yeah, they know what "we" ate, how "we" felt, how long "we" lived and "we" haven't evolved or not.
Predictably, not a single zombie, walking or standing, mentioned ... the barbarity of American life ... - working, working, working, 70 hours a week in horror and terror - as central to American health disaster. After all, they were raised ... well, zombies.
- Susan, I noticed this "iron" nonsense" too.
- to this marathoner. The fact is that we do need carbs (not only vegetable and most certainly not fructose) too and our ancestors knew better by striving for a balance diet.

Jan. 01 2013 10:42 AM
judy upjohn from new york

The treadmill desk is such a great idea! I walk around the block every couple of hours, take long walks and try to exercise...but those long hours of writing could be shortening my life! I have wished, even tried, with unfortunate results, to rig my treadmill for laptop work. PLEASE share the maker, design, whatever it takes to spread A.J.'s treadmill desk through the public. I can't wait - Thanks!

Jan. 01 2013 10:34 AM
carolita from NYC

I cut out sugar, and gluten a year ago. It was not hard at all (since I've always hated pasta and bread -- always seemed like cheap filler, a way to cheat me out of more meat or veggies). The sugar took a while to get used to (I was already weaning off the previous year), because I had to get used to plain yogurt, and unsweetened coffee. Eventually I just stopped coffee, too, went to white tea in the mornings, which is not as addictive, I find. No headaches if I don't have my cup of tea, which wasn't the case with coffee. It's nice to not be dependent.

I have to say, my seasonal allergies greatly improved. I spent my first spring since childhood without taking allergy meds. I was already quite healthy aside from all that chronic inflammatory response, and wasn't overweight, so I didn't notice a huge difference in my weight (but I'm also getting older, and my metabolism is slowiing down, so probably all I did was avoid putting on weight), but I definitely had less joint pains. I always loved quinoa, so eating a bit more of it, or using quinoa-based pasta when making a pasta dish for me and my BF was not a big deal. (He likes that pasta, too, BTW, it's in a blue-green box, I forget the brand).

Jan. 01 2013 10:33 AM
Penny from Downtown

Caveman exercise sounds like intensive community gardening---pulling big rocks out of dumpsters, digging in clay, climbing around in trees, and definitely crawling around in dirt with limited tools. It certainly keeps me fit and oxygenated.

Jan. 01 2013 10:31 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

The Atkins diet was the first "low carb" diet, and it worked for me for nearly two decades. But now in my late 60s, I've gotten a bit of a paunch anyway. But I still I don't eat bread, pasta and other high carb foods except when there on blue moons.

Obsessive activities such as with A.J. Jacobs don't work. Moderation is the key. Exercise, proper diet, drinking lots of water, and abstaining from tobacco, hard drink and drugs will help most people remain reasonably healthy for a longer period of time. But there is no magic key to immortality nor perfect health. Good genes help a LOT!

Jan. 01 2013 10:30 AM
Susan from Manhattan

AJ Jacobs ilost all credibility with me when he stated that older women may need iron. Menstruating women may need extra iron. Once you stop menstruating you no longer need that much iron. If he cam miss such an obvious nutritional fact, how well did he research and how fact based are his conclusions?

Jan. 01 2013 10:28 AM
Robert from NYC

Well just last week a recent study shows that red meat protein is not healthy and that it, according to this study, shortens one's life! Well seems lots of folks on here have each his or her "lifestyle" that works for him/her. So I deduct from this that there are many ways to have a healthy life.

Jan. 01 2013 10:27 AM
Jill from Mamaroneck

Brian, Brian, Brian,
As the saying goes, if one diet worked there would only be one diet. Low fat, low carb, organic, high protein, no dairy, no sugar (including fruit), local, vegan..... Jeez. If we listened to EVERYTHING we are told it seems the only things we can eat anymore are seaweed and nuts.

Jan. 01 2013 10:23 AM
Jason from The South Bronx

Outdoor fitness is the best. I climb very long steep hills to reach gold bearing rivers in Honduras. Can't beat it!

www.goldminingshow.com