September 11th: What’s Changed?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six years after the attacks, the mood is not as mournful, but there are many palpable changes in how we live our lives. We look at what’s different with the local response to emergencies, how local and national government agencies changed, the difference in our image abroad, is there a different approach to building skyscrapers?, and a look the changed political rhetoric.

Looking for A Prairie Home Companion Ticket details? Click here.

First Responders
We look at the local response to emergencies with Yvette Clarke, U.S. Representative for the 11th District of New York and Glenn Corbett, professor of fire science at John Jay College of Criminal Science.

Changes on the "Homeland"
Clark Kent Ervin, former inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security, and author of Open Target : Where America is Vulnerable to Attack (Palgrave Macmillan, 2006), looks at what has changed on the national government level, now that we have a whole new department of Homeland Security and a different approach to immigration.

How the World Sees Us
Roger Cohen, columnist for the International Herald Tribune and The New York Times looks at whether or not there might have been a way to keep a positive image among foreign countries while engaging in our post-9/11 military response.

Skyscraper Design
Paul Goldberger, architecture critic for The New Yorker, looks at the concrete changes in buildings since 9/11.

The Words of 9/11
Linguist Geoffrey Nunberg examines how 9/11 has altered the political and social rhetoric, and how this makes a difference in our lives.

Weigh in: What has changed for you since September 11th?

Yvette Clarke, Roger Cohen, Glenn Corbett, Clark Kent Ervin, Paul Goldberger and Geoffrey Nunberg

LuisM from Hoboken NJ

I cringe at the thought of allowing some "whoeknowsfromwherehe-shecameout" putting his/her paws in my personal belonging.
Also the stupid "laws" (non-existant) most of them: "you can not take a picture here or there", "why are you taking the picture"
Is turning to be a very police-state constantly watched by cameras and spy eyes.
Have a nice day,
LuisM<

Sep. 18 2007 04:47 PM
Wayne from Manchester, UK

For me I sat with 2 friends completely shocked at what was playing out live on Sky News in the UK - When news of the plane to hit the Pentagon came through it seemed the horrors of the day would not end. The collapse of the towers was made even more shocking being played out live on television. The enourmity of that days events made me fearful of the future, which has not yet deminished. But I will not let terrorists stop me from going about my daily business or vacations. I look forward to visiting New York this October and saying a quiet prayer for all those innocent lives taken away without warning.

Sep. 15 2007 07:47 PM
jawbone

To Maggie, the environmental scientist--thank you so much for your work and continuing efforts to sort out the health effects of 9/11 and days following.

I am so sorry you lost a job because you stood up to power and stood for the people of this city and all who worked on the clean-up.

People like you are invaluable to a good society.

Sep. 14 2007 11:59 AM
J E from Brooklyn

What changed most for me was my own view of America. I educated myself more than ever about our history and foreign history as well.

It was also a huge awakening about the nature of our people - their petty divisions and biases - and ignorance. Not that I had very high expectations, but I would have never thought someone like Bush would be re-elected. To be cynically blunt, we're fortunate they're so incompetent.

Anyone posting here will probably be interested in this:

Sep. 13 2007 02:23 PM
Tricia from Stamford, CT

The end of the innocent times......for me it's the simple little things:....every morning my husband kisses me goodbye in the pre-dawn hours as he heads off to work in NYC and my daily response is "Be Safe"........I never erase his messages on the answering machine until he has come home......there is a slight nervousness when he is delayed or not responding to cell calls, especially when he is travelling......yet even in the tough times, I always taking the moment for gratitude that he was spared that fateful day and remember those who didn't come home.

Sep. 11 2007 09:37 PM
Shawn from Los Angeles

I lived in NYC on 9/11, moved to L.A. (I know, I know) three years ago. This weekend I flew home for my sister's wedding. On the return flight my bag was pulled out and hand searched at JFK. I forgot that I had a jar of Sabon bath scrub in a carry-on, a gift for my girlfriend.

The gift wrapping was torn apart and the jar opened (protective tape was removed). Not only did I have to go back downstairs and check my bag but it ended up leaking oil inside my bag. I handed my girlfriend a torn, oily package.

So, while my fellow passengers were spared potential exfoliation, we as a nation have done nothing in the past six years to get at the root of the reason why someone would want to attack us, nor how we can truly minimize this threat, not merely forestall it.

Sep. 11 2007 08:07 PM
John Cinco from Cranford, NJ

America responded forcefully after Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden attacked us on 9/11! We shall never forget!

Sep. 11 2007 01:18 PM
Nicole from Tarrytown, NY

NYC has always been a sort of mecca for me in that I knew I needed to come here to live at some point in my life. My family of Jamaican immigrants were introduced to American life when they moved from their small caribbean island to the bustling of The City, and so many stories that have been passed down have originated from that time. Before 9/11, however, I took NYC for granted. It would always be there, waiting for me whenever I finally chose to make that move and create stories of my own. But when the events of September 11, 2001 shook me to the core, I realized with a jolt that New York may not wait for me indefinitely. I lost forever the chance to see the Twin Towers in my lifetime. The events of that day influenced my decision to go to medical school in New York, rather than some other urban area. I haven't regretted that decision. I feel closer to NY, and to this country, and to the world than ever before. Sept. 11 made me wake up.

Sep. 11 2007 12:59 PM
Jessica from Long Island

I was 4 1/2 months pregnant with my first son on the day of the attacks, and since that day, I've had a lot of joy in my children and with my husband. But all of that joy is now surrounded by feelings of fear and anger that just won't go away, even if they are sometimes submerged. Fear of more death and destruction, fear of loss of civil liberties, fear for the kind of country we have become. And anger. Anger at the perpetrators of crimes like 9/11, anger at our government for exploiting our fears and rage, anger that the amazing American experiment has been squandered.

Sep. 11 2007 12:23 PM
Darlene from Secaucus, NJ

Good question, Joe. This forum is a good start, but more people need to be aware of what's going on. In my opinion, we need to demand from our leaders that corporations GET OUT of government. TO me, this is the fundamental problem behind everything being complained about in this forum--the usurpation or rights, privacy, etc. in the name of security; in the long run it will be used to control the citizens in the interests of the corporations that, defacto, run our government. Nothing short of a revolution/revolt is in order. Sorry I don't have any detailed answers beyond that.

Sep. 11 2007 12:18 PM

Darlene
how do we show our indignation?...

Sep. 11 2007 12:04 PM
Hilary Eth from nj (lives) ny (works)

Brian: Thank you for your wise and insightful program, today and every weekday. I was very glad to hear you point out the "political" reasons for holding the hearings yesterday and today.

Unfortunately, nothing will change until this President is out of office. He is unable to change and he has a limited view of this situation and others. It would be nice if the Congress could assert itself and set some limits with this President but it is unlikely during this election cycle.

Thank you again for your wonderful show.

Sep. 11 2007 12:02 PM
Darlene from Secaucus, NJ

Hey Joe, I think people do care what our government is doing in our name. Don't forget that the media is owned by Murdoch, et al. whose first priority is to make money and keep advertisers happy; not to inform the citizenry. I think more than apathy people are demoralized.

Sep. 11 2007 12:02 PM
Jennifer Hickey from Queens, New York

I work about five minutes from the WTC. For months after 9/11, our building was washed down every morning from all the dust and debris in the air. I now suffer from asthma and it took me a year to even walk by the site. I feel more scared now for the future than I did the day after 9/11.

I'm afraid our government's reponse has created such world hostility to Americans I feel far less safe than ever before. Rather than re-examining our foreign policy of supporting dictators that can give us "stuff' (oil), our government has taken up a new "crusade" to stamp out "terrorists." But some of these so-called terrorists are viewed as freedom fighters. Northern Ireland is a perfect example of how to combat terrorism. Their greivances should be addressed. It's no coincidence that most of the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia.

This country is built on the prinipals of freedom, equality and fairness. We should practice what we preach.

Sep. 11 2007 11:48 AM
B from New York City

I am a dual citizen raised in Canada, now living in NY. I was still in Canada on 9/11 and woke up to news early that day on my way to an outpatient treatment program for substance abuse. I was raised with admiration for the role the US has played in the world but also with a more realistic view of the intersections between foreign and domestic interests and dynamics of US power/hegemony. I called my family to tell them what was going on (we have family in NYC) and share my shock and disbelief, I was late for my program. I explained that I was late due to the morning's trauma, but I was told that it was inexcusable and that I was worried about the future of humanity and the safety and security of my friends and family in NYC inappropriately. Some Canadians spoke harshly that day about America's role in the world - I felt alone in my grief. I find it incredible that there wasn't more compassion for our neighbors to the south. I was kicked out of the program for being late that morning - it constituted my second tardy.
I no longer feel as though Canadians & Americans are connected at the popular level. There’s been a rupture that feels personally uncomfortable and has a lot to do with the myth making process and historicity in each country. We are both more similar and more different than I grew up thinking and the events since give me pause when I consider the constructs of nationalism, patriotism and citizenship on both sides of the border.

Sep. 11 2007 11:47 AM
Maggie Clarke, Ph.D. from Inwood, Manhattan

Final comment of the day -

A good theme for a show would be to try to get to the bottom of how many people have gotten sick (not just those who worked on the pile, but those who worked down there, lived down there, and who escaped covered in dust - inside and out) and those many uncounted who have died as a result of their exposure to the fires and collapse dust. These are the uncounted deaths in this and from my point of view, just reading names of those who died in planes and in the initial collapse does a huge injustice to those who have died since (and who will die in the future as a result of the government mismanagement and coverup of the real dangers presented by collapsing, burning buildings). Why do we value some deaths so much more than others?

Sep. 11 2007 11:31 AM
Randi from Town of Clinton , NY

Then my favorite aunt died on several days after 9/11, my beloved mother-in-law died in Oct, and my cat, my consantant companion through many changes over that previous 15 years, died in Nov.
The devestating and sudden deaths of thousands on 9/11, and sad personal losses that followed, lead me to find my birthmother, which I did with absurd ease and was very welcomed by her and her family.
These events also lead me to decide to move out of Brooklyn, where I was quite happy and had lived for over 20 years, to move to our little house by a lake two hours outside of the city that we inherited from my mother in law. Although I was comfortable in Brooklyn, I wanted more everyday beauty and peace in my life. I am a gardener and wanted my own gardens where I could be everyday, and I wanted to grow my own veggies right outside my kitchen door, and I wanted my cats to be able to go outside and live as freely as possible. My husband, who spent every summer of his life here wanted to be "home" after having lost the last member of his family.
I feel lucky every single day and every time I walk through my door.
Winters are horrible and I miss my friends in Brooklyn but living by the water and the sound of the frogs, toads, herons, geese, and the flapping of the cat door is a very wonderful thing to have in one's day each day.
I do need WNYC, especially Brian, however, so thank goodness for high speed internet connection!

Sep. 11 2007 11:28 AM
Maggie Clarke, Ph.D. from Inwood, Manhattan

Following on my previous comment, as for me, I have spent thousands of unpaid hours writing and presenting testimony - being The First back in 2001 to predict that there will be cancers from this (see my 2001 and later testimonies and published work on www.maggieclarkeenvironmental.com - WTC). But I did lose an adjuncting (part-time professor) job at one of the CUNY colleges that I'd had for many years when I asked former EPA administrator Whitman in a public forum how EPA could turn the scientific method on its head by first proclaiming the air safe to breathe and THEN going to collect data and years later have it peer reviewed. I was later told that I was too community minded and activist to work there... Scientists with foresight should be valued in our society.

Sep. 11 2007 11:24 AM
khadija from NYC

Have buried my ears listening to music, preparing an amalgalm of sounds for my child, who shall turn 18, on Sept.16th.
The pain is always there, to the core. We have the decency to keep our emotions private. What I cannot fathom is how all is obliterated, literally, from memory, not only in the tri-state area, amongst most, but, most sadly, in the rest of the nation. Well, there should be a tribute of sort for Tues. Sept. 11th early morning. What happened at 9:49 and hence, I wish to erase from my mind, but can't. And there is no way I may express my grief, except in private tears, always.
khadija [Muslim]

Sep. 11 2007 11:21 AM
Trevor from LIC

Funny you should mention that Friedman quote "R", if that is your real name; I recommend you read "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein.

In a sense, the neocons did with 9/11 and the United States what they perpetrated in Central America, Chile, Iraq, and numerous "developing" nations-- use disasters as leverage to force freemarket doctrine on unwilling citizens and buy up national infrastructure via multinationals (i.e. a transnational "individual" as corporations have been incorrectly asserted as individuals) at liquidated rates.

The 21st century, as of 2007, is still very much caught up in the 20th and the 19th.

Sep. 11 2007 11:17 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

so anyway I guess the original question was; What has changed for you since September 11th?
For me the daily indignation over what the government did in the aftermath is dwarfed by the lethargy and apathy of the average Joe on the street. People don't care what the government does to them and in thier name around the world. The mass hypnosis that took place in the ensuing days weeks and months is scarier (to me) than the events of Sept. 11. Go to CNN (or any other "news" site) and look at the top stories...how far down is the first "Fluff" story about Britney's performance or a funny video with a prairie dog?...

Sep. 11 2007 11:16 AM
Darlene from Secaucus, NJ

Everything changed in my life after 9/11; not immediately, but over time. I left a horrid little job at a direct mail marketing company and went to school to study acupuncture. For me this day is not only one of mourning for those who were lost, it is also a reminder of how the rest of the world views us--as a greedy consumer culture. Many of us are in denial about it, but it's hard to ignore that this government is increasingly of, by and for The Corporation [ie, Haliburton, Oxford Healthcare, Big Oil...] and not for the people. I am planning to start my practice soon, and I am thankful every day that I no longer have to participate in a corporate scam to sell stuff people don't need in order to earn a living.

Sep. 11 2007 11:11 AM
Brian Delaplane from NYC

Six years ago I was living a quiet suburban life in Denver and working at a major brokerage firm.

The ensuing free-fall in the stock markets resulted in my company closing relocating me to FL. 9 months later I was mobilized by the Army Reserve at the onset of the Iraq invasion. Another 9 months later I was offered the return of my Regular Army commission and was assigned to Germany. 14 months later I was in Afghanistan under rocket fire from the Pakistan border. 6 months later I was in Pakistan assisting in the humanitarian relief following the Oct 05 earthquake.

To now find myself assigned to teaching ROTC in NYC 6 years after the last normal day in my life is surreal at best. I find myself blessed in the respect that I have had the opportunity to live in and experience both the Muslim culture that has been largely villified and the European culture that people fear we have ostracized. While I am fortunate that I have been in a position to effect positive changes both domestically and abroad, I am haunted by the price it has exacted on my family through 6 moves in as many years.

6 years ago I turned on sports radio while driving to work expecting to hear nothing more than the fallout from the Broncos-Giants Monday night game. This morning I turned on your show while driving to work to train future Army officers how to deal with a new world whose changes many of us, unfortunately still fail to grasp.

Sep. 11 2007 11:04 AM
R from NJ

Only a crisis -actual or perceived- produces real change. - Milton Friedman

Sep. 11 2007 10:54 AM
Steve from Amsterdam

I saw the first tower burning on the way to work on Route 1 in Jersey City while stuck in traffic trying to get on the Pulaski Skyway. I thought it was just a bad fire and that it would (just?) be a difficult day for the firefighters.

Later, coming home I saw this huge cloud of dust where those towers used to stand and where, on a sunny late summer day would glow golden-orange.

The biggest change for me is that I left for Amsterdam in 2003. A decision I made the day the Bush Administration invaded Iraq.

Sep. 11 2007 10:52 AM
Kirsten from Upper West Side

I want to add a link to this beautifully written and exquisitely sad essay, one of the many works of art that have emerged from our sad communal experience. It's called "The Wind in the Heights."

Sep. 11 2007 10:52 AM
Maggie Clarke, Ph.D. from Inwood, Manhattan

I was a first responder in a different sense, one that still gets little acknowledgement or respect, being one of few who are still sounding the call about those who are sick, have already died and will die as a result of the twin environmental disasters. The media in NYC all but ignored the environmental disasters (the fires that burned unabated for 100 days spewing dioxin, furan, PCB, PAH, metals of many variety, carbon monoxide, etc and the collapse dust - asbestos, fiberglass-like materials, high pH concrete dust, metals, and many more). The media are still not asking the proper questions when disasters happen. Worse yet, they still don't have on staff environmental professionals that can help them to understand what questions to ask. We have not learned much when local groups like 9/11 Environmental Action - www.911ea.org (which I helped found in 2002) are still not a household name, having pointed out all these issues in early 2002 and pointed out the lack of community response plan for disasters at the Deutsche Bank building YEARS AGO.

Sep. 11 2007 10:51 AM
antonio from park slope

Duncan given the fact the neo-cons wanted to go in Iraq since the early 90's what is your opinion on the coincidence that 911 occurred?

Sep. 11 2007 10:48 AM
Duncan from NJ

What's changed is my government has become blinded by an extreme form of patriotism that has become a means for certain political extremists to implement laws and policies that encroach uponbasic civil liberties, privacy, and respect for the individual. What has changed, is the way in which our current leaders seize on the tragedy of 9/11, for their own political purposes. I see the war in Afghanistan as a legitimate response to 9/11. However, the war in Iraq which was made possible by 9/11 has nothing to do with terrorism. It only has to do with an unrelated agenda that could not have been implemented were it not for 9/11.

Sep. 11 2007 10:38 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

Ya can we get any more light weight guests?...how bout a barista? a mime?

Sep. 11 2007 10:30 AM
Ellen Jay from Nyack

On 9/11 I witnessed the first plane flying into the WTC as I commuted in a bus via the Lincoln Tunnel. We were the last vehicle allowed before the tunnel was closed. As we went through the tunnel with people hearing terrifying things on their cellphones and Walkmans, we didn't know if there would be a city left when we came through. The effect of this was that I couldn't go through the tunnel for years after that and still find it traumatic to go through to this day.

On 9/11, I was going to my job, writing a book about bereavement and loss for a publishing company in Chelsea where the large loft windows faced the Twin Towers. I witnessed the collapse of the Towers.

As a bereavement counselor who worked with individuals, suddenly there were thousands and thousands grieving. Knowing what grief and loss is like, I was overwhelmed by the thought of all that grief. As a social worker, teaching about bereavement and loss to graduate students, I was struck by how my foreign students stated that they saw America as a beacon of safety, security, and justice and that this tragedy had changed their feelings about all this -- that there was nowhere safe and secure anymore. Those feelings have stayed with me too. Also personally suffering from WTC air-pollution respiratory problems, and the knowledge that as a mental health specialist, the fine line of that protective wall between "expert" and "client" was broken down in mutual grief and trauma.

Sep. 11 2007 10:29 AM
Trevor from LIC

Too bad Noam Chomsky and Baudrillard weren't alive to comment on the nation's reaction after 9/11.

Oh wait they were.

Sep. 11 2007 10:28 AM
speck from union square

a bit off subject---but why hasn't 9/11 been declared a national holiday of mourning?

Sep. 11 2007 10:27 AM
L. Leonardo from Rego Park, Queens

To Brian and your current guest:

There is a main avenue in Santiago Chile that is called 'September 11'. As your guest mentioned about how common it is in Europe, naming streets/avenues after key historical dates is very common. September 11th has a very dark meaning (or 'liberating if you are supportive of Pinochet) for Chileans as this is when the military brutally overthrew democracy in Chile which led to weeks and years or persecutions and thousands of citizens were rounded up and killed. Darkly enough, the September 11 avenue in Santiago was named by the military and the upper class in one of the wealthiest areas of Santiago as a form of celebrating September 11 as the day when the military 'liberated' Chile from Communism. I spent a September 11 in 2004 in Chile and it was a very tense and sad day for most Chileans

Sep. 11 2007 10:26 AM
Smooth Johnny S from Cranford, NJ

Politicians cynically recreated the Cold War and cast a shifting cast of ‘others’ in the role once held by the USSR and they divided the nation using the 9/11 attacks as a new “wedge issue”.

Sep. 11 2007 10:25 AM
Sandra Fisher from Upper East Side, Manhattan

I went via subway downtown 6 weeks after the attacks after being assured by our government leaders that the air quality was acceptable. I wanted to see for myself the destruction and the work being done so valiantly by the men and women there. When I came out of the 5 train at City Hall my lungs started to burn. In hindsight, the air quality was not acceptable, but indeed, poisonous. Within one year I developed asthma and chronic sinusitis, must take medications daily, and react horribly to any kinds of chemicals, perfumes, mold, and smoke. If this happened to me, then what about everyone else in NYC who has been breathing this air?

Sep. 11 2007 10:25 AM
Roberta Ferdschneider from Brooklyn (now at work in Jackson Heights)

The date 9/11 was selected for its symbolic meaning--911 as a symbol of emergency, via the phone system. I am sure this was another symbol that Osama Bin Ladn wanted to convey.

Sep. 11 2007 10:24 AM
Roberta Ferdschneider from Brooklyn (now at work in Jackson Heights)

I am sure that the date of 9/11 was picked for the symbolic meaning of 911--the emergency phone number in the U.S. Another message from Osama Bin Ladn.

Sep. 11 2007 10:22 AM
Tom from Huntington, NY (Long Island)

What's changed the most for me is that I no longer feel comfortable about going outside of the country as an American. I married fairly late in life and went to Italy for my honeymoon in August of 2001. Americans are fairly highly regarded there. Not anymore. Nobody is happy with how things have gone in Iraq. I personally feel ashamed; while no one will ever shed a tear for Saddam Hussain and his blood thirsty regiem, the fact remains that we went to the wrong country for the wrong reasons and have solved nothing. The bad guys were in Afganistan and that's where they still are. Our military is stretched too thin to do both jobs at once and it is getting to the point where, realistically, it won't be able to do either one. Shia and Sunni issues are not going to be solved by us standing between them and being shot at. We need to get out of there and let them shoot at each other until they work it out like we did in our Civil War. I am uncreasingly reminded of the Vietnam war which I remember quite clearly. The parallels are there: an unwinnable situation being fought with the same techniques that we used to defeat the British in the Revolutionary War. You can not win a war where the enemy will largely not come out and fight you. This is how we bled the British and this is how we are being bled now. We should know better. We are being hoodwinked: our national interests there are purely concerned with oil, nothing more.

Sep. 11 2007 10:21 AM
R from NJ

How have things changed for me since 9/11? I've become much more skeptical about the motives of our government and our country. We were told that everything was going to change after this event. But nothing changed. Our imperial policies only got more brazen. To me Iraq is a much bigger tragedy than 9/11. We chose that tragedy...at least we let it happen. In the 6 years since this event I am of the mind that we are better off forgetting. Collectively, we are not responsible enough to remember.

Sep. 11 2007 10:16 AM
Lisa Vives from New York City

what about the line up like dominos of high rises along 42nd street towards the Hudson River? Doesn't that defy belief in this era?

Sep. 11 2007 10:16 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

paul u got an answer for antonio?

Sep. 11 2007 10:14 AM
jawbone

Part 3

I fear for my democratic constitutional representative republic. I fear for my nation. I fear for the future of our children--not from terrorists, but from the likes of Bush and the Neocons. And Rudy.

Bush and Bin Ladin need one another for their macabre dance of power and death.

Seems Rudy wants to be that dance partner when Bush leaves the dance floor.

Sep. 11 2007 10:13 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

Do people wanna work in skyscrapers Brian muses...and the guy from the NYer has an answer...why do people work in mines that collapse? cause you do what you gotta do to survive and earn a living...like new york builds building with anything in mind other than making money

Sep. 11 2007 10:12 AM
jawbone

Part 2

Now, our politicians have made that bargain on the national level, for us and mostly with our acquiescence. We are all losing our liberties--in exchange for...? False sense of security about liquids on planes? When every scientific article I've read about making bombs on planes indicates it would be impossible to to do so without keeping materials very chilled (plus other serious precautions, which would be noticeable), without creating noxious fumes which would certainly alert others to their cooking up something well before the explosives were ready to go boom seriously--and Mr. Former Inspector General agreed that the liquids ban was a good idea! Help!

I've learned to feel sad about how much Americans will give up ethics, liberties, principals (against torture, for example) in return for a sense of being safe, to stay alive, for some, to keep on shopping, for others.

I've learned, on an emotional level, how the Germans, in small little bargains with power, in hopes they could have economic safety, got results which expanded geometrically, much in secret, until there was a Fascist government in total power and willing to make illegal wars of aggression. And corporations were only too happy to use that Hitler, whom they thought they could control, to achieve their ends.

Sep. 11 2007 10:12 AM
Jean from Westchester

We still do those every day things physically like I drive my husband to the train every morning and he takes metro north to his downtown job like he did that morning. But now I say a prayer every morning that he and everyone else on the train comes home safe. He saw the second plane hit and I know that he will never be the same. We go on but there is a quiet sadness.

Sep. 11 2007 10:12 AM
jawbone

One thing that changed shortly after 9/11 for me was that I developed an understanding of the German people of Hitler's day that I may have had on an intellectual level--but now felt on an emotional level.

When Rudy Giuliani suggested that he, as the indispensable man, should remain in the position of mayor due to the extraordinary events of 9/11, that the state law, the elections, etc., should be ignored or overriden with emergency law--and there was less outcry than I believed would occur--then I realized how effective fear is to change people's relationship with their government.

Literally, people were scared to death and became willing to give up that "little liberty," which Franklin had written about at the founding of our country, in order to achieve a "little security." Franklin famously predicted people doing such would achieve neither.

Sep. 11 2007 10:12 AM
Sheila Doyle from Westchester

I lost my youngest brother that day @ the Trade Center so obviously life changed dramatically. After the immediate overwhelming grief and pain, what it did was lead me to look at life and others differently.It left me with a sense of needing to just try and live my life as best as possible, a realization that life is short and can end in a moment. I try to not judge others, to enjoy life and cherish the small stuff instead of sweating the small stuff.

Sep. 11 2007 10:10 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

ya guy from the NYer...why don't we get Marha Stewart on to talk about interior design

Sep. 11 2007 10:09 AM
antonio from park slope

So can steel frame buildings that are not hit by planes still collapse due to fire?

Sep. 11 2007 10:06 AM
Trevor from LIC

BUT WHY DID THE TERRORISTS ATTACK IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Sep. 11 2007 10:04 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

another moment of silence...can you hear me typing? sorry

Sep. 11 2007 10:03 AM
Marc from NYC

Hasn't anyone ever read a Tom Clancy book? At the end of one of his books, a pilot crashes a plane into the Capitol while the President is delivering a speach. Please remind the public and politicians and your guests that using a plane was thought about!

Sep. 11 2007 10:02 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

How do they remember when loved ones died do to an attack from a foriegn entity?....for them everyday is 911...reading of the names, giving the times of the attacks, the heights of the buildings etc is making the events rote learning...no emotion just the facts ma'am...
Brian are you drinking a tall latte while you do this show?

Sep. 11 2007 10:02 AM
Dominc from London via New Jersey

I've grown up in US, and have been living in the UK for the last 7 years. Up until that point, I've spent a majority of my conversations defending the US, saying that despite what's seen on television, it is an inherently a good country to live in, and I was overwhelmed by the sympathy shared among my co-workers of all nations and creeds. Now I almost feel a sense of shame when I return and realise that another freedom has been taken away for the sake of 'security', the increased cynicism and fear demonstrated by the public, and continued ignorance of how America iteracts on the global scale. Watching coverage of Hurricane Katrina seemed to seal it for me-the America that I grew up in, respected, and defended seems to have all but gone, and I am without a place to call home.

Sep. 11 2007 10:02 AM
Jean from Westchester

Every weekday I drive my husband to metro north. every day, I pray that he comes home safe-that all the people come home safe. We go along with our live but ,I think especially, in this area we never really feel safe.

Sep. 11 2007 10:02 AM
ellen reynolds from upper westside

Everything changed.

It dictated where I sent my son to school (avoiding subway commuting or long distances so that at least one of us can "get to him".). If a bag is left on a subway car, I get off and go to another car. I feel much more nervous about my family flying.

I'm saddened to see how people are so prejudice against Muslims and people from the Middle East - and how acceptable it is to express those prejudices publicly.

I've never been so ashamed of the United States government. It will take decades to undo the damage caused by the Bush administration.

Sep. 11 2007 10:00 AM
TM from Brooklyn

Of course, going abroad is different, too, depending on where you go. I found Italy to be about the same. But England-- yikes!

Sep. 11 2007 10:00 AM
Kate from Rockville Centre, NY

Every morning, as my husband leaves for work, I wonder if I will ever see him again. He used to work at the New York Stock Exchange, and has since left to take a job in the suburbs just 10 minutes from our house. My fear hasn't gone away. I still wonder every morning. That is one of the many ways the events of September 11th continue to affect my life.

Sep. 11 2007 09:55 AM
Laurence Berg from Manhattan

My wife and I were both graduate students at Columbia University and on campus the morning of 9/11, but hadn't even met yet. We were both drawn to offer support somehow. My wife worked as a volunteer helping first responders for many days at the World Trade Center, and I started up the group that coordinated the student responses for those who wanted to help, too.

The world is not the same as it was for either of us before 9/11. We were shocked and pained by the horrible loss, and still think about often. And we are both dismayed that Americans did not want to try to understand the complexities that led to the attack and seek a response that could lead to something better for the world.

But the most important change for us has been that we eventually married - something that is very unlikely to have come about were it not for the tragedy.

Sep. 11 2007 09:55 AM
KarMar from NYC

On Sept. 11, 1973, Salvador Allende, the democratically elected leader of Chile, was overthrown with the assistance of covert CIA forces, under the aegis of the Nixon administration.

That the majority of Americans remain willfully ignorant of their own history, the likelihood of future retaliation for real or percieved wrongs, looms large.

Sep. 11 2007 09:55 AM
Christy from Brooklyn

I was living in Cologne, Germany on 9-11-2001. My boss and I sat in quiet horror watching the planes crash that afternoon. When I went out that evening I was numb and no one seemed to realize what had happened. The following day the streets were dead quiet, and everyone that knew me called, though I was from Seattle at the time, just to reach out to an American. A few days later, 30,000 Germans did a silent march over the Rhine, and I was overwhelmed with the sentiment. Even a few weeks later we went to a Turkey, where the Turkish people I met expressed their sympathy, every one of them asking if I was from New York, and I had to say no (I would be happy to go back and say "yes!")

But that sentiment seemed not to be absorbed by the American people or our leaders, at least not in a lasting sense. When thousands die in an earthquake overseas, we send a little money and aid, but lack the motivation or compassion to say "what can we do - we'll do anything to help". I don't know that we ever had it, but it makes me sad that we lost a compassion for the world, and instead became so intent on protecting ourselves and sealing the US in a bubble. I don't see a global society within America, only with out.

Sep. 11 2007 09:54 AM
Char Barnes from Greenwich, CT

I was born in Canada, and after September 11 I bought an American Flag to fly in front of my (Connecticut) house. Today, I have to regularly remind myself that it represents my allegiance to Americans and not the policies of the current administration. The administration was far too comfortable curtailing civil rights, expanding presidential powers and fighting ill-conceived wars. I also feel that our collective memory of the victims of September 11 has been undermined by shame of and disgust in our policies and actions.

Also, my cynicism deepens with every silly bandaid security restriction. In less than five minutes I could think of several ways to smuggle liquids on a plane, yet we must still partake of the ritualized security check.

Finally, I remember watching a Frontline episode about John O'Neill, but I never heard him referred to in all of the hindsight evaluations that we have done, can you comment on this?

Sep. 11 2007 09:54 AM
Trevor from LIC

What is very angering about what has NOT changed is that while 9/11 politicized and radicalized some, it seems most Americans just carry on with their silly, mediocre entertainments. There was no civic engagement or grass-roots interest in democracy, law, foreign affairs or communication; just more technology, tasteless movies, hateful and crass television, and inane, nihilistic Youtube videos.

History will judge us very harshly I feel.

Of course, its only been six years. There's still time.

Sep. 11 2007 09:53 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

when are you palying Enya to really sap it up...

Sep. 11 2007 09:52 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

Democracy? hahah...this caller is totally right...a democracy isn't just voting...And Brian just said "but we have much more freedom than Iran"...if we have to question it we don't have it...

Sep. 11 2007 09:51 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

Line up people drink the koolaid...jawbone is right...No one knew terrorists would use planes?...c'mon we all know they had documents saying just that!...now we do a segment on the US's standing in the world...please love us again...

Sep. 11 2007 09:48 AM
jawbone

oops--missed my typo--al Q "tests" should be "threats."

Sep. 11 2007 09:47 AM
Duke Beaufort from New Rochelle

The defense industry and big oil have more influence than prior to 9/11. Underlying political and economic exploitation that allows terrorists to recruit and remain unmarginalized has continued and accelerated. People in the US are afraid of losing wealth and security as opposed to understanding that sacrifice is required is to make sure that all people in the world have hope and prosperity.

Sep. 11 2007 09:46 AM
Kate Uraneck, MD from NYC DOHMH

I'm now employed in the new growth industry of disaster preparedness and response. On 9/11 I was a physician and journalist here in NYC, now I'm one of over 200 new hires here at the Dept of Health tasked with planning for and responding to the next public health disaster, be it man-made or natural.

I have a great deal of ambivalence that my job even exists, and find it troubling that as our security as a country decreases my job security only increases.

Sep. 11 2007 09:45 AM
Anita McNamara from Elizabeth, NJ

What has changed for me is that I found I had a hidden reserve of hatred for Islam and those who practice it that I never dreamed of. I thought of myself as a complete liberal Black American, but my hatred welled up and I was filled with anger and rage. I have worked very hard to overcome this and to develop more education and tolerance for this religion and culture.

The second thing that has changed is that I noticed - albeit a while later, is how incredibly BADLY grieving people can behave. I think "the Families", for whom we have all had tremendous sympathy, have squandered that sympathy with their squabbling and demads over how the memorial will be laid out (alphabetical, by workplace or fire house or whatever) and other issues.

We all feel for them but the bottom line is death eventually touches every family and individual and the phrase "move on" is not a cliche.

Sep. 11 2007 09:45 AM
jawbone

Part 2

There were other known attempts to use even passenger planes as weapons. This was not a new idea!

And if it was so new to the Bush administration, that is what was remarkable--not the idea of using planes as weapons. What was important is that the new administration wished to do everything its own way, to ignore and toss out wholesale whatever had been done to fight terrorism by the Clinton administration.

The Bush administration has accomplished it missions of obfuscation with her.

Sep. 11 2007 09:44 AM
jawbone

Help! One thing that has not changed is repetition of canards and official excuses.

Shannon, a well-spoken and intelligent sounding caller, just repeated the lie that no one had ever imagined that anyone could use passenger planes as weapons.

Which is was Condi Rice said after it had been revealed that the Bush administration knew about threats of internal strikes by Al Qaeda. Very famous incorrect excuse.

Then, your guest, an expert and someone who ought to know better, agreed with Shannon.

You, yourself, Brian, said nothing!

But Condi Rice, in that summer of the infamous August 6, 2001, PDA (Presidential Daily Briefing) and the attempt by the CIA to get attention paid to what it said, also had attended the G8 conference in Genoa, Italy, where Bush stayed on a US Navy vessal in the harbor rather than the hotel where world leaders were to stay because ***there were warnings that terrorists were going to use airplanes to attack the world leaders in their hotel***.

The conference site was surrounded by antiaircraft weapons. C'mon, Mr. Former Inpsector General, have you too forgotten what we've learned about Al Q tests????

So, not only had someone imagined airplanes could be used as weapons, as missiles, but Condi Rice lived through one such not only imagined but learned about threat. Maybe she forgot.

Sep. 11 2007 09:44 AM
ADRIENNE WEISS from NYC

I worry a lot more about anti semitism, that so many in the arab world think this was an Israeli plot.

Also I worry about the general mindlessness of the US. we are so pre-occupied by pop culture, who said what about rap artists or lindsey lohans most recent arrest etc...we, the citizenry, are asleep at the wheel

Sep. 11 2007 09:44 AM
TM from Brooklyn

Let me tell you something that changed significatly for my mother, who was a second and third-grade teacher in a Brooklyn public school.

Many of my mother's little students were Muslim-- from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Middle East-- and my mother was immediately aware that those little kids were going to need a lot of support and protection, and that was her responsibility.

To the people who said they would never trust someone from the Middle East again, I wish you could just see those innocent children.

Sep. 11 2007 09:43 AM
j.p. from williamsburg

With regards to the guest's response to the question of "what can we do to prepare?"

It's precisely the heart of the problem - 6 years later, no less - to only ask "how can we raise our defenses" rather than try to understand that question we began to ask right after 9/11, "Why?" To be content with "because they hate our freedom" fails to comprehend the problems of US foreign policy and perpetuates a dangerous cultural isolation.

kudos to the caller who picked up belly-dancing.

Sep. 11 2007 09:43 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

This is akin to the Imus affair...people want to be victims....

Sep. 11 2007 09:42 AM
Arun from New Jersey

In one sentence - the snarliness of American public life has achieved an ever-growing crescendo since 9/11.

Sep. 11 2007 09:38 AM

belly dancing...nice USA USA USA USA

Sep. 11 2007 09:37 AM
A from Rockland

I feel that the society has become so much more paranoid. There are new fears and more looking over your shoulder. The short time relief for this seems to be this new version of patriotism, which I cannot partake in. It feels false and not grounded in the right beliefs of for example freedom and pride of living in a great country. This type of patriotism also increases the isolation towards the global community and is so negative and non-progressive. Can we please change this?

Sep. 11 2007 09:33 AM

Totally agreewith Daniel's post 9:20

Sep. 11 2007 09:30 AM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

I forgot to mention in my first post that I was on the roof of my building at Houston and Varick Streets when everything happened. I photographed the whole attack and saw the first building collapse. It’s a day I’ll never forget.

Sep. 11 2007 09:29 AM
Trevor from LIC

Although 9/11 was tragic and today is the day to recognize that loss, can't we as Americans that we're not personally touched keep some perspective and understand how many lives were lost in the 2005 tsunami? Do people in Indonesia live in a "post-tsunami" world?

If anything, 9/11 made me understand that Americans are not as familiar with death and loss as other countries. We think of nothing of dead Iraqis or those circling the Indian ocean, but if a rich, white American dies, then everyone must pay.

Sep. 11 2007 09:28 AM
Tom Riis Farrell from Brooklyn, New York

Am I just being jaded, or do many efforts in the service of Homeland Security exist more to give the appearance of vigilance, rather than actually being vigilant?

Sep. 11 2007 09:27 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

This is embarrassing...the reading of the names...c'mon man have some sense...walk around the city people are trying to just survive in the world as it is...do we really need the bogus sentimentality? and the flute?...man that is silly...if i die in a terrorist attack DO NOT play a flute at my memorial service

Sep. 11 2007 09:27 AM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

I don’t want to politicize this day, but six years later, the negatives far out ways the positives. We have to carry ID everywhere, wait on long lines to travel, and deal with sights like the barricades on Wall Street. We still have the hole at the WTC sight. I’ve retired from my Manhattan job, and don’t travel to the City very often. I do miss the City, but each time I do go in, there’s some new restriction, or a new fortification.

I can’t help but think that things might have been different if we hadn’t been distracted from the real menace by attacking and deposing Sadam. We worry about tooth paste and baby formula, but do nothing about rooting out the bad guys. As I watched the hearings yesterday, I couldn’t help thinking that all those suits behind the mahogany, and the general with his ribbons, are trying to frighten us over a guy in a Groucho pasted on beard.

Sep. 11 2007 09:23 AM
Kathryn

NYC is a jewel, and most of the time represents the best the world has to offer. I got to see first-hand the way that people from all walks of life banded together during this tragedy and its aftermath. But at the same time, I also saw people's ignorance rise to the surface as the national government began beating its war drums. I began learning as much as I could about the countries, cultures and religions of the people that are frequent targets of misplaced anger and fear. This effort was to try to combat that ignorance whenever possible, and pass along to my daughter an openminded and informed lense through which to view the world.

Sep. 11 2007 09:23 AM
Robert from Brooklyn

note to Brian, re Mr. Ervin's not getting approved by Senate committee, in 2004, the Republicans had the majority, as you noted, Susan Collins was chair, Joe Lieberman was senior minority (and noted for militant positions) and you asked whether the Democrats(!) kept him from having his nomination reviewed?

Sep. 11 2007 09:22 AM
Margaret Oget (O zhay/) from Atlanta (formerly Manhattan)

I am of a generation that didn't really remember Vietnam. Now I know Vietnam. Having moved to Atlanta only a month before 9/11, I watched the television for any glimpse of NYC I could get here in the heart of red-state America. And I will never forget the sight of hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers begging their country NOT to go to war on their behalf. When will we ever learn?

Sep. 11 2007 09:21 AM
Kathleen O'Neill from Manhattan

In the period immediately following 9/11/01 I came to believe that a phoenix truly would arise out of the ashes and that the american people would lead world to the abolishment of war and a beginning to a dialogue about fear and hatred and how to diminish their power and allure for leaders. Instead the change has been that we have become the enemy. We have accepted the lies of our leaders in order to secure our ability to consume. We have sent our men and women to die for - even I can't write what I believe that to be. We have invaded a country that posed no threat to us for the purpose of establishing a military base in the middle east and to secure an additional source of oil. We are no longer respected we are feared. The damage done by our choices will be difficult to repair and still I believe that our children's children will find a better way and hopefully forgive us.

Sep. 11 2007 09:21 AM
Daniel from NYC

"There are certain things the private sector can't do/shouldn't do."

If the government is better at running the TSA for our physical security, the same should hold true of our bodies' security. The gov't should remove the private sector from healthcare, and give americans true Health Security!

Sep. 11 2007 09:20 AM
William Grother from Robbinsville, NJ

My psyche. I am not the person I was before that day. 9/11 has had an insidious effect on my view of the world. I am no longer as liberal as I was and my definition of patriotism has changed quite a bit. And my personality has suffered. I cannot seem to let go of the events of that day -- the memories lie just below the surface, and on this day, they overwhelm me. I don't know what it will take to put it all behind me. I have a better appreciation for what Pearl Harbor veterans have gone through since that day 65 years ago.

Sep. 11 2007 09:18 AM
Daniel from NYC

Since 9/11 I've a sense of shame at being an american. Our leadership squandered a key moment in world history in favor of shortsighted goals.

Didn't DHS get established in 2002, and not right around 9/11 like your guest is saying? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Homeland_Security

Finally, why must we make our nation a police state of constant security and fear? Is that how Britain faced IRA bombings?

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither"

Sep. 11 2007 09:18 AM
CL from NYC

After 9/11, I decided that I wanted to have more Middle Eastern friends in my life. This eventually led me to start exploring music from Arab countries. I fell in love with the songs of Oum Kalsoumm, Fairouz, and Farid Al-Atrache, and then one day I decided to take a bellydance class. Long story short, I ended up falling for it hard, and have since become a performer of Egyptian dance. I study with people from all over the world, have made friends with musicians and dancers from here and from there, and have also learned a great deal about the overall history and culture of that vast and diverse region. If you want to understand a culture, listen to its music. And incidentally, terrorists hate music and dance. I decided to take my stand against them by celebrating and connecting.

Sep. 11 2007 09:17 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

any one that didn't have a "loved one" killed on sept 11th needs to get over the mourning, "never forget"?...they (you) won't let us forget!...the country was railroaded into the patriot act and paranoia...this clark kent guy is part of the problem...the problem is the USA's policies around the world....

Sep. 11 2007 09:14 AM
dan from mamaroneck, ny

not a day goes by but i don't think of 9/11 in some way -- the immense destruction, the suffering and despair that day, the indescribable valor.
and then of course, all that has come afterward: the perversion of what this country has meant, to itself and to all people around the world. 9/11 has to be wrenched free from the disgusting manipulation and exploitation of it by those with agendas of their own.
what has changed for me? just about everything. i don't travel overseas nearly as much, nor do i feel comfortable for my children traveling: this world has become a less safe place for americans, a consequence of events that happened AFTER 9/11.

Sep. 11 2007 09:02 AM
Dan from Kearny, NJ

It has MADE me look at ALL middle-Easterners with suspicion. Can't help it.

Sep. 11 2007 09:00 AM
Trevor from LIC

When the subways flooded a month or two ago, it was clear little has been done as far as the MTA is concerned: no communication, no announcements. I was at Grand Central terminal with lots of other people with just confused looks on our faces. Luckily, nothing was really wrong, but the lack of information was very troubling.

Sep. 11 2007 08:59 AM
Heather Hill from Morristown, NJ

I emerged from the Fulton St. subway station just after the first plane hit on that day. I had lived in NYC for all of two months.

I have a strong feeling for to the city in which I lived for two years and where I always had dreamed of living. I still have a visceral response when I see pictures of those planes flying into the buildings and the buildings falling. I can still hear the sound of the second plane hitting the building and the first tower falling. I remember the feeling of running for my life. My life changed so that I'll never have the same feeling of easy security I used to have. I have a great respect for every day I've had since then as a gift to be lived to the fullest. My life changed very intimately and personally.

Sep. 11 2007 08:53 AM
Trevor from LIC

I have maintained for some time we do not live in a "post-9/11" world; rather, we live in a post "Patriot Act" world. The Bush administration's exploitation of the attacks and their illegal war in Iraq have changed more than the events six years ago ever could.

Whereas we as Americans still enjoy meaningless reality tv, SUVs, and celebrities just as we did before the attacks, our civil liberties have eroded into defenseless platitudes. Only now we consume with an underlying fear about some anonymous enemy which we continally claim not to understand, and our leaders have effectively set up a faroff Orwellian war against "Oceania" to maintain a wartime complicity.

Wouldn't it have been nice if we had simply gone after Osama bin Laden, renewed our outlook on the sanctity of life, and then reached out to other countries in the world peacefully through charity, diplomacy, culture and sport?

No wonder Hunter Thompson shot himself.

Sep. 11 2007 08:15 AM
Rose Rowland from New York

I evacuated from a subway car at around 8:45 a.m. that day. The first thing I heard after getting out of the subway at Federal Plaza was a woman saying "The Towers Fell". Sept 10 feels like the last day of security and innocence I had in my own country. Since then, I've always carried a feeling of insecurity - I no longer trust my govt to protect me.

Sep. 11 2007 08:05 AM
Richy Rich from UWS

A lot of cosmetic things in public places are different - more security lines, cameras everywhere - and more sinister things too like the government's disregard for civil liberties and the erosion of the US's credibility around the world. But mostly, people have the same trivial concerns (Britney Spears, etc.) and narrow "America first" view of the world as ever before.

Sep. 11 2007 07:34 AM
jimmese wilson from united arab emiartes via newark new jersey

For me everything changed. I have become an expatriate in a distant land away from my home, because, I just got tired of being realted to Osamana, as many thought. I am ok, here but I miss my home and feel that as a Muslim who wheres hijab, that I am not ready to be the stranger within.

I used to go to the wtc everyday and I could have been amnoug those hurt or killed. Like the Muslim Bengalis who worked in the news stands.

Sep. 11 2007 04:20 AM
superf88

Billions across the world have become more "globalized," more aware of the people around them who are different, in the past 10 years.

Americans have too. Through the prism not of Chinese electric cars, of fresh New Zealand lamb, of Indian bankers buying chunks of 718 but of one thing, by itself:

9/11.

When we've finally "recovered" how different will we discover the world around us has become?

Sep. 10 2007 10:10 PM
Quentin

I used to enjoy flying but since 9/11 all that is changed. Sure we needed to increase security at our airports but are we truly safer? Did we have to sacrafice service for safety?

Sep. 10 2007 08:13 PM
Ray from NY

I was flying in from Oakland, CA that day, and we were in descent to land at Kennedy just before the first plane crashed into the WTC, when we abruptly dropped and flew up the NJ side to land at Stewart AFB in NY (just as the last plane crashed in PA).

We had direct TV on the flight and watched the whole thing on CNN - we plane passengers were amazingly numb and quiet, there was no panic.

I didn't realize this, but I unconsciously avoided the WTC area for at least three years. One day, I emerged out of the subway at the site going to a business meeting, and was struck by an emotional and ineffable sense of loss, fear, destruction, terror, and sadness inside me, that I didn't even really realize until then. It was quite emotional. I think we all have some portion of that latent sadness inside us now, and have to accept it, try to understand it, and continue to move into the future in a positive, constructive, and purposeful way. Overall, 9/11 has strengthened my determination to life a good life.

Sep. 10 2007 07:26 PM
Mark from Washington Heights

All the fun has been taken out of flying. The new and ever-changing rules and regulations, security lines and searches, lines at the ticket counters... now I choose to travel by train as much as I can to avoid airports at all costs. There are none of the security hassles on a train trip, no lines, and I can bring liquids and more carry-ons.

Sep. 10 2007 06:47 PM
Henry Pierre from NYC

Since the 9/11 attacks, I have lost much respect for this country and the American public since I feel as though many people think that the fighting is happening “over there” and as long as nothing is going on here, it is business as usual. I teach ESL and one of my students remarked that he felt that as long as Americans have their credit cards, Gap jeans, and Starbucks coffee in the morning, the world in fine and dandy.

I also find the rise in a false patriotism where USA IS No.1 attitude astounds me since we now have entered a global world and yet with all communication resources available, Americans seem so apathetic about what is happening in the outside world.

Henry

Sep. 10 2007 04:13 PM
Scott from Park Slope

I can't go on the roof of my building at work anymore. I used to play bagpipes up there and I even slept up there once when I was covering an early-morning story.

Sep. 10 2007 11:47 AM