Kevin Smith: Comic Man

Monday, December 31, 2012

Kevin Smith, screenwriter, actor, producer, director, and comic book writer, talks about New York Comic-Con and the new season of his show, "Comic Book Men," set in his comic book shop in Red Bank

Kevin Smith

Clark from Astoria, NY

I kinda liked this guy.
Liked what he said about art being another way in which to distract yourself from the reality of impending death.
He's obviously trying hard to say controversial stuff in order for the right person to think.."hay, this guy would be great with his own show!"
I wish the dummy from New Jersey good luck!

Dec. 31 2012 12:54 PM
R. Rosen from NYC

For some reason, hearing Mr. Smith repeatedly say "I'm an idiot from New Jersey!" made me think of Superman's Bizarro World, where one expresses the opposite of what one thinks. (And I wondered why he felt compelled to add "...from New Jersey"? The great Bruce Springsteen was born there...

Dec. 31 2012 12:43 PM
DayleVS from Manhattan

Brian! I know you have a wonderful way of giving everyone equal opportunity, but PlEaSe do not rush to have Kevin Smith back on your show! The only thing I could agree with him about is that he is an idiot, and MOREOVER, no one likes a motor-mouth who is in love with his own voice, who says intolerably inappropriate things, and who, basically, abuses the precious opportunity to ride the air waves. I hope he never does get a radio show. I can listen to the worst opponent of my own opinions easily, but this guy just ruffled my feathers like no one ever could! And not in any constructive way. Anyway, happy 2013 to you.

Dec. 31 2012 12:29 PM

...who is this PATHETIC huckster??

Dec. 31 2012 11:33 AM
Elsie from Brooklyn

Smith is a perfect example of Twain's astute observation that sometimes "it is better to keep one's mouth shut and merely appear stupid rather than opening it and removing all doubt."

Did Brian lose a bet here? Why is this "filmmaker" getting airtime? Smith makes morons appear intelligent.

Dec. 31 2012 11:30 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Comic Book Men is a very entertaining show. The geeky staff are realistically unappealing yet very funny. And yes, Kevin, we are well aware that you made "Clerks."

Dec. 31 2012 11:25 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

It's all just diversionary entertainment. Entertainment should not be taken too seriously.

Dec. 31 2012 11:24 AM
John A.

Ha. The Barnes & Noble graphic novel section is located next to the religion section, and the comicbook generation I know well tends to try to deligitimize the religious by saying of all things: "That's all built on fables and fairy-tales". Ironic? Think so.

Dec. 31 2012 10:44 AM