Return to Albany

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New York State Senator Dean Skelos, Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, and Capitol Bureau Chief for New York State Public Radio Karen DeWitt talk about the latest developments with congestion pricing and the substance behind the Spitzer-Bruno spat.

Richard Brodsky, Karen DeWitt and Dean Skelos

lauren from brooklyn ny

Brodsky is so full of sh*t and lies through his teeth on this segment, and his so-called "report" is another pack of lies. He doesn't care about people living in the Bronx! If he did, he would understand that the Bronx is literally choking on car fumes with the result of having the highest asthma rates in the nation. Brodsky will say anything at all to kill this thing on behalf of his Westchester constituency and the parking garage owners who have bought and paid for him.

Congestion pricing is incredibly important for New York City.

Jul. 11 2007 07:20 PM
Efficiency Nut

I've read Brodsky's report--it's garbage.
Let's all read together:

The entire premise is garbage--that this is a regressive tax on the middle class and poor. The middle class and poor do not drive into the CBD during the hours of CP--many of them don't even have cars. The 5% of New Yorkers who do drive to work are on the whole not poor--they make at least 21% more than their transit riding counterparts. And the Manhattan drive to work crowd from his district?? Please! $176,000 per annum is not middle class by any stretch, and certainly not poor.

Two specifics worth noting, he says that 72% of trips inside the CP zone will be made by Manhattanites, and 24% by the other boroughs. That means the rest of the Tri-State region will make up only 4% of the trips into the zone?? And he claims buses will pay up to $42 to enter the zone. That's wrong and sensationalized--some tourist buses will pay $21. No MTA bus will pay, and no one will pay more than the one-time $21 fee (page 5).

And he keeps harping on the 1000 cameras that will take pictures of the license plates only. I haven't heard a peep from him on the 3000 cameras that the NYPD plans to add for counter-terrorism purposes. Those will take pictures of everything 360 degrees around them.

After page 8, it's pretty much a slippery slope of speculation and undocumented hyperbole.

And that family friend is a major player in the parking industry, and they have repeatedly tried to thwart any effort to push congestion pricing from 1972 onward (MPA sued Sam Schwartz and DOT), Single-Occupancy Vehicle ban after 9/11, and currently. They are very worried about CP, and will readily admit it.

Not nearly as innocent as he tries to make it sound.

Jul. 11 2007 05:38 PM
Noah from Brooklyn

Brodsky misses the point: traffic is ruining NYC. Can anyone argue with that? Can anyone say, "No, let's not do anything about traffic"?

Does Brodsky have a plan to fix traffic?

There is a $31 billion gap in New York's transportation funding plan. We have the 2nd dirtiest air (after L.A.) of any city in the U.S. Our economy losses $13 billion and 52,000 jobs annually. Our asthma hospitalization rate is 4 times the national average.

Aside from the Mayor's, there is no other plan on the table that will reduce traffic, clean the air AND fill the transit funding gap.

If you think subway and bus service is bad now, if you think traffic is bad now, wait until fares go up and congestion gets worse!

Shelly Silver must pass congestion pricing through the Assembly. Shame on him if he doesn't. NYC will have worse traffic and worse air, our economy will continue to be crippled, and we'll miss out on $500 million in free money for transit improvements from Washington D.C.

-Noah

Jul. 11 2007 05:10 PM
Gary from Manhattan

Congestion Pricing Surprise: If you live in the Congestion Zone and drive OUT, you still get tagged. See:

Jul. 11 2007 02:22 PM
Kevin Sullivan from Montclair, NJ

I like many boys was not taught to be handy.
However, I did see my Dad take on a few jobs with mixed results while growing up.

My particular discovery of handywork came out of working my way thru college at a variety of manual jobs. I discovered, that while I wasn't a talent at fixing things it was enjoyable and satisfying to do it for myself.

I am trying to encourage my 9 year old son and 13 year old daughter to learn a minimum of basic hammer & nail skills. However, I find that the competition of Gameboy, Computer Games and TV is tough.

What it really says about our society is that we are more specialized and tend to stay in our safe niche where we are "competent". Anyone who has tried to do it themself will have a story or two of some disaster of a project. It seems we are less tolerant of our less than perfect results, done by the homeowner.

At a certain level, it is true that some things have just gotten too difficult to do properly by yourself. In this category, I put car repair. A simple oil change is one thing but with all the chips inside a car you are asking for trouble if you take it on yourself.

Brian, thanks for a good topic.
Kevin

Jul. 11 2007 11:46 AM
jeremy from manhattan

Not being handy has also begun to impact the environment.We have added to the "disposable" mindset of society by throwing things away rather than learning how to properly repair them.I don't care about the gender implications of this argument, but I do care about the very practical, very palpable, impact on our world.
Thanks Brian
love your show

Jul. 11 2007 11:22 AM
carmen from Manhattan

Maybe I am being too simplistic in my thought process in regards to congestion pricing, but this bill is gonna kill small business. Those of us who have commercial vechicals should being exempt from this pricing. Hit those people that Want to drive into the city becasue they don't want to take public tranport. As a small busines owner who does a lot of work with other small business owners we cannot afford to pay any more and survive in this city. I can't imagine having to pay $22 or more for my Trucks to come in and out of the city everyday! They are truly trying to wipe us out.

Jul. 11 2007 10:42 AM
brad

Brian,

Great work on asking Richard Brodsky about campaign contributions. Thanks for keeping politicians feet to the fire!

Jul. 11 2007 10:36 AM
sarah from NYC

You know what, at the end of the day NYC has HUGE traffic, parking and polution problems. Something needs to be done. These people need to stop fighting, get it together and get that 5 million for Albany. Get it and fix it!

Jul. 11 2007 10:31 AM
Robert from East Village

I don't have a problem, more or less, with how much anyone or any corporation wants to contribute to a candidate but what I do have a problem with is the favors in return that are expected. Payments to a candidate's election fund should be--and call me naive--it should be made because one thinks that person is the right person to serve the public not a special interest of the donor. If a donor wants "favors-in-return" that to me is payola and so very mafia-esque, corrupt, and downright illegal.

Jul. 11 2007 10:24 AM
Jeffrey Slott from Queens, NY

State Senator Dean Skelos is wrong. I, as a lower than middle class voter, care about campaigne finance reform. So do many other people that I talk with. Because the interests of moneyed corporations and institutions do not coincide with ours.

Jul. 11 2007 10:22 AM
phillip anderson from brooklyn

Dean Skelos? What, John McArdle was busy?

C'mon, Brian.