Holiday Gifts: Books

Friday, December 14, 2012

Housing Works Bookstore Cafe is one of the sponsors of the 2011 Brooklyn Book Festival. Housing Works Bookstore Cafe is one of the sponsors of the 2011 Brooklyn Book Festival. (Chinkerfly)

James Hannaham, Village Voice book reviewer and the author of the novel God Says No, shares what books he'd give as gifts this holiday season. What books are you giving as gifts this year? Post here or call 212-433-9692!

James Hannaham
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Vickie

What was the sheet music book mentioned?

Dec. 26 2012 05:17 PM
Sarah

Can you post the list of books that were recommended from this interview? They were listed so quickly I didn't catch them all. Thanks.

Dec. 14 2012 12:25 PM
Adrienne from Inwood

I highly recommend a very entertaining historical novel: Richard Mason's "History of a Pleasure Seeker." For folks who want to hear the music in the novel come alive and explore other dimensions of the novel, the author also created an eLume (an interactive app for iPhone or iPad) that truly amplifies the pleasure of the reading experience. The audio version is read by Cousin Dan from "Downton Abbey" and it's great.

Dec. 14 2012 11:56 AM
millie from NYC

I recommend Dazzled by Darkness by Erica Miles -- a book about life in Brooklyn, NY in the sixties. Exciting read about a romance between a telepathic Jewish girl from Brooklyn and an Afro-Latino art student who is destined to become America's most controversial artist.

Dec. 14 2012 11:54 AM
Freddy Jenkins

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain. A great novel about soldier's on leave from Iraq at a Dallas Cowboys' game.

Dec. 14 2012 11:53 AM
Karen from NYC

"The Patriarch" (My husband is Irish-American and I hope he's not listening to/reading this post); an Ayurvedah cook book (my son); "The Round House," to a good friend; Diaz, "This is How You Lose Her" -- to me!; NW, Zadie Smith.

Dec. 14 2012 11:48 AM
John A.

"Catholicism" by Robert Barron. I bought the book for myself before knowing about his other work, but it turns out the author also keeps up a very active YouTube account. For those that don't know about YouTube, it has one of the most active Athiest communities, so Father Barron is not shy about a challenge. For family.

Dec. 14 2012 09:53 AM