The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Deb Perelman talks about her award-winning blog, Smitten Kitchen, and the long-awaited The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Like her blog, the book is all about approachable home cooking. All the recipes include simple ingredients that yield amazing results in a minimum amount of time. She explains how to lose your fear of cooking for a crowd and shares the essential items you need for your own kitchen.

Deb Perelman

CR from Tri-State

Ms. Perlman is undeniably talented but please, is anybody going to discuss the SUBSTANTIAL amount of weight that she has gained? She's an attractive young woman, with a child to raise, and is now, without a doubt, obese. Everyday I fight the good fight to eat right and exercise. Trying to stay healthy, for me and my family. I love food and love to cook. Whether I'm right or wrong, I connect the kind of food Deb Perlman cooks with the weight she's gained and it's a big turn-off. Diabetic, butter-drenched Paula Deen was everybody's punching bag because she's over-the-top Southern and non-PC. But Deb Perlman bugs me even more because I can relate to her (youngish, college-educated, NYC, Jewish) and find that fact that she's not acknowledging the elephant in the room(!)irresponsible. Everyday the obesity problem makes headlines, and Deb keeps making cookies. Way too many cookies. I'd love to know if anybody else feels as I do.

Jan. 30 2013 10:08 AM
amrito55 from new york

Anabolic Cooking makes it possible to cook easy and tasty meals.
Containing over 200 diet recipes, each full of flavour and contain the right ingredients to help you gain muscle and burn fat so you are able to achieve your goals faster.Anabolic Cooking is more than a cookbook. Dave shares all the top nutrition and meal planning strategies to ensure your success. I am benefited by purchasing this book so I suggest you that if you want to learn cooking please collect this book from hearhttp://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

Dec. 04 2012 03:59 PM
Chiara from Ridgewood, Queens

I appreciate that Deb and many other non-professional cooks these days are less interested in technique than in ingredients; picking out beautiful vegetables at the farmers market is way more interesting than actually cutting them up. I get it.
Speaking as a professional cook, I have to say that the very best way to get the results you want in the kitchen is to use proper techniques. Having good knife skills means having consistency, predictable outcomes, and less prep time. If you can cut all of your carrots the same size, they will all cook in the same amount of time.
Deb said in her interview that speed was not important when it comes to preparation, and that she'd rather just cook in her own time.
Speed is important for the home cook, not just the professional. The less time it takes you to slice all of your onions, the more time you have to perfectly caramelize them for your French Onion soup.

Deb is right however when she said that you can learn how to cook by practicing. And I agree that the best way to improve your knife skills is to practice.

Cool ingredients and fun takes in simple classic recipes are great, but it's having a good foundation of skills that will make your ingredients come to life, and your recipes turn out delicious.

Dec. 04 2012 02:07 PM
Linda in CT from Fairfield, CT

I love to cook, and from Deb and the comments that follow her recipes I've learned a lot of new things. Many of the baking recipes she posts converts well to gluten free because they have substantial ingredients like fruit or yogurt. Some of my now favorite recipes come from her blog.

Dec. 04 2012 01:34 PM

"I am cooking you dinner, you should bring me wine, that's fair?"

Hospitality is not a trade. People bring wine as they could bring flowers or a book . Or just their grace and good conversation.
If you invite someone into your home, don't put a price tag on it.

Dec. 04 2012 01:34 PM
Janie from Mamaroneck.

Love your show always.
DO NOT agree that the recipe makes the ingredients or however Deb expressed it. It kind of startled me. I absolutely smell/taste/ and feel the difference in local/home grown ingredients and fresh. I bought some shredded carrots at a Trader Joe's ( not normal for me as I usually shred my own) and I wouldn't care what you suggest to do with them. They were/are straw, have no real color outside the bag, and had no taste! Sure you could mask them. But isn't the point to savor the simply REAL taste of a loved and cared for product - animal, vegetable or mineral?
Thanks. Janie, Mamaroneck.

Dec. 04 2012 01:32 PM
Katarina Tosic from Belgrade, Serbia

Hi from Serbia! I love the recipes, Smitten Kitchen was one of the first blogs (of any kind) I have ever looked at. And I keep going back - especially the "Good Reads" section, THANK YOU for that. If there are no new entries on Deb's blog, I always find something on the list of links.

Dec. 04 2012 01:30 PM
Sandy from NYC

What are great weekday meals for a rushed household with kids (that also incorporates vegetables they will eat)?

Dec. 04 2012 01:30 PM
Sheree from Manhattan

I love the SmittenKitchen blog and bought the book even though I cook entirely vegetarian/vegan just because I want to support Deb. The book is beautiful and the great thing about the blog is how warm and funny Deb is---she's a wonderful writer and makes every reader feel like a friend.
She posted a butternut squash/farro recipe that I tried recently that was so delicious! Wishing her the best of luck.

Dec. 04 2012 01:30 PM
Viv from Brooklyn

Hi Deb,
I'm wondering if you'll ever expand your baby food recipes?
Congrats on the book!

Dec. 04 2012 01:29 PM
Christine from Westchester

Thanks Deb: both sound yummy. I'll have to put the book on my wish list for Christmas! Wonderful!

Dec. 04 2012 01:28 PM
Chris from Queens

Thank you for all your work and sharing, Deb! I always go to your blog first when I've got a hankering for baking, and spend most of my weekends in my kitchen with two or three Smitten Kitchen recipes up on my laptop. Joy!

Dec. 04 2012 01:28 PM
Nic

I love smitten kitchen. I am so happy for her. Loved her pictures, and appreciated her journey of cooking from pregnancy to birth. :-)

Dec. 04 2012 01:28 PM
Audrey from Lower East Side

Love the blog, can't wait to get the book!

Dec. 04 2012 01:26 PM
Alan from Brooklyn

Kugel has been my favorite food since childhood! A couple of years ago I learned my Great-Grandmother's recipe and have since been making alterations and experimental kugel. I would love to challenge Deb to a kugel cook-off woth me, Brooklyn's King of Kugel!

Dec. 04 2012 01:26 PM
Whit

@Dennis a skillet, a chef's knife and a dutch oven! :)

Love Deb!

Dec. 04 2012 01:22 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Dennis from Weehawken, I didn't catch that (my mind wandered), but you can re-listen when they make the audio for the segment available. I will.

Dec. 04 2012 01:22 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Here, here! to Ms. Perelman for calling "foodies" on their obnoxiousness, as if THEY discovered good food. They make me squirm!

Dec. 04 2012 01:20 PM
Dennis Burroughs from Weehawken, NJ

According to Deb three important elements 12 inch cast iron skillet, chef's knife, and ?????. Thanks

Dec. 04 2012 01:17 PM
jane from brooklyn

Not only do I completely trust Deb's taste, but her directions are the best I've come across. I've learned so much from her. Thank you, Deb, for sharing your recipes!

Dec. 04 2012 01:13 PM
Christine from Westchester

What a fun segment and I agree! If I'm going to cook, I want it to be great. Of course the other way around is, when I go out, it better be something I wouldn't make at home or better than my cooking: or I'll stay in and enjoy puttering.

Ask your guest what her favorite go to meal is.

Dec. 04 2012 01:10 PM