Mayoral Wish List

Friday, December 07, 2012

Greg David, director of the Business & Economics Reporting Program at CUNY Journalism School and contributor to Crain's New York Business, and author of Modern New York: The Life and Economics of a City, talks about the independents' wish lists to replace Mayor Bloomberg -- from Hillary Clinton to Joe Lhota.

Greg David

Jf from Bk

Jesse ventura! Christine quinn, kucinich, occupy wallstreet for mayor! If we want a utopia not only for the.01%

Dec. 07 2012 11:05 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Here we go again with the "'sucessful business person' ipso facto equals effective politician" nonsense.
And such a person "wouldn't be serving their own business interests"?
Scary.

Dec. 07 2012 10:59 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

If you are part of the Satmar sect, YES - Turner is your guy. What a joke.

Dec. 07 2012 10:58 AM
East Village

One very important issue confronting the city: affordable housing! Rent protection. Stop raising rents on stabilized renters.

Dec. 07 2012 10:57 AM
bernie from bklyn

MAYOR ANTHONY WEINER!!

Dec. 07 2012 10:57 AM
Larry

How about Brian Lehrer or Lenord Lopate

Dec. 07 2012 10:56 AM
Scott H.

Not bloombergian, but how about Anthony Weiner? Elliot Spitzer?

Dec. 07 2012 10:56 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

We all know that Christine Quinn's only appeal to the Left is that she would be a "historic" first gay mayor, blah blah blah. Please.
Who cares?

Do we really want to tiresomely hear "first Lesbian Mayor" shrieked at us every day instead of being judged on the issues?

Dec. 07 2012 10:55 AM
Theresa from Brooklyn

Time for Bill diBlasio. This guy on the air sounds more like a Bloomberg shill than a journalism professor.

Dec. 07 2012 10:55 AM
Thomas Pinch

It's Bill Thompson's turn. He's the only person who can say that he almost beat Bloomberg's $$$. Go Bill!

Dec. 07 2012 10:55 AM
fuva from harlemworld

I'm annoyed that Greg David is a regular on this program.

Dec. 07 2012 10:55 AM
antonio ortiz from baySide

Sorry Bloomberg is sort of hacky for giving billions away to the financial sector in efforts to keep them in NYC...
Where would they have gone? White plains? CT?

It would be sweet if Spitzer came out of retirement to steamroll those um...the other candidates...and the financial sector!

Dec. 07 2012 10:54 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Is Hillary even a resident of the city? If true, it says a lot about Bloomerg's view of this city. That he feels he can handpick a fellow elite to transfer his rule over his NYC subjects.

Dec. 07 2012 10:54 AM
Michelle from Long Island City

Believe it or not, there are some New Yorkers who don't want a Bloomberg clone to be the next mayor. Can you please have a wish-list discussion that's a little broader than than "who would be most Bloombergian?" To many, that's not a plus!

Dec. 07 2012 10:52 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Leave it to a Mayor who ran roughshod over the term limits referendum to ask a non-resident of NYC to run for Mayor.

I didn't vote for Bloomberg last election because I considered his run illegal. He is an autocrat and apart from the fact that I do agree with his policies on smoking and gun control and climate change, I don't think he should be Mayor now (in fact, I consider him to be in the same position Dubya was after the 2000 election - not legally elected), nor should he be suggesting successors.

Dec. 07 2012 10:51 AM

i don't think the mta did a great job!
what about ray kelly

Dec. 07 2012 10:50 AM

maybe prince mike doesn't want to run against her and santorum in 2016!

Dec. 07 2012 10:48 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

If you have little Charisma, you better have a lot of money to win - I like Lhota but he has neither.

You have no argument from me about keeping democrats out but if I had to hold my nose and pick one - it would be Quinn (with her faux "perkiness" and all,) as she doesn't see all businesses as evil.

As for Dinkins - I was never the biggest fan of his. He was the perfect example of a politically correct, party machine political anointment. His turn to be "our first black mayor", regardless of him being up to the job or not (The same way you unfairly characterize Obama.) However - I always find it amazing that Koch gets zero blame for running the City into the ground in his disastrous 3rd term. I have my theories on why but I'll keep that to myself.

Dec. 07 2012 10:48 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Who cares about charisma? Look at the charismatic Amateur leading from behind in the White House.

(LOL.... and Quinn has charisma??? Guffaw...maybe a shrill voice.)

Keep the Democrats OUT... they will take us back to the nightmare of a David Dinkins New York with high crime and plummeting quality of life.

We can't afford Democrats.

Dec. 07 2012 10:24 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

@ Kat - Joe Lhota may be qualified but he does not have the charisma, money, background, or force of personality to win.

As much as I loathe Quinn personally. She is the most qualified on the democratic side, as she is the most business friendly candidate. I disagree that she or the others couldn't handle a major crisis - compared to who? Bloomberg?

Dec. 07 2012 10:16 AM
Kat from Astoria

Hi Brian, I called in this past spring when you were speculating if Ray Kelly would run. If we're talking fantasy candidates today, I'd pick Joe Lhota. Among the democratic candidates, I don't feel I could trust any of them with a crisis;big snowstorm, hurricane, transit strike, Con Ed strike or terrorist attack. I don't see Quinn, DeBlasio, Liu, or Thompson reacting as cooly and efficiently as Bloomberg or galvanizing the same support from Washington. Any of those events would present a mess needing cleanup and since Sandy hit, Joe Lhota has delivered citywide results and coordinated with the appropriate interstate agencies to keep NYers moving. Go Joe!

Dec. 07 2012 10:04 AM