Queens Soccer Stadium Plans

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

A soccer match in Flushing Meadows Corona Park (Courtesy of the City of New York Parks & Recreation)

Brett Lashbrook, Major League Soccer special assistant to the commissioner, discusses MLS's plans to build a 25,000-seat stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

Timothy

If the proposal was to build a stadium for American football, most likely no one would be complaining. However, if anywhere deserves some (real) football, it's NYC and its global community. Granted the MLS has a LONG way to go to equal the European leagues but the thought of international friendlies and such is mighty appealing.

Dec. 05 2012 01:09 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ed - they will pay.

Dec. 05 2012 11:41 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

@illf - Ah - nah, I've been there, is not exactly MSG is it?

Dec. 05 2012 11:40 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

There are rumors that the owners of Man City may be interested in having a team there.

Dec. 05 2012 11:38 AM

Sheldon, no its on the border of newark, lol.. that IS somewhere.

Dec. 05 2012 11:34 AM

Um, HARRISON is in NJ!

Dec. 05 2012 11:33 AM
Ed from nyc

Are the people who play soccer in the park really the people they expect to buy tickets for an mls game? what are ticket prices going to be? will there be incentives for people in neighborhood?

Dec. 05 2012 11:33 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Well said Morgan - as lovely as the Red Bulls arena is, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Dec. 05 2012 11:32 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I would normally be suspicious of public land being used for a sports stadium but I'm entitled to be a hypocrite once in a while, since I'm a soccer fan - please proceed. Welcome NY Cosmos.

Dec. 05 2012 11:11 AM
Morgan Paar from Manhattan

I was at the town hall meeting last night and I've been following the news. Full disclosure, I'm a huge football (soccer) fan but NOT an MLS fan. I would be an MLS fan if there was a 'true' NY team that is not named after a European energy drink.

It amazes me that there are always so many 'haters' with it comes to urban progress. Just remembering all the opposition to the High Line park and look at how loved that is now. A soccer stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park would be a win/win/win for the people of Queens, residents of NYC and New York in general. And the comeback of Cosmos would be huge for US soccer and sports in America.

Lets hope this goes through.

Thanks, Morgan