Please Explain: Stress, Part 1

Friday, December 14, 2012

This week’s Please Explain is all about stress—and why it can take a toll on our mental and physical health. We're joined by Dr. Drew Ramsey, Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, looks at how stress affects our health and ways to cope with stress and anxiety in everyday life. He’s co-author of The Happiness Diet. And Rajita Sinha, director of the Yale Stress Center, and Professor of Psychiatry, Neurobiology and Child Study at Yale University School of Medicine.

Please Explain Stress, Part 2.

Dr. Drew Ramsey and Rajita Sinha

Gary from Port Washington NY

This was a great segment, please have them back so they can be on for the full segment. It is too bad that it was cut short due to the killings and tragedy in CT.

Dec. 15 2012 02:14 AM
Jf from Dystopia

How can we allow corporations to create a product that only has one illegal purpose-murder.

Dec. 14 2012 02:05 PM
RICHARD Z from Tarrytown, NY

What symptoms do you distinguish as the difference between what you would diagnose as stress, and what you would diagnose as anxiety. (Not Generalized Anxiety)
Richard, Psychotherapist & Mental Health Counselor in Tarrytown

Dec. 14 2012 01:57 PM
Francine from Morristown NJ

I've been going to a very stressful moment in my life for about a year related to school and job loss. I have all sympoms, sleep deprivation, stomach issues, hair loss... I always knew to deal with stress we should eradicate the cause. This is a situation where it's off my hands to do something.
My question whats the best way to deal with a stressful situation that you can't fix?

Dec. 14 2012 01:53 PM
Denise from Mahopac

What are the different effects of physiological stress on the body versus psychological stress if any?

Dec. 14 2012 01:39 PM
Dozi

What does one do if their job is to deal with people/customers who evoke stress onto them on a daily basis?

Dec. 14 2012 01:35 PM
Tony from Canarsie

This topic can't be stressed enough.

Dec. 14 2012 01:30 PM
Penny from Downtown

Biologically, how does a shot of whiskey soak up an adrenalin rush?

Dec. 14 2012 01:28 PM
Lisa from Forest Hills, NY

My stress seems to elevate during change. I use daily physical exercise and meditation to combat stress. Also, healthy eating is often not given enough focus with this topic. It works!

Dec. 14 2012 01:26 PM
Mary from Brooklyn

I wonder about the impact of long term stress and a person's tolerance regarding unrelated stress. For example, I have been in a difficult situation that has caused me a great deal of stress for many months. Now, I find news reports will make my stress level shoot up. For example, with the reports of the CT school shooting this morning, I am terribly anxious about my own children in their school and am having to perpetually tell myself these shootings are very rare, etc., and that my kids are having a normal day. I've always been a very calm person, but now feel that any negative action I experience or read about can make me far more stressed and anxious than the situation deserves.

Dec. 14 2012 12:58 PM

Is there a quantifiable relationship between insufficient sleep and susceptibility to stress-related disease? In other words, has it been proven that too little sleep makes it harder to deal with stress? What does this tell us about how sleep works?

Dec. 14 2012 11:11 AM