Open Phones: Brick-and-Mortar Shopping

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

McNally Jackson book store in SOHO.

Last week, listeners called in to talk about what they buy online. Now, let's hear it for face-to-face holiday shopping.  Tell us why your brick-and-mortar store is the place to shop, and give shoppers advice on how to make the most of the in-store experience.

Suggesta from nyc

My suggestion for those searching for indie stores (non-chains) is to take a walk in your neighborhood's shopping area and you can pretty quickly figure out who is a small biz and who is a national/regional chain.

I love walking in this city. Window shopping, if you will.

Just use your legs and maybe do a little online research for local shops. People post reviews and some search sites provide maps and directions.

I like small biz shopping, you get to talk to a person who cares about helping you find what you want...sometimes they actually want to know more about you and where you live, and what you do - the national/regional chains don't really "go there."

There are pros/cons to everything.

Dec. 18 2012 12:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

If a store is still "struggling to reopen," does that mean it is open but struggling to stay that way or that it hasn't managed to reopen yet? Brian & staff, could you post a list of independent stores in Sandy-affected areas that are open for business & add more as they reopen, so listeners won't be looking for stores & finding them still closed? It could be like the lists that were posted on WNYC showing opportunities to volunteer in the initial recovery efforts. Thanks.

Dec. 18 2012 12:18 PM
Sophiesmother from Port Jervis, NY

Please come to Port Jervis on the Train and shop at UPFRONT ART GALLERY at 31 Front Street or 27 Gallery at 27 Front Street. 845-856-2727. Open 12-5 Wednesday through Sunday.

Dec. 18 2012 12:02 PM
Kate from Washington Heights

Can we get a written list of the ideas people are giving? Thanks!

Dec. 18 2012 11:54 AM
Brenda from Jersey City, NJ

I am sadden to know that places like Amazon offer better prices than local shops and wish this would change for the sake of local shops. I was discouraged when I wanted to buy a case for a phone at the mall and I was being charged twice as much as I bought it for online. VERY SAD. Then I wanted to buy a high end scotch for my husband and saw it online for about $30 less, but I did go to a local liquor store and bought it there. However, imagine if I was making minimum wage!! Would I want to save $30?! Yes!! Something needs to be done or we will all be buying online all the time and it will be sad to not be able to go shopping at the mall and or local shops.

Dec. 18 2012 11:52 AM
Sara from Bushwick

My small business will be joining many talented local artists and crafters at the Littlefield in Park Slope this weekend for the annual Brooklyn Craft Central Holiday Fair - good stuff to be found there, with gift wrapping and custom crafty drinks like the Wooly Knit and the Glue Gun. Yeah!

Dec. 18 2012 11:51 AM
Leo from queens

people should not be able to buy Ammunition and weapons online. They should be bought on a brick and mortar store and owners should record and report ALL sales.

We are a sick society where we are restricted from buying multiple gallons of milk on sale but can make thousands of rounds of ammo so we can slaughter and butcher innocent children

Dec. 18 2012 11:50 AM
Cookiest of NYC from South Street Seaport

Come out to the Fulton Stall Market at the South Street Seaport to buy my global variety of holiday cookies!!! I bake cookies from every continent from Nigerian peanut KuliKuli to German honey-spice Lebkuchen to Chinese almond Hsing-jen-ping plus many traditional American varieties. It's a veritable culture of cookies! Sunday from 11AM - 4PM... Happy Holidays!!!

The Cookiest of NYC :)

Dec. 18 2012 11:48 AM
tom from LIC/Astoria

In my neighborhood, LICity/Astoria now there are three times as many 99 cent stores, than Starbucks. All the items are made in China. Ive asked, they are Chinese owned and operated. To get to them I walk past empty buildings where manufacturing was not long ago. I try to buy American made in American owned stores. I think this is a growing trend. It better be.

Dec. 18 2012 11:11 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

Same question as last week's segment....What do we do about sales taxes. The Bricks and Mortar stores pay them. The online retailers do not. Shouldn't Congress be acting to close this loophole for tax evaders?

Dec. 18 2012 10:49 AM