Hospitals, Post-Sandy

Thursday, December 06, 2012

mt sinai (Fred Mogul/WNYC)

WNYC reporter Fred Mogul updates the state of area hospitals after the storm.

Fred Mogul

Curtis Skinner from New York, NY

I'm glad to see this issue being talked about. I'm a reporter for The New York World and in talking with staff and experts in this area, I found a near unanimous concern for the long-term sustainability of the situation. You can check out the story produced by us and The New York Observer here http://bit.ly/XzvZYn or here http://bit.ly/SJkV7G It focuses on Beth Israel and the challenges they've faced in Sandy's wake.

Dec. 07 2012 02:38 PM

This report was very superficial and mostly from the point of view of the self-protective administration and of course, NYC and NYS government. Possibly this is due to the lack of physician input, since most physicians are on gag orders, if they wish to preserve their connections to the institutions that employ them. There is a great amount of suffering resulting from the lack of any hospitals on the Lower West Side of Manhattan since St. Vincent's Medical Center/Trauma I closed, and with Bellevue and Langone both significantly compromised. Yes, electives can be postponed, but some chronic conditions and newly diagnosed conditions require ongoing supportive care which at this time, is severely compromised because of staff dislocations and patients having to travel far and wide to seek the care they need.

A more meaningful report would have been about the state of the patients since Sandy such as the report received on the call-in today about the acute crisis of Leukemia being ill-served. That call was a canary in the mine, and more akin to the truth of our current circumstance as frail humans in a failed governmental policy for health care in the U.S.

Dec. 06 2012 11:34 AM
Robert Goodman, MD, PhD

Regarding the story about hospital affects from NYU and Bellevue closures. First, I did not hear mention of the large number of NYU physicians who have been rapidly given privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Roosevelt Hospital (including 9 brain surgeons who I have added to my department at Roosevelt). Second, I do not want to minimize the incredible efforts that have been made, but think it is more relevant how well surrounding hospitals have absorbed the increased patient load. This reinforces the widely held belief that there is an excess of hospital beds in Manhattan.

Robert R. Goodman, MD, PhD
Chairman
Dept. of Neurosurgery
Roosevelt Hospital
Assoc Professor, Columbia U College of Physicians & Surgeons
1000 Tenth Ave, Suite 5G-80
New York, NY 10019
212-636-3666

Dec. 06 2012 11:28 AM
Robert from NYC

Well Beth Israel has surly taken a hit from the closure of NYU and Bellevue. I had two experiences over the past 3 weeks; the first taking a friend thru emergency and the second myself in ED this past Sunday night and it is just insane there. I don't particularly like that hospital but they did handle it fairly well as far as getting the traffic moving along.

Dec. 06 2012 11:13 AM
Janet from Manhattan

Hi Brian,
Thank you so much for the discussion about closed-down hospitals in NY. Every night I pass Bellevue and NYU Langone on my way home, and am amazed that we have been hearing virtually nothing in the news about the impact of the closures of these two essential institutions on patients, staff, and other hospital facilities!! This needs much more attention. I appreciate your attention to it.

Dec. 06 2012 11:13 AM
Marcia from 10011

My friend is pregnant, due in February, planning on giving birth at NYU. But last week she was told that they would not be reopened in time and she should make an alternative plan.

Dec. 06 2012 11:12 AM
Jay from New York

Why don't they move one of the hospitals to the Cabrini Hospital building.
Rather than turn it into luxury condos -- it is a hospital building on higher ground.
Sloan Kettering bough it -- but is now planning to sell for condos.
Two years after buying Cabrini Medical Center for $83.1 million, Memorial Sloan-Kettering has put the former hospital back up for sale. A 450,000-square-foot, five-building complex at 227 E. 19th St., between Second and Third avenues, the Cabrini site could be worth more than MSK paid.

Dec. 06 2012 11:11 AM
Kate from Manahattan

Yet another reminder of how much we lost as a neighborhood and a city when St. Vincent's closed.

Dec. 06 2012 11:08 AM