Soft Drinks, Harsh Results

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dr. Ramachandran Vasan, senior author of the Framingham Heart Study and professor of medicine at Boston University School of Medicine, explains that drinking carbonated increases your risk of developing a metabolic syndrome, even if it is a diet soda.

Dr. V.S. Ramachandran
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

ed hardy from putian,fujian

Really too thank you. I before I was for some problems, do not have, too thanked. Your company's service is really good, I think I will always remember you. Not only is your product
http://www.ed-hardy.cc/ ed hardy
as well as the spirit of your company....

Jun. 23 2009 03:27 AM
Margaret Alexander from New Jersey

Let's hear more about metabolic syndrome and the use of stevia vs.other sugar substitutes.

Jul. 31 2007 04:27 PM
julia

thanks so much for this program!

my sister in law has diabetes type 1 and 3 of my husband's grandparents had also diabetes. so naturally i'm extremely concerned about how to do everything possible so that my nephews don't have the disease.

these kind of shows helps us a lot. it's very tough to convince people in the midwest that splenda, aspartame, corn syrup are not healthy choices. on the bright note, my mother in law found salad dressing without corn syrup!

it's obvious to many latins like me that one should avoid these drinks, maybe because we were much less bombarded with adds from coke and pepsi while growing up. it would be great if adds of foods were banned at least the ones that target kids.

Jul. 24 2007 12:09 PM
Jim Haddad from nyc

what about other sweet drinks. I drink plenty of Orange juice, which has just as much sugar. I need at least two big glasses of juice a day. But I am skinny. Is juice as bad as soda?

Jul. 24 2007 11:51 AM
chestine from NY

Brian thanks for your show and for paying attntion to food chain issues. You just said "suggest a guest" or something like that, so here I am - How about NY local Nina Planck, author of Real Food: What to Eat. She is very clear and down to earth, a farmer's daughter, worked with Prince Charles developing farmer's markets in London - knows a lot and will be fun to talk to.

Also re: sodas, can you ask the doctor about nerve toxins in sodas, about phosphors, depressants, all the rumors?

To get away from soda but indulge my love of fizzy drinks, I have taken to drinking kombucha and trying to master homemade ginger ale...

Jul. 24 2007 11:51 AM
Jeffrey Slott from Queens, NY

I am a type 1 diabetic and I used to use artificial sweeteners but I now realize there are a whole bunch of questionable effects from these substances, regardless of their impact on my blood sugar. For a sweetener, when I need to use one, I use the natural sweetener, stevia, which is 0 calories and also doesn't affect blood sugar one iota.

Jul. 24 2007 11:48 AM