Best Movies of 2012

Friday, December 21, 2012

Slate movie critic Dana Stevens discusses some of the end-of-year films, including "Les Misérables," "Django Unchained" and "Zero Dark Thirty" -- and her best films of the year.

Dana Stevens

Ericka

FLIGHT, with Denzel Washington.

Dec. 26 2012 11:39 AM
The Truth from Becky

Yep Fuva, cancelled, I can't believe that either.

Dec. 21 2012 12:13 PM
Mike from Manhattan

I saw the Hobbit last week. If you already love the Tolkien/Jackson Middle Earth world, you will love the Hobbit. (I first read the Lord of the Rings in 1966, and several times since, so I have been both inclined to love the movies and expecting to be hyper-critical.) I was surprised when it ended because the time went by so fast. But, I thoroughly agree that the 48 fps does not work...not for the reasons Ms. Stevens cites, but because pan shots are almost painful. There is something that cause even more disruption of the visual field than in 24 fps.

Dec. 21 2012 11:58 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I walked through the lower end of the Columbus Circle subway station recently, & it's lined w/ads for "The Hobbit." I don't think I saw one single female hobbit in any of them. Doesn't make me feel like seeing it.

On "Zero Dark Thirty," clips I've heard make it sound as though the "100% certain" character's vehemence & anger make her right all by themselves. Also doesn't make me feel like seeing it (in addition to reports of an extended torture scene).

Dec. 21 2012 11:57 AM
mm

The Hobbit was a lot of fun, esp. if you're a Tolkien fan. It was fun in spite of it's flaws, and you can tell it's made with a lot of love.
48 frames per second looks bad, the way video(29.976 fps) looks worse than film (24fps).

Dec. 21 2012 11:54 AM
Annie Dell'Aria from Sunnyside, NY

Could not disagree more on the Hobbit. It's awesome! Jackson was able to take a less epic text and still make it have an epic feel, not to mention Martin Freeman is amazing as Bilbo. Definitely go see it. I saw it in IMAX 3D and loved it. The crispness of the image is fantastic. I plan to see it again in HFR over the holidays.

Dec. 21 2012 11:53 AM
fuva from harlemworld

So they canceled the premiere for 'Django Unchained', huh?

Dec. 21 2012 11:02 AM
Barbara from Chester, NJ

The Hobbit is so not worth 3 hours of your time. It just feels like a mediocre redeux of Lord of the Rings, can't imagine wasting my time seeing the next installments.

Dec. 21 2012 10:07 AM