Radio Rookies: Sickle Cell Anemia

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Radio Rookie Bree Person in the studio

Bree Person, Radio Rookie, talks about having sickle cell anemia and what the diagnosis means for her and her family. Pediatrician Suzette Oyeku also joins us to explain what sickle cell is, and what developments in treatment mean for those who have the inherited blood disorder.

Dr. Oyeku is a pediatrician at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore and on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University, and serves as project director for the Working to Improve Sickle Cell Healthcare program at the National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality.

Suzette Oyeku and Bree Person

Henry from west africa nigeria

hey ms Bree
great attitude,excellent energy. i felt your pain through the pages,screaming pain... i am also a survivor conqueror of the sickle cell disorder. i lost my brother age 23 to this condition,then i was 19,his death made me arm myself with enough information to live for myself as well as for others. i am 31 now living by God;s grace. i would appreciate if we could partner or work together to motivate ss persons. my country is said to be the most populous indegenous black country...we have millions we aim at reaching out to.
currently we have a facebook group called fotsss yes a forte,FRIENDS OF THE SS SCOURGE,we have being reaching out to ss persons who 3+yrs .
u can just send me a reply through that channel,cant give a contact here.hope to here from u soon

Dec. 23 2012 04:05 PM
Dr. S. Oyeku

Bree you did a great job with your piece. Keep writing and sharing your story. People need to hear what you have to say. It was a pleasure working with you. Best wishes. Dr. Oyeku

Dec. 11 2012 10:13 PM
Bree Person from Bronx

I want to thank everyone who was there to support me through what I have been through because you have truly helped me to strive to become what I am today. Some people say that self determination is the key, but I believe that people in your corner always make a significant difference. Thank you to people who also have listened to my show that alone shows support and sharing the same concern for health care of the sickle cell disease. I don't know how many times it takes to say thank you so you can truly believe me but...thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.

Dec. 11 2012 10:06 PM
Bree Perosn from Bronx

For the person that asked me about the affected embryos. I think that if you consider the type of person you and your mate are. And the fact that both of you are very descent or more than descent people then any child you are to give birth to should be a miracle. And to work through any challenges you may face with the child growing up because this challenge can make your child significantly stronger, not saying that a child without an illness would be no less stronger but it all comes back to what you feel is right for you and your mate. I'm just a teen that's living through a disease with a lot of support that continuously helps me to strive. And that should work with yours also. You have my blessings.

Dec. 11 2012 09:54 PM
Karen Person from VA Brooklyn, NY

I'm sorry for the typo's Bree, I was just so excited that I didn't even proof read. You're so much smarter than I am. Lol!

Dec. 11 2012 12:52 PM
Grandmom Person

Bree, I am so proud of you! I am so glad that you are strong in heart and in mind. Your determination will carry you so far in life. I brag about you all the time not only because you my granddaughter but because you are gifted beyond words. Never give up, you are the voice for many that don't have one. God bless and keep you!!

Grandmom

Dec. 11 2012 12:28 PM
Kim Person

To my niece Bree: I am in awe of the gift's that you hold! You speak with such authority and professionalism. I am a witness of seeing you sick and also seeing you fight through your pain. You are a hero and I'm glad to know that those that suffer in silence can know they are not alone. You are awesome and I am proud of you, you did a fabulous job! LOVE YOU BUMBLE BREE!!!!

Aunty Kim

Dec. 11 2012 12:21 PM
Trenda from Bronx

I am so proud of you Bree. You have come such a long way and have worked so hard. I love the strong young woman you've become! I see a lot of uncle Johnnie's strength in you and I love it! love you!

Dec. 11 2012 12:07 PM
Karen Person from VA Brooklyn, NY

My darling Bree,
I don't know where to begin because you are so many things wonderful. When I listened to your story here at work, the tears began to flow like a stream. You are such a blessings and you give me strength as well with your determination and fight. You have so much to offer this world and vice versa, don't ever let anyone or anything to steal your joy. My dear you are PRICELESS!!!

Love,
Mommy

Dec. 11 2012 11:47 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Excellent job, Ms. Person. Let's hear more from you.

Dec. 11 2012 11:40 AM
Great Job!

Bree you did a fantastic job explaining what your day to day life is like living with sickle cell anemia. I learned a lot about the disease and how many people are affected by it. It saddens me that there is such a disparity in funding for a disease that primarily affects people of color. I hope you and Dr. Oyeku continue to make your voices heard so that more research can be done. Thanks Again and God Bless!!

Dec. 11 2012 11:13 AM
john from office

I wish the best for this young guest. I am also happy Radio Rookies found a smart, articulate young lady, not the usual mush mouth youths they have on.

Dec. 11 2012 10:59 AM

Bree, you piece was so moving. My mascara melted when your parents expressed guilt for you having it, and you said that you were glad that you were here. With enhanced genetic screening available to potential parents, what would you say to parents considering whether to do the genetic testing, if the testing results in the disposal of affected embryos?

Dec. 11 2012 10:54 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Oh, Bree, I loooved and was so touched by your Radio Rookie's documentary this morning! It was both informative and compelling. There IS no "limit" for you, darling. The SKY's the limit!

Dec. 11 2012 10:51 AM