Holiday Shopping Report

Monday, November 26, 2012

Derek Thompson, a senior editor at The Atlantic who oversees business coverage online, recaps the weekend's holiday shopping and takes your calls on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday.

Margaret from UWS Manhattan

Wednesday should be Re-Focus on the Meaning of the Holidays Day; or Make the 3-Week Checklist Now, So You Don't Get Overwhelmed By Then, Day

Nov. 27 2012 04:29 PM
Rosemary from Brooklyn

I nominate Wednesday, Nov 28th as "Stop talking about Black Friday" Day

Nov. 26 2012 12:10 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I worked last Thursday (Thanksgiving) and on my way home, I saw people with folding chairs starting the line at the local Target. My gut reaction is that they should have been home enjoying Thanksgiving with their families. One of the best things about the very few holidays we get is to spend time with family. Why spoil that by sitting out in the cold waiting to shop?

Nov. 26 2012 12:01 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

If the resources to fund an increase in aggregate demands comes from borrowed sources, the effect is very much short-term with a long-term negative impact on the economy.

Nov. 26 2012 11:58 AM
Nathan from Hoboken, NJ

I didnt buy anything over the weekend or holiday and will not buy anything today. I am one of those people who thinks this is simply out of control. I spent my holiday with people I care about enriching my body and mind over making my neighbors work silly hours. We have become pawns of the consumer culture - stop it people, stop it!

Nov. 26 2012 11:56 AM
Brenda from New York City

I'm convinced that Small Business Saturday and Giving Tuesday are the best things to happen to holiday shopping since Mr. Macy sent shoppers to Gimbels!

Nov. 26 2012 11:00 AM