Farming and The Big Apple

Thursday, September 06, 2007

The annual Farm Aid benefit concert takes place on New York’s Randall’s Island on Sunday. Ted Quaday, Farm Aid's Program Director, and Bergen County farmer Ron Binaghi III, talk about why family farms matter in New York.

Ron Binaghi III and Ted Quaday

Ron Binaghi SR. from Old Tappan NJ

Our farm was represented on the show today. To respond to # 3 above

We do not receive any gvt. aid. We also pay taxes. Did you really think otherwise? as far as home values, it does depend on the buyer, however it is proven that a farm requires less municipal services such as police, fire, DPW etc so it pays to have one in your town to keep the taxes (the kind we pay) down. For instance if we sold our farm for development the town would need to build a new school for the influx of kids. It is the school that takes about 75% of local taxes. No farmers / No food.

Sep. 06 2007 08:26 PM
chestine from NY

Brian - I think the farm story is a big one and i would love to hear Michael Pollan, Sally Fallon and Nina Planck talk about why sustainable farming is important to us all and why local food is important to everyone - I believe in knowing my farmers, having read a lot about what our food supply is really made of. It's a big right we need to safeguard before it's too late.

Sep. 06 2007 11:39 AM
R from brooklyn

Also in his book is the story of Earl Butz, infamous head of Dept of Agriculture, who, to undermine the political influence of small family farmers, pushed through a change in New Deal farm support from one of a revolving loan to a subsidy program. What about a return to that?

Sep. 06 2007 11:28 AM
janet hammond from alphabet city

I also grew up in Demarest, NJ. I live in Manhattan now. The Binaghis do a wonderful job and they sold me all the plants for my wedding decorations. They offer great service and I am eternally greatful. I heard about Stokes Farm on Leonard Lopate's show.

Sep. 06 2007 11:22 AM
Heather Floyd from East Harlem

Brian, please mention that NYCers can join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program to get a fantastic selection of fresh, local & organic produce every week - and directly support small family farms in the area.

We love the one we belong to - Carnegie Hill / Yorkville CSA (http://veggies.home.mindspring.com/)
CSAs in NYC: http://www.justfood.org/csa/
CSAs in the USA: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Sep. 06 2007 11:21 AM
Robert from NYC

Exactly right, an affordable way to get these products. I fully support farmers getting a good salary by leaving out a middle man but I've noticed over the years that the fruits and vegetables have increased in price to some very high prices especially the "organic" produce. For example, at the Farmers' Market in the Bronx two days ago an apple--a single apple--was going for a buck, and that's the South Bronx!! C'mon that's a bit steep.

Sep. 06 2007 11:20 AM
levjos from Somerset County, NJ

What government aid do local farms (such as this one in Old Tappan) receive? For example, do they pay taxes?

Also, does the presence of their farm add to the home property values around it, do they know?

Because I have noticed that when a farm is replaced by a cluster of treeless McMansions here in Somerset County it surprisingly does not seem to reduce property values. Maybe it's just different buyers.

Sep. 06 2007 11:19 AM
Cory E. Friedman from NYC

Sorry, but the prices of seats (not lawn) are beyond what I can spend to hear Willie or support farmers. Look at the price list. A little radical chic? Where's Tom Wolfe when we need him. It's pretty ironic.

Sep. 06 2007 11:18 AM
chestine from NY

support lobbyists who support local farming! check out the farm-to-consumer legal defense fund

thanks