Please Explain: Stress, Part 2

Friday, December 21, 2012

For this week’s Please Explain we're picking up where last week's left off. We'll find out why stress can take a toll on our mental and physical health and find out how to reduce stress in our lives and cope with it better. We're joined again by Dr. Drew Ramsey, Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and co-author of The Happiness Diet,  and  Dr. Rajita Sinha, director of the Yale Stress Center, and Professor of Psychiatry, Neurobiology and Child Study at Yale University School of Medicine.

Dr. Drew Ramsey and Rajita Sinha

Happy Texan from South Texas

Lots of Texas-bashing today, Leonard! Hey, not all raving pistol-packers down here! We love a good Texas joke as much as you do, but take it easy. We can sling a stereotypical New Yorker jab just as quick on a draw.

Dec. 21 2012 02:07 PM
Moss from Westchester

Sounds reasonable to conclude that pastimes such as explosive video games can train individuals to suppress that biochemical response. Is it a bad thing to NOT feel stress?

Dec. 21 2012 01:56 PM
Larry from brooklyn

The idea that there is a "root" to anxiety and mood disorders is quite Freudian. CBT gets to such a root no more than drug therapy. Furthermore, drug treatments have been shown to reverse the neural effects of stress on neurons so I would be careful about saying it only treats symptoms.

Dec. 21 2012 01:56 PM
jess towery from Jersey City

As a licensed acupuncturist and as someone who receives acupuncture every 2 weeks, might I suggest acupuncture as a choice for neck pain AND anxiety? I've found acupuncture to be very successful for these symptoms, through people I've treated and for myself.

Dec. 21 2012 01:52 PM
db from Manhattan

I am interest in the effect of physical movement on on mental and emotional states.
Are there studies, based on experiments performed with neuro-imaging techniques, focusing on specific types of physical movements on stress?
For example, how different cardiovascular activities, such as running, cycling or dance, effect different brain regions and receptors? Which is the most effective to release specific type of stress? In my personal experience "slower" routines (such as yoga or Pilates) do not help in stressful situations as much as power walking or other intense cardiovascular types of exercise.

Dec. 21 2012 01:50 PM
Tom from New York

Are there any connections between stress, depression and vitamin deficiencies?

Dec. 21 2012 01:47 PM
victoria from Brooklyn

Hello-

I want to know your guests opinion on anti-depressants
and also, what about stress/anxiety causing dizziness..

Thank you !!!,
Victoria

Dec. 21 2012 01:47 PM
Cee from Manhattan

What is the connection between stress and hair loss?

Dec. 21 2012 01:46 PM
The Truth from Becky

Are job stress effects temporary?

Dec. 21 2012 01:46 PM
Aubrey from Carroll Gardens

My son seemed to be born stressed. As an infant he was very colicky and always seemed tense. He's 10 now and suffers from acute anxiety. Can a person be born stressed?

Dec. 21 2012 01:46 PM
Laura from Brooklyn

Can you comment on the effect that stress can having on taste, smell, and hearing? I had an episode of acute "sensory overload" after my mother died last year--complete so-called "multiple chemical sensitivity" and hyperacusis with tinnitus. I thought I was losing my mind--and I was! It was a frightening episode--I couldn't get out much. A year later, my symptoms are mostly gone, except for the tinnitus.

Dec. 21 2012 01:45 PM
Drew from Williamsburg

Also, what about any links between stress & depression?

Dec. 21 2012 01:42 PM
Barbara Calvano from New York, NY

Having practices like yoga, meditation, exercise healthy diet makes a huge difference. Also healthy communication skills allow for easier dealing with stress.On a more subtle note, prayer and connection in a spiritual practice makes a huge difference. I connect with my angels for complete support from stress.

Dec. 21 2012 01:38 PM
Peg

To the caller who is either in 5th gear or parked and can eat all the time. Same for me - turned out to be an overactive thyroid - check it out if you haven't already.

Dec. 21 2012 01:37 PM
antonio from baySIde

I suffer from anxiety and the once and a while panic attacks which I think is stress related. Butt I have been going to a therapist lately which has helped so much . Coupled with exercise (I run) also has helped a great deal.

I hear that meditation is helpful too. Funny how external forces; things that we do can help us just as much as other can hurt us.

Dec. 21 2012 01:36 PM
Drew from Williamsburg

Can you ask them more about the connection between stress & back pain? And is it possible that there's a feedback loop - stress begets back pain begets stress until it becomes debilitating. I feel like that's what happens to me until I'm stuck in bed for a month at a time.

Dec. 21 2012 01:36 PM
RJ from prospect hts

What about the stigma associated with the "weakness" associated with appearing/confessing to stress?

Also, what about the general culture that promotes "success" at all costs? As the last guest said, working nonstop to keep their jobs? Those on long-term unemployment? Homeless? Less urban areas also have high levels of stress--the Rust belt that closed down, the deindustrialization of middle America, etc.?

Dec. 21 2012 01:35 PM
debbie from uws

Why do I eat too much when I'm stressed out even though I know better?

Dec. 21 2012 01:28 PM