Ric Ocasek on Lyrics and Prose

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ric Ocasek of the band The Cars, talks about his career beyond the band—from writing and performing solo work, publishing poetry in Granta and elsewhere, and producing albums for musical artists such as Weezer, Hole, Guided By Voices, and Jonathan Richman. In Lyrics & Prose, Ocasek collects his lyrics together for the first time—from his work with The Cars’ 1978 self titled debut album to his six solo albums.

Ric Ocasek

mike ryan

saw u in denver awsome show . waited since early eighties to see you guys [ could not afford to go to the cars shoe in edmonton] dream come true for two 49 year olds from red deer alberta. look forward to more live shows if possible . dont care where we will travel any where to see you guys again . thanks

Jan. 27 2013 09:33 PM
Ron from Toronto

O-kass-ick is how Ric pronounces his own name. Has been my favorite since I was introduced to The Cars back in 1980 (When I was 12). Great talent who always seems polite and respectful.

Dec. 19 2012 03:49 PM
Tom Fricke

"O-kass-ick" or "O-kay-sik?"
Being in radio, how to properly pronounce a name is paramount... so why are there TWO pronunciations for Ric's last name? Which is correct?
(asking a question to which NOBODY has an answer).

Dec. 14 2012 10:18 AM
Curtis Gleim from Regina, Sask.

Ric Ocasek is by far the most intelligent, prolific writer of songs and poetry. Between his Cars albums, his solo work and his producing, noone even comes close to this musical genius.

Dec. 13 2012 07:12 PM
dcortex

RIP Benjamin Orr. GREAT TO HEAR RIC.

Dec. 13 2012 12:59 PM
Marianne from UWS

Please do let Ric Ocasek know that New York City's own Main Squeeze Orchestra (the Western world's only all-female 14 piece accordion orchestra) did a lovely job covering "Drive".

(But no, not as good as his.)

Dec. 13 2012 12:54 PM
TXC from Midtown East

I've been a huge fan of the Cars since I first heard "Best Friend's Girl." Thanks for having Ric on the show.

Dec. 13 2012 12:47 PM
stuart from nyc

One of my former girlfriends was in love with Ric Ocasek - a grown woman with a big poster of Ric on the ceiling over her bed. In 1987 the Cars were on Saturday Night Live on Halloween and I pulled every favor to get us into the show and the after party. I went over to Ric and successfully got his autograph for this woman, who proceeded to dump me two months later on New Years Day. Thanks Ric

Dec. 13 2012 12:45 PM