Star Trek - The Original Music for the Original Series

« previous episode | next episode »

Sunday, December 16, 2012

The original Star Trek television series ran for just three seasons (1966-1969), but it made an indelible impact on viewers, fans, and American culture. Along with the stories, characters, and visuals of the series, the music composed for the show contributed to the power and magic of Star Trek.

La-La Land, a west coast record company, has just released a 15 CD boxed set of every note of music composed for the original Star Trek. This compendium was a labor of love for its producers, and one of them, Jeff Bond, joins David Garland to present selections from this treasure trove of dynamic, dramatic, evocative music composed by some of the most effective, imaginative composers working in television at that time. This interview was heard last week on Garland's WQXR show Movies on the Radio, and he provides different commentary and additional music on this Spinning On Air. Composers featured include Alexander Courage, George Duning, Gerald Fried, Fred Steiner, Jerry Fielding, Sol Kaplan, and others.

Eric Reinholt from Darby, Pennsylvania

I am glad that there are a few sets of this music remaining. I only found out it had been released yesterday, and immediately purchased a copy.

The producer Jeff Bond's story sounds similar to my experiences growing up with Star Trek. I've been collecting the music and reproductions of the music whenever and wherever they were available.

This music has a tremendous emotional influence on me and I can't wait to listen to it all.

Terrific interview and I hope you had as much fun making the interview as I had listening to it.

Feb. 16 2014 08:15 AM
Broom

This is a wonderful interview and program. Is there any way to download this interview?

May. 05 2013 02:01 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Love this! Thank you!

Apr. 09 2013 08:44 AM
Kristin

David Garland's tour of the music from the original "Star Trek" series persuaded me to buy a new 15-CD box set of all the music used for the series, and some that was dropped, thus setting a personal best for the most money I've ever spent on a single music purchase. Thank you, David for reminding me of the beauty, innovation and thoughtful composition that epitomized these soundtracks. My pocketbook is thinner, but I'm richer for it.

Dec. 30 2012 08:58 PM
Steven Mitchell

I have never in my life heard an interview I appreciated more! I am a child of the 70s, and I knew from the first exotic flute solo what I was listening to. Thank you David for this wonderful hour!

Dec. 30 2012 08:58 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

How freaky can the world get? My son (21) and I (56) have been watching one Star Trek TOS episode per week since the 45th anniversary in September, 2011. We are about halfway through the second season. For Christmas, my son gave me the two CDs of the original televison soundtrack....Thanks for the extra education.

Dec. 30 2012 08:51 PM
Curt McAloney from Rosemount, MN 66058

Awesome! Amazing sound quality!

Dec. 20 2012 04:24 PM