Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap 2012

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Share your favorite holiday cookie recipe!

Melissa Clark will talk about her favorite holiday cookies and share tips on what to bake for your friends and family. She'll also pick her favorite recipes submitted by listeners! Melissa is a food writer who writes the “A Good Appetite” column in the Dining Section of the New York Times. Her latest cookbook is Cook This Now.

See all the recipes submitted by listeners

Melissa Clark

Darlene from Brooklyn

I'm not clear on something - are these recipes being recommended by someone who hasn't tried any of them? Do we check back later to find out how they turned out?

Dec. 19 2012 09:22 PM
Anne from Brooklyn

Bob's red mill has great gluten free flour mix and great egg replacer mix

Dec. 19 2012 10:35 AM

maybe this one

Dec. 18 2012 12:54 PM
Ana from UWS

Flax seeds make a great egg substitute: http://www.egglesscooking.com/2008/10/15/egg-replacement-event-flaxseed-meal/

Dec. 18 2012 12:42 PM
Nina from East Village

Also - ghee is strained; brown butter is not.

Dec. 18 2012 12:42 PM
Nancy

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti; I've been making the exact recipe that I found in Better Homes and Garden's in the 90's. You can also buy the pistachios at Trader Joe's. Easy to make. They are wonderful and not too sweet. Very easy to eat too many.

Dec. 18 2012 12:40 PM

Bob's Red Mill makes a nice vegan egg substitute, but we tend to just whip up a gluten-free flax/chickpea flour mixture to swap in for eggs - http://www.bobsredmill.com/vegetarian-egg-replacer.html

Dec. 18 2012 12:39 PM
Amy from Manhattan

One vegan egg substitute is Egg Replacer, available in health food stores.

On nut substitutes, how about sunflower seeds? If they're roasted, they even have a good crunch. (There's even sunflower butter as a substitute for peanut butter.)

Dec. 18 2012 12:38 PM
victoria from brooklyn

flax meal as a substitute for eggs! mix flax meal to water 1 to 2 ratio and whisk!

Dec. 18 2012 12:38 PM
Diane Mensinger from Caldwell nj

I make sugar-free biscotti using Splenda (not the Splenda Blend) and I use frozen fresh cranberries. Grind the cranberries and dump the ground/chopped cranberries and hand mix them into the dough. Delicious.

Dec. 18 2012 12:37 PM
Nina from East Village

I recognized Gretel's cookies as Celia Barbour's Spoon Cookies recipe from Gourmet:

They're seriously amazing. A pain to make, but amazing. You can choose whatever flavor of jam (I prefer raspberry) and I've also used cacao-hazelnut spread. Yum.
Re. gluten free recipes - I make coconut macaroon all the time. Super easy and yummy. Unsweetened coconut, egg whites, sugar, salt - that's it. Also meringues.

Dec. 18 2012 12:37 PM
Dorothy from Manhattan

My mother made a "fruitcake cookie" -- csndied fruit and lots of cinnamon, very simple, not at all like Ina Garten's fruitcake cookie. I used to buy candied fruit at International Grocery on 9th Ave. and I'd send it to Maryland. I made the cookies a couple of time but have lost the recipe. Absolutely delicious and they look like they involve lots of work even though they're a drop cookie.

Dec. 18 2012 12:36 PM
Bassett from Chappaqua

Whenever olive oil is cooked for a time, it loses its flavor.

Dec. 18 2012 12:35 PM
Maria from Flushing

"resting" a dough in the fridge does 2 things
1)reduces the moisture content and 2) reduces the temperature
Both of those things decrease the formation of gluten, which makes the dough less"chewy"

Dec. 18 2012 12:32 PM
Sandy from NYC

Are there any substitutes for nuts? I have two kids with nut allergies and miss the crunch of nuts in a cookie.

Dec. 18 2012 12:31 PM
benjamin landers

Some poppies produce the opiate others do not. There is an heirloom variety that grows on nantucket that indeed is an opiate producing poppy.
Cultivation of opiate producing is illegal in USA with exceptions like the old varieties that still exist on Nantucket,....

Dec. 18 2012 12:31 PM
ML from Manhatan

re: poppy seeds and opiates

For a job that I did I needed to go through a urine test. Was called down to the office as I had tested positive for opiates. I was shocked. But then asked if I had had a poppy seed bagel that morning. indeed I had. whew!

Dec. 18 2012 12:31 PM
Jill McDonald from Rinwood NJ

Just to follow up on something you were talking about a few minutes ago about the caroway seeds. My grandmother in England used to make a Caroway Seed Cake which was essentially a Madeira Cake with caroway seeds in. Melissa mentioned Jane Austen referring to caroway teacakes. A teacake is not a regular cake but a larger flatter currant bun which is made with yeast and is glazed with a sugar syrup immediately after baking.

Dec. 18 2012 12:30 PM

From Wikipedia, Poppy seed is an oilseed obtained from the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum).

Dec. 18 2012 12:30 PM
DAN from manhattan

Yes! Edible poppy seeds come from the very same flower from which raw opium is made. In general, poppy seeds can be made to grow to these flowers, but this is not the climate!

Dec. 18 2012 12:29 PM
sumukha from Short Hills, NJ

Brown butter is the same as the Indian Ghee

Dec. 18 2012 12:26 PM
Danyel Jones

Melissa mentioned a pecan cookie recipe that was submitted by the woman who submitted the Candy Cane Cookie recipe. Please share - I'm a huge pecan fan!

Dec. 18 2012 12:25 PM

thanks leonard. i'll look for that article

Dec. 18 2012 12:20 PM
rebecca

pamela's gluten free flour!

Dec. 18 2012 12:19 PM
Cookiest of NYC from Fulton Stall Market - South Street Seaport area

Come to the outdoor FULTON STALL MARKET at the South Street Seaport to buy my global variety of homemade holiday cookies!!! I bake cookies from every continent from African peanut Kuli-Kuli to German honey-spice Lebkuchen to Chinese almond Hsing-jen-ping plus many traditional American varieties. All of my cookies are handmade from locally sourced ingredients. I make the jam fillings from fruit I picked over the summer from upstate and NJ farms. It's a veritable culture of cookies, pastries and confections! This Sunday from 11AM - 4PM... Happy Holidays!!!

The Cookiest of NYC *:)

Dec. 18 2012 12:18 PM
Joe Mackin 2paragraphs.com from Nyack NY

Hi, like to submit this for HEALTHY holiday cookies--naturally red and green: http://2paragraphs.com/2012/12/healthy-christmas-granola-cookies/
Thanks.

Dec. 17 2012 12:50 PM
Cheap holidays from World

Happy cheap Holidays 2013

Dec. 15 2012 03:41 AM

Anything gluten free? What’s the best substitute for wheat flour in cookies

Dec. 12 2012 01:40 PM