A Father Mourns the Loss of His Daughter's Best Friend

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Newtown, Connecticut, is a small town nestled in Fairfield County. It is home to roughly 27,000. Its main street, Churchill Road, winds through the town center past restaurants and shops and Colonial style homes draped in Christmas decorations.

Locals say it's a community where everyone knows each other.   After the school shooting, the small, picture-book Connecticut town wonders how it will pick up the pieces.

It's not only the immediate family of the 26 people whose lives were taken on Friday, but neighbors and friends who now face tasks that no parents ever should.

It's people like Glenn Schicker, who lives in the neighborhood.

His 6-year old daughter attends Sandy Hook elementary school. She was not injured,  but her best friend is among the 20 children killed.

Here is Glenn Schicker's story, as told to WNYC's Yasmeen Khan. Starting with when he first learned that there had been a shooting at his little girl's school.

"She lost her best friend," he said through tears. "She lost her best friend yesterday. A sweet little girl who's like a daughter to us as well."

Hosted by:

Yasmeen Khan

Tags:

More in:

Lee Mingione

In this country money talks and everything else walks. If you are outraged as I am you must do what I have done. Send money and support to those organizations that fight for stronger gun control. I hope this will help turn the tide.

Dec. 16 2012 04:52 PM
Max from Suburban NJ

Getting back on topic, I'm the dad of a ten-year-old. My heart aches, shredded by the wrenching pain I feel just imagining what the parents of the six- and seven-year-old victims have been through these past days. I fight tears with every new revelation, frequently without success.

Newtown, I share in your grief, your pain, your anger, your confusion. I embrace you, wishing I had the power to bring you peace. I won't pretend to begin to understand what you must be going through. To the degree that we can, though, we all share in your loss, a loss beyond comprehension, a loss that words and language can not begin to describe.

Dec. 16 2012 11:46 AM
interest from nyc

did anyone catch the Post this morning? they are practically letting the mother take the fall for this.
She, like many law abiding gun owners never killed a soul.

Let's not lose sight that she too was murdered - was she trying to stop her son from killing others?
I don't know. Why was she the first person on his kill-list?
The one woman with the most power to stop this, to alert the authorities to Do Something was also the first to go.
Interesting.
I would hate to see law abiding gun lovers/ gun enthusiasts have to take the fall for the actions of criminals and mentally ill people. Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
Full discloser: I do not own a weapon, but have shot an M16 and an uzi gun - it was no picnic.

Dec. 16 2012 10:49 AM
cycologist from NJ

When I hear on the radio "the police is trying to figure out why it happened I get sick." First reason: The guy had a gun, one thing that distinguishes the USA from other civilized countries. That a gun can be easily obtained by any disturbed person in this country is the first and foremost reason for the high level of gun violence and mass shootings in this country. There is no gun violence without guns!!!

The NRA will say: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. But this is reverse logic. In countries with tough gun control, people without guns do not shoot people, look at some statistics:

Oh, I forgot: It is an expression of personal freedom to have guns and to accept that 20 children at an elementary school are shot, many of them multiple times, and many of them from close distance. I hope nobody will ever use their great freedoms in this way on anyone ever again...

What type of mind comes up with NRA logic?

Dec. 16 2012 10:19 AM
mercedes from cortlandt manor

Other than the money spent by the NRA and the threats made to individualmembersof congress, my great isssue is that they KNOW WHAT IS NEEDED to address this issue. AND they really know that assault weapons should not be in the hands of many people as well as some people should not have access to weapns at all (this could also include classes andconfirmation that their weapns are locked up and secure from others who would do harm.) Instead, they prefer to take a very polarized stance on their INDIVIDUAL rights. Abortion is a close issue with exception to the fact that it is our INDIVIDUAL bodies that are they are attempting to control. We need more education about firearms and there is a compromise out there with this one(Step up, NRA!) Another possiblity??? Perhapps we could have fingerprint only guns as in tha last 007 film--one that can be only shot by the person who bought it.

Dec. 16 2012 10:01 AM
Claire Meng

The NRA & its interest groups need to be silenced through legislation and enforcement. Schools should not need to be bullet proof, 'value' education is lacking in the "Common Core".

Dec. 16 2012 09:40 AM
pru

what is the nra?
why is it so powerful?

The "right to bear arms" has yet to protect the innocent victims that decided to go see movie, go to a house of worship or attend elementary school. I guess they did not realize that in America, we have to protect ourselves in the most innocent of settings... they didn't realize that there is no safe haven for people in a country run by the NRA.

Dec. 16 2012 09:35 AM
David Carrington

One of the common denominators of many of these horrible shootings is kids getting hold of their parent's guns. I do not expect Congress to do much of anything to address our maniacal obsession with guns, but things can be done on an individual basis. I was heartened to learn of the seven NFL players who disposed of their guns after Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend then himself. They concluded there really was no good reason to have them. People who possess guns to "protect" their family are deluding themselves. They are ironically putting their family at great risk. They too should relinquish these guns and learn from the Newtown tragedy. If they can't go that far then these guns should be locked up. People need to wake up.

Dec. 16 2012 09:22 AM
Lewis Kuppermann from Manlius NY

How can your heart and tears go out to those losses.

Dec. 15 2012 08:11 PM