NYC Traffic Deaths in Context

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pedestrians cross Lexington Avenue during a Nor'easter storm on November 7, 2012. (Michael Heiman/Getty Images)

Robert Kolker, contributing editor for New York Magazine, discusses his new piece on why traffic deaths are up in NYC, and how the city is trying to make intersections safer.

What do you think is NYC's most dangerous intersection, and what can be done to fix it? Call 212-433-9692 or post below!

Robert Kolker

Tara from Brooklyn, NYC

According to the website www.crashstat.org, it only has stats up to 2009, not very helpful for recent trends. I am looking at it now and see 2012 deaths that I know about not on the map. Where is the map for 2012? There should be one that is up to date with the technology available and the number of people working for that NYC. If not, there is some serious slacking going on with the people we trust to protect us. All traffic, bicycle and pedestrian related accidents and deaths need to be listed.

For those complaining about bicyclists, there were 0 (ZERO) deaths with bikes and pedestrians in the past two years.

Police giving out less tickets with traffic related deaths up and complaining about not way speed cameras. Something is very very wrong.

Apr. 06 2013 01:01 AM
Rob from NY

This is the stupidest question ever. An opinion poll on the most dangerous intersection? Why not look at the fatality and injury data. www.crashstat.org

106th and Broadway is very dangerous because people were killed there.

How about distinguish between bike lanes and bike paths (which are protected by parking)? The parking-protected bike paths have made pedestrians safer because they shorten the crossing distance of crosswalks.

Let's see the NYPD step up enforcement of car and truck drivers. Crashes are up because enforcement was down.

Nov. 28 2012 10:43 PM

?TAGS:? Why has the NYPD been omitted from the TAGS list?
Malfeasance and Nonfeasance by the cops allows the death toll by drivers of cars, trucks and buses to keep climbing.
PEDESTRIANS KILLED: By Cars - 290 Killed, By Bicycles - ZERO (0) Killed.

Ray Kelly and his cops refuse to obey multiple laws - enforce motor vehicle safety, failure to release facts and data about crashes and failure to investigate and follow up on nearly any crashes. The cops only bother to show up if you are dead, and then often screw the investigation. Injuries or assaults by drivers are ignored, not even an attempt to check the status of drivers license, car registration or insurance - nothing.

This morning on WNYC Morning Edition, was a segment on a 5 year old girl who was shot near her house in the Bronx. The police investigated and found the shooter. Very sorry she was shot and congratulations to the police for catching the shooter. But even in the Bronx, there are more 5 year olds dead and injured from being hit by cars, than being shot by guns. Traffic, and not guns, is the bigger life-safety threat!

If every life is important, why is protecting the public from guns the NYPD's Job Number One, while protecting the public from traffic deaths and injury is a JOKE?

Robert Kolker's article discussed this motorist anarchy, but failed to hammer the failure of the NYPD to take any useful action. This WNYC radio discussion walked off into another, and irrelevant, direction entirely.

Not Impressed.

Nov. 28 2012 04:20 PM
Kyle Anderson from http://www.signs.com

I'm not from NYC but this is a very interesting and important question. Do you think better signage would help decrease incidents at these intersections?

Nov. 28 2012 03:23 PM
dan from manhattan

Lots of issues here, but failure to yield I think is the biggest issue and the police should strictly enforce. bikes vs pedestrians a problem, but nothing compared to cars.

Nov. 28 2012 10:15 AM
Anna

1) I think the most dangerous/weirdest intersection/stretch of street is First Avenue around the Queensboro Bridge. When I am riding my bike uptown, the bike lane is on the left. I ride in the bike lane, but then it disappears and turns into two car turning lanes. I am always unsure what to do and end up weaving in and out of traffic on my bike, which is something I rarely do.

2) EVERYONE BREAKS THE TRAFFIC LAWS. I ride a bike, I walk, and I drive (occasionally). I think we need to start with that. Pedestrians have cell phones, walk in to streets without looking, jay walk, and walk into streets to hale a cab. Cars double and triple park, change lanes without signaling, cut bikers off, etc. And bikers (not me, of course) occasionally run red lights and go the opposite way of traffic.

Nov. 27 2012 10:08 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, Unfortunately, bad drivers are a universal problem. Drivers don't care if they run over a pedestrian. They just want go first, even when the light is still green for the pedestrian to cross. I walk all the time and I have had people about to run me over.Once, I had the green light and the driver did not want to wait for me to cross the street. I had to put my hand up to stop him, as if to say: Wait a minute! Not so fast! . Euugenia Renskoff

Nov. 27 2012 03:14 PM
Megan

I highly disagree that is dangerous intersections. It's these asshole tourists in the finincial district. It's tourists on bikes. It's bike riders who do not follow traffic laws. It's pedestrians who do not follow traffic laws. As a NYC driver I can't tell u how many bike riders and pedestrians who do not follow the laws that I've almost hit. There should be some license to ride a bike in NYC

Nov. 27 2012 03:12 PM
marlene from NYC from northeast corner Houston St. and 6th Avenue

Pedestrians cannot depend on right-of-ways at intersections, too many drivers ignore them. Two months ago a woman was killed by a flat-bed truck while trying to cross at the northeast corner of Houston St. and 6th Avenue. Houston St. is a very fast moving 3 lane thoroughfare and I've witnessed too many vehicles ignoring the stop light
at 6th Avenue. This is such a dangerous intersection that many people avoid it.

Nov. 27 2012 03:05 PM
jooltman from Brooklyn

You heard the expert. Motorized vehicle drivers are the most dangerous rule-breakers on NYC streets. Period. This is a mathematical fact. Your insistence on airing comments from people who can't get used to looking before they step off the curb is irresponsible. Your segment teaser says that it is bikes that make our streets unsafe. This too is untrue. The future of our planet depends upon integrating transportation choices that don't depend on fossil fuel. Start discussing this.

Nov. 27 2012 01:42 PM
MAA

Metro and Fresh Pond Road on the Maspeth/Ridgewood border is pretty bad, but I realize it probably isn't the worst, even in that borough.

Nov. 27 2012 01:33 PM
Oscar from ny

The only ppl who use bike lanes are yuppies and bike messengers..bike lanes is the abortion of ny they look horrible cheap and it doesn't serve any purpose but annoy everyone, only in the mayors head it works,this city is one of the most expensive ones how can anyone right in the head destroy the look of the city?..you have to be a terrorist...fix the g#$@ damm train system or something..ughhhh

Nov. 27 2012 12:57 PM
stan Ries

The most difficult intersection in lower manhattan is E Houston and Bowery. Because of multi left turns
the time for pedistrans is very limited making crossing very dangerous.......

Nov. 27 2012 12:39 PM
uscdadnyc from Queens NY

In Los Angeles, Ca. Cars (making Right Turns)do not enter the Intersection/Crosswalk unless it is clear of Pedestrians. It is the Law out in L.A. In NYC b/c of the Density/Number this will be impractical. Nice to have but Impractical. So, in the words of a TV Character in the Series (Hill Street Blues): "...Let's be Careful Out There."

Nov. 27 2012 12:27 PM
art525 from Park Slope

@Rita- How are you getting hit by pedestrians at red lights. The only way I can see that happening is if you are in the crosswalk which is the standard procedure for bikers. You're not supposed to be there blocking the crosswalks. Even if you are terribly noble and doing god's work and saving the planet by riding your bike. Perhaps that self righteousness might be part of the problem.

Nov. 27 2012 12:23 PM

Device-adled IDIOTS are the MOST dangerous.

Pull over to take care of your pathetic business, weather your walking, driving or riding.

UNPLUG!!!

Nov. 27 2012 12:09 PM
Rita

One of the most dangerous crossings in Manhattan - Laffayette and Astor Place.

Bicycles, the clean, non-polluting, good for those who use it and for the planet. As a bicyclist, I have been hit by pedestrians while standing at traffic lights, while going through an intersection at a green light, in bicycle lanes, while walking my bike. Sixteen years biking, and I have been fortunate to avoid aggressive and distracted drivers, except for one time.

As a pedestrian, I look for bicycles as well as motor vehicles before crossing the streets. I would also appreciate bicyclists to ride in the sense of traffic, in the specified lane, at low speed, and to mind pedestrians first of all, traffic in general.

However, bicyclists must have full or at least preferential use of the lanes and paths supposed to be for bicycles. Pedestrians must also learn to share "shared paths"; walking and balancing yourself on 2 wheels are not the same! Get dogs, baby strollers, pedestrians and motorized vehicles (parked on moving) of all kinds off the bicycle lanes mainly where a pedestrian path or side walk is right next to it!

Nov. 27 2012 12:08 PM
bobw from nyc

i agree with others here on the point that the problem isn't BIKES or PEDESTRIANS. the problem is people being stupid, not paying attention and being disrespectful. if you get hit by an idiot cyclist in the wrong, you're justified to be pissed, just as a cyclist in the bike lane is justified to be angry when they have to swerve dangerously to avoid some dope on his cell phone meandering aimlessly in the bike lane. it's all about right of way. as for cars, people who injure or kill others with their cars need to be held accountable.

Nov. 27 2012 11:59 AM

I live around the corner from 9th Avenue and 41st street, which is a heinous intersection. Right across from Port Authority and it leads to a Lincoln Tunnel entrance-- insanity. Trucks and cars get fixed on entering the tunnel and totally forget the pedestrians are even there. Buses come from the PA at full speed trying to get out of Manhattan in a hurry. I'm always amazed when there's no traffic officer posted there.
I am a cyclist and I am thrilled about NYC's transformation over the last few years. Of course it has some people rattled-- change is difficult, and we all have to get used to it. I do think though that pedestrians are no more law abiding than cyclists. Show me a biker running a red and I'll show you ten jaywalkers who don't look before they cross. In the end, we should support each other because we are all battling to survive the most dangerous thing about NYC-- the trucks and cars.

Nov. 27 2012 11:58 AM
pedestrian cyclist driver from Inwood

So tired of this turning into a bike-bashing session every time it comes up. As a pedestrian, biker, and driver, pedestrians are by far the least responsible and biggest SCOFFLAWS, since you used that term just now. While they complain about cyclists constantly, in any accident between the two, the cyclist is statistically likely to get the worst of it.
As a pedestrian, I've only had two bad experiences with cyclists in 20 years. Plenty of drivers driving irresponsibly.
As a cyclist, almost every trip run across a pedestrian being inconsiderate; usually stepping off a curb against the light right in front of me without looking, then I hear an indignant response after I verbally honk at them. Drivers crowd out and drive too quickly past cyclists, leaving no margin for error.
As a driver, way more problems with pedestrians walking against light, making drivers wait or hit the brakes. Problem with cyclists sometimes on Riverside drive during morning commute causing backups, then after slipping through the light, you have to merge into one lane again.

I've seen the cyclists who I am sure are responsible for the negative reactions (and I was very angry the time I was buzzed in a crosswalk by a cyclist who didn't look before rounding the turn), but in terms of a policy, procedural or policing discussion, this angle takes up way too much of the discussion.

Nov. 27 2012 11:58 AM
Mary from Manhattan

Broom & Greene, Grand & Greene in Soho. Because of the reduction in width of Grand St due to adding not only a bike lane but a parking "lane," all the commuters who cut through Manhattan to avoid tolls——in addition to those heading for the Tunnels in either direction——block the box every. Single. Night at evening rush hour. Pedestrians take their lives in their hands (feet?), the honking is loud, angry, & nonstop. And I've called 311 about this many times, as have my neighbors. A traffic cop is needed at these 2 intersections every, single, night. I believe we should proceed as London has done and charge non-residents who bring cars into the city. The city's losing tolls anyway with all these vehicles cutting through Soho every weeknight.

Nov. 27 2012 11:54 AM
YAEL from East Williamsburg

My nomination for the most dangerous intersection in NYC is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at the intersection of Borinquen (which turns into Grand) and Keap. In the last year, I saw a cyclist get killed there, I know of another cyclist who was killed there, and just two weeks ago my boyfriend witnessed the death of two pedestrians in the same intersection.

Cars come flying off the Williamsburg Bridge and use the small bridge over the BQE as a launch pad to speed down Grand Street. At least five streets feed into the intersection and the lights are confusing despite the city putting a variety of barricades to prevent unsafe driving.

Drivers literally get away with murder on a daily basis around here. The frustration, fear, and helplessness that I feel as both a cyclist and a pedestrian living in this neighborhood is overwhelming.

Nov. 27 2012 11:51 AM
Jf from New york

Cars drive in bike lanes, park in bike lanes, sit in traffic for hours choking the air.bikes do not need to wait for red lights or get a 250$ ticket. This is persecution, bikes can see sll the way down every street and should only have to stop at a red light like a stop sign. Cars are destroy ing the air causing cancer and asthma in the city. All deaths are cars fault yet aa truck driver may murder a cyclist with impunity. It is always judged as the cyclists fault. Murder, death, hurricanes, drought, pollution, asthma, cancer, cars need to be banned. They dont ticket jaywalkers but a cyclist gets 250$ticket for using common sense!!!!!!

Nov. 27 2012 11:50 AM

I'm putting in a vote for the intersection of Prospect Ave and 4th Ave in Brooklyn. It is a nightmare intersection for all the pedestrians using the R train at Prospect Ave. The station has limited entry/exit points that are positioned on a desolate block under the Prospect Expressway overpass, so nearly everyone using the stop must cross the street somewhere, often twice. And then there is 4th Ave, which everyone knows is a drag strip. Add to that the horrible configuration of the Prospect Expressway exit ramp with speeding cars merging with Prospect Ave just as they approach the intersection.

This intersection needs much better traffic calming measures and, above all else, an all-way red light for cars to allow pedestrians a safe time to cross.

Nov. 27 2012 11:50 AM

HEY!! EVERYONE!!!

Pull your heads out of your digital asses and...

PAY ATTENTION!!!

TUNE IN, UNPLUG!!!

Nov. 27 2012 11:49 AM
Holly from Astoria

Probably not the MOST dangerous, but Astoria Blvd. and Steinway street in Queen is bad.

I was hit by an SUV there while I tried to cross the street. I had a walk sign, the driver was trying to make a turn. Thankfully I was not badly hurt, just some bruises, but the drivers there are HORRIBLE. I have had a lot of near misses at the same intersection and others in the area too.

Nov. 27 2012 11:48 AM
Lelia Mander from Manhattan

79th street and Fifth Avenue, where two lanes of eastbound traffic turn left coming out of the park to go south on Fifth Avenue, and where pedestrians (commuters and dogwalkers) are crossing to get to Central Park or the bus stop. Cars coming around in the middle lane often don't see pedestrians still in the crosswalk, and the lights don't give pedestrians a chance to cross before the turning traffic can go.

Nov. 27 2012 11:48 AM
jm

Also, how about the nightmare that is LIC's end of the Pulaski Bridge/11th St/Jackson Av? WOW. I get a panic attack every time I have to walk across this mess.

Nov. 27 2012 11:48 AM
Edward Hudaverdi from Manhattan

Yes, the Bloomberg administration is attending to traffic problems, but let's not forget that Mayor Lindsay established an Executive Order giving pedestrians the right-of-way. This is largely ignored by drivers, and some of the police on the streets never heard of Mayor Lindsay.

Nov. 27 2012 11:47 AM
Joan Lince

I'm not a bike rider, am more likely to be one of their victims because of my age, but have some sympathy with them because the traffic patterns haven't paid enough attention to them and their needs so far. Some of their misbehavior is because the traffic environment has ignored them up to now.

Nov. 27 2012 11:47 AM

Ticket quotas are my second most dangerous enemy on the streets of NYC.

Moronic and lazy cops sit on their asses at ticket "stings" writing hundreds of thousands of dollars in QUOTA tickets instead of enforcing traffic laws on the street.

CORRUPT AND PATHETIC!!

Nov. 27 2012 11:47 AM
Ian from Queens from Queens

As someone who cycles and walks a lot, I see many more pedestrians creating dangerous situations for cyclists than vice-versa. Pedestrians stepping into intersections when they don't have the right of way force cyclists to swerve out of bike lanes and into traffic, which happens numerous times on each trip I take on my bike. Of course there are cyclists who break rules and that's not good but I think many pedestrians don't realize how much they can endanger cyclists with seemingly innocuous behavior. Hopefully greater mutual appreciation will develop as we spend more time sharing the road.

Nov. 27 2012 11:46 AM
John from NYC

Please interview Nancy Gruskin on your show. She can discuss the issue of pedestrian safety in NYC.

Nov. 27 2012 11:46 AM
dan heyman

I vote for Third Avenue at 72nd Street, as a most dangerous intersection, particularly crossing Third Avenue at the North side of the intersection, due to turning vehicles.

Nov. 27 2012 11:45 AM

Why don't we have more traffic cameras for automatic tickets for speeding and running red lights? This won't take cops away from their other duties, and if drivers learn they will absolutely get a ticket for certain actions, it might make a real difference.

Nov. 27 2012 11:45 AM
mugwump from nyc

McDonald and Church Ave, Brooklyn. Cars race through on red. Work vans speed away from the gritty day laborer market on the SE corner. A distracted crossing guard does little to protect the large number of school kids using the intersection mornings. It's very dangerous, pedestrians beware!

Nov. 27 2012 11:44 AM
jm

Dumb question: what's the procedure for petitioning the change of signage at an intersection, specifically transitioning a "pedestrian crosswalk" sign to a stop sign? It's amazing when drivers consistently speed through, even when the local precinct is a block away.

Nov. 27 2012 11:44 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Cars have made turns while people are crossing in NYC forever and did it safely and logically (turning into gaps between pedestrians.) My father drove a cab for decades in the post-WWII era, and had many friends who were cabbies. They could drive aggressively but safely because they had limits and weren't crazy.

Too many drivers today are just nuts. They just step on the gas and don't have the real skills or attitudes to drive quickly but safely. Not to mention the fools who are fooling around with their devices whilst driving in NYC!

Nov. 27 2012 11:44 AM
scott from soho

It is a busy city. The simple solution, try looking both ways before crossing the street.

Nov. 27 2012 11:43 AM
DAN from Manhattan

Theeee most dangerous intersections are those in Harlem (along Frederick DOouglass and others) where those bands of motorbike riders travel. They go through red lights as a rule, do dangerous stunts, and have injured people in the past. Nothing can compare.

Nov. 27 2012 11:43 AM
Vinny_G from Upper West Side NYC

Bicycles aren't the problem, stupid bicycle riders are the problem, just as
stupid drivers and stupid pedestrians are really the problem. I've been riding bicycles for 50 years and I've never hit a pedestrian, but I've been hit by automobiles twice and I am amazed by the lack of awareness of pedestrians.

Nov. 27 2012 11:43 AM
Leo from queens

pedestrians also need to behave!. They intentionally start crossing when light is about to change or throw themselves onto the street when they don't have the right of way and then drag their feet across like retarded turtles.
also they will cross in the middle of the block while wearing dark clothes at night so you can't see them. These people are attempting to commit suicide

Nov. 27 2012 11:43 AM
Anthony from BKLYN

Culture change has already happened. Cities are inherently dangerous to navigate. being a bike rider, a driver and a walker in the city for more than 20 years now, I can tell you that riding a bike in NYC is dangerous. Cars and pedestrians do not look for you or see you.
However, now that we've put bike lanes in, it has invited so many poor bicycle riders onto the road. Most people on bikes in NYC today should not be on a bike in a city. It's as simple as that. You do not use your phone, you do not text, you don't only look straight ahead and you don't assume you have the right of way. It's as simple as that.

Nov. 27 2012 11:42 AM

As a 25 year NYC bicycling veteran, I can quickly and easily say that bicyclists are my worst enemy on the streets.

This, from a cyclist who has been hit and injured by a motor vehicle.

Insufferable, self-righteous and irresponsible...

Nov. 27 2012 11:42 AM
Marcy Feller from NYC

Riverside Dr. extension & 99th St is a dangerous corner, with an entrance to the park but no light or stop sign. Cars zip by, often trying to beat traffic on Riverside Dr. proper, unaware of a the park entrance frequented by pedestrians often with kids and/or dogs. I tried to get the City to post a stop sign there. A team of observers was sent once, mid-week at mid-day, the time least trafficked by cars and pedestrians, consequently the City concluded that no sign was necessary. I have seen many near accidents, both with pedestrians, as well as with cars entering the extension from West-bound 99th St.

Nov. 27 2012 11:41 AM
Gerard from Lower East Side

The corner of Orchard and Stanton in the Lower East side. Orchard runs North and there is no stop sign. Stanton runs east and has a green lane for bikes. Stanton running East is now a preferred way for commuters moving by bikes to the Williamsburg Bridge. I work as a Sound Engineer and a Security Guard at a venue that has a constant clear view of this intersection. We count the near misses every night. We need at least a stop sign here. Cabs, cars, and trucks, race up Orchard Street trying to get out of traffic on Delancey. The lack of stop sign allow them to race through that intersection where there is heavy pedestrian, bike, and skateboard traffic.

Nov. 27 2012 11:41 AM
Morgan from Gramercy Park

Bike lanes are not the problem. Certain bikers and especially the food delivery people on electric bikes are the problem. And, in my opinion, police officers not enforcing bile laws is a BIG part of the problem. I live on a block with a police station and electric bike delivery guys ride the wrong way down the street, ride on the sidewalk passing police officers and so on. The police don't even raise an eyebrow.

Nov. 27 2012 11:41 AM
Andy from Manhattan

The non-enforcement of traffic laws for cars renders the entire city a dangerous place for those traveling by other means than cars. Lanes/lights/speed limits/do not pass zones are all a joke in this city.

While the police fail to enforce any of this just about any time except when they have a convenient post setup to ticket multiple lots of drivers to satisfy their quotas, what can you expect?

Public safety is clearly not the NYPD's first priority, despite the huge impact so many casualties of bad driving.

Nov. 27 2012 11:40 AM
Melissa from Crown Heights, Brooklyn

Please, please, please stop vilifying all bicyclists. There are plenty more of us out there who are cautious and take both pedestrian rights and driver rights into consideration while pedaling through the city, than the ones who are inconsiderate.

With the always increasing subway fare, a bicycle is a natural and healthy alternative mode of transport. And one that should be looked at as equal in rights to both walkers and drivers.

Nov. 27 2012 11:40 AM
John from NYC

Is there any initiative for installing speed cameras to catch drivers on certain roads in NYC? Also, there needs to be more education and enforcement of the bicycle delivery workers who have these high speed bicycles and ride without much regard for pedestrians.

Nov. 27 2012 11:39 AM
MOSHE SAYER from UWS

according to Transportation Alternatives, and others, NYPD doesn't investigate most of the accidents and even doesn't issue summons. can you comment on it?

Nov. 27 2012 11:39 AM
Rebecca from Brooklyn

I don't have a particular intersection to nominate, but every morning I have to dodge the bicyclists in the bike lane to walk my daughter to her school bus, despite the fact that the bus driver puts out the stop sign and turns on the red lights. They don't obey the rules most of the time. I'm a bicyclist myself, but I try to follow the rules and not endanger other people.

Nov. 27 2012 11:38 AM
Leo from Queens

There needs to be a culture change I agree. But there should be enforcement and responsibility on how to responsibly move through the streets - pedestrians who feel they are entitled to throw themselves onto oncoming traffic (or their baby carriages with their babies!!); bikers speeding and going against traffic with no lights; Drivers weaving in and out of traffic or speeding.

Also, need a culture change from City officials to promote the development of neighborhood commercial streets as it used to exist around subway stops. Government officials have been promoting the suburbanization of our economy so that now we have to drive to go to the supermarket; cleaners and the movies. This is specially bad in the 'outer' boroughs!

Nov. 27 2012 11:37 AM
Shawn Onsgard from Clinton Hill

Atlantic Avenue @ Vanderbilt Avenue in Brooklyn. The new stadium in Brooklyn has not only brought more traffic, but more drivers from out of town who don't know how to drive in this neighborhood.

For most dangerous intersection, I would refer listeners to CrashStat.org

Nov. 27 2012 11:37 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I don't have one particular intersection in mind, but what I have noticed in Brooklyn is an increase in the number of people who make left turns on red lights. I was wondering if you think an increased number of red-light cameras would help reverse this trend.

Nov. 27 2012 11:36 AM
Jaime Weisberg from Astoria, NY

Getting off the BQE at Hoyt Ave / Astoria Blvd in Astoria - way too many roads converge into one location - leading off/on major roads

Nov. 27 2012 11:35 AM
d from west 169th and broadway.

the intersection of 1
west 169th st and broadway and st Nicholas. st Nicholas and broadway cross each other so when the light is green the cars actually cross each other to get to the proper ave. this is also near a school. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=west+169th+street+and+broadway&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c2f69c315aaa09:0x94bfe71b2a8914d3,Broadway+%26+W+169th+St,+New+York,+NY+10032&gl=us&ei=huu0UPLANbHK0AHLgYGICQ&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

Nov. 27 2012 11:34 AM
art525 from Park Slope

I have lived in this city for 35 years. Yes cars can drive too fast and yes they might be aggressive at turning but you know what you are dealing with. But I have never felt so on edge and uncomfortable walking the streets as I have in the last few years with the proliferation of bikers. With cars you know pretty much what to expect but bikers ride on sidewalks, ride in the wrong direction, don't stop at red lights and weave through pedestrians in crosswalks who have the light. They are arrogant and they are unpredictible. And traffic rules are not enforced against them and they know they won't be. In fact some time ago a biker wrote an editorial in The Daily News explaining why she shouldn't be expected to stop at red lights.

Nov. 27 2012 11:34 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Drivers going through red lights is so common nowadays; stand at any intersection for 5 minutes and you'll see several examples.

In addition, pedestrians, instead of being MORE wary of the lower abidance of traffic laws, walk and cross streets as if they were protected by some invisible bubble. They don't bother to look, even if they are not completely engrossed in their electronic devices, as so many are.

All in all, a recipe for danger and tragedy.

Nov. 27 2012 11:33 AM

Delancy and Essex.

I was introduced to the windshield of a speeding van whilst riding my bicycle at this intersection.

Unfortunately, I am not been the only one to be injured or killed here.

Nov. 27 2012 11:33 AM
Morris Zapp from NYC

Dear Brian Lehrer and WNYC: Streetsblog covers this issue day in and day out. They have the only reporters in the city who make traffic safety their beat.

It's nice that New York Magazine has devoted a few pages to the thousands who are killed and injured every year while walking and biking, but I dare say if not for Streetsblog the Kolker story would not have come to be.

Nov. 27 2012 11:23 AM
Milton from Queens

The intersection where BQE, Broadway, 37th ave and 69th street meet. It's confusing and there is no sidewalk on the south side of 37th avenue but people walk on the street anyway even though they have to walk through a busy on ramp. https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?ll=40.748549,-73.895926&spn=0.001676,0.003484&ctz=300&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A

Nov. 27 2012 11:06 AM