Watch: President Obama Addresses Conn. School Shooting

Friday, December 14, 2012

President Barack Obama delivered a statement about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday. Watch the video and read the remarks.

"We’ve endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years. And each time I learn the news I react not as a president, but as anybody else would -- as a parent. And that was especially true today. I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do." - President Obama

THE PRESIDENT:  This afternoon, I spoke with Governor Malloy and FBI Director Mueller.  I offered Governor Malloy my condolences on behalf of the nation, and made it clear he will have every single resource that he needs to investigate this heinous crime, care for the victims, counsel their families.

We’ve endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years.  And each time I learn the news I react not as a President, but as anybody else would -- as a parent.  And that was especially true today.  I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do.

The majority of those who died today were children -- beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old.  They had their entire lives ahead of them -- birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own.  Among the fallen were also teachers -- men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams.

So our hearts are broken today -- for the parents and grandparents, sisters and brothers of these little children, and for the families of the adults who were lost.  Our hearts are broken for the parents of the survivors as well, for as blessed as they are to have their children home tonight, they know that their children’s innocence has been torn away from them too early, and there are no words that will ease their pain.

As a country, we have been through this too many times.  Whether it’s an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago -- these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children.  And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.

This evening, Michelle and I will do what I know every parent in America will do, which is hug our children a little tighter and we’ll tell them that we love them, and we’ll remind each other how deeply we love one another.  But there are families in Connecticut who cannot do that tonight.  And they need all of us right now.  In the hard days to come, that community needs us to be at our best as Americans.  And I will do everything in my power as President to help.

Because while nothing can fill the space of a lost child or loved one, all of us can extend a hand to those in need -- to remind them that we are there for them, that we are praying for them, that the love they felt for those they lost endures not just in their memories but also in ours.

May God bless the memory of the victims and, in the words of Scripture, heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds.

Tags:

More in:

feel

It is obvious that those classrooms do'nt have enough exits for kids and teachers to eacape, and no good safe things for them to hide behind. How about if it was a big threatening earthquake? or maybe war zone? That school might not have good safe thoughtful enough design in the beginning.

Dec. 17 2012 10:37 AM
tom from wall streeet

22 children stabbed by a psycho in china too. Obama inadvertently killed 176 children in drone strikes. He doesn't care. Why did the same thing happen in china on the same day?Testing different markets? They want us to Be afraid of each other, not the government who is letting corporations take over everything and destroy the economy and the natural world. Especially when Congresses approval rating is 10%. China with the biggest population and production, America with the military and consumer culture. Why do mass shootings mostly happen here? Why do beloved peace activists always get assassinated by lone psychos? Drugs and brainwashing? Why does the news so repetitively and consistently take statistically small horrific crimes and repeat them 24/7? To hammer in the idea that we need them to protect us against each other not the corporations that are killing everything.

Dec. 15 2012 02:19 PM
Hillary from Phoenix, Arizona

The innocent children and teachers involved are the only issue of importance at this moment. Politics should be completely removed. Republican or Democrat makes zero difference to any parent, child, brother, sister or friend whose hearts are broken tonight. The support they need at this time goes far beyond most comprehension. Why not take a moment to realize how un-imaginable this has to be for anyone who might have lost a child this morning, and pray they have the strength to get through this horrific event. My thoughts & prayers are with those who lost their loved ones. There are no words to possibly say for the loss of a child.....

Dec. 14 2012 06:38 PM
Ariane P from Montreal, Canada

Dear neighbours of the South, my deepest condolences to the parents and family of those killed, and to your entire nation.

You have a great President, I hope we had someone like that here.

Ariane

Dec. 14 2012 04:55 PM
Andrew from Ottawa, Canada

Dear Neighbours to the south;
I have always liked Americans, our best friends. But to be a true friend, one should always speak the truth however painfull.
The truth is, it's time to grow up...there are no more cowboys and indians...when the founding fathers wrote the second ammendment it took a full 20 minutes to reload a single shot of their flint-lock musket. Thats enough time for someone near by to fashion a club out of a tree and "whack you upside the head" Do you get my point? Many of you will not.
I am not some crazy socialist, I am a Conservative. If I were American I'd likely be a Republican. But a great many of your NRA types will never get the message, so I am going to make it perfectly clear to them so everyone understands.
On monday morning I am going to see my Member of Parliment, and I am going to ask him to draft a "private members bill" to put the following into law.
I expect it will pass the house wilh all parties voting unanimously in support. We will pass a bill into law that allows for the immediate arrest and imprisonment of any person entering Canada with a undeclared firearm for a mandatory prison term of not less than 10 years, with no possibility of perole. (you are of course the source of all handguns in our country). While this might seem harsh, it may "make it real" for some people.
Trying to be a friend,

Andrew.

Dec. 14 2012 04:37 PM
tonya hill from new smyrna beach,fl.

very nice message to our country.but mr president are your children protected at school,at the theatre,at the mall? then why shouldn't our children be protected?

Dec. 14 2012 04:08 PM
Lorraine Lesko from Stow, Ohio

I agree. All kinds of other crap is on. Why not our President?

Dec. 14 2012 03:57 PM
james matterhorn

Why is there not an option to play a recording of the live video? This is not good design.

Dec. 14 2012 03:39 PM