The Hawaiian War Chant Extravaganza 2012

« previous episode | next episode »

Sunday, November 18, 2012

A song that has its roots in a languid love ballad, The Hawaiian War Chant appears on nearly every album of Hawaiian and exotic music recorded in the 1950s and '60s. Usually it was an album's only up-tempo number, and so a lot of eccentric, excited arrangements of the tune were made. Played one after another, these varied arrangements display wild imagination and irrepressible verve. David Garland's first Hawaiian War Chant Extravaganza was on WNYC in 1989, prompting articles in the Wall Street Journal and Honolulu Magazine. Garland offered listeners a suitable-for-framing diploma to anyone who survived the ordeal, and received many requests. Diplomas from Spinning On Air's Fully Discredited University of the Air are available on the honor system. Download the diploma below, if you listened to the whole show, if you wish you had, or even if you wish you hadn't.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Nick from Greenpoint

That would be the great Mickey Katz

Nov. 21 2012 12:14 PM
Jen from CA

Hurray! It's back!!

Nov. 20 2012 07:30 PM
Christa from Brooklyn

This show was great! I was mentally preparing myself for 2 hours of Hawaiian War Chant for some reason and was bummed when the show was over after 1

Nov. 18 2012 10:39 PM
Heather from The Burbs, NY

An hour or so ago, I put on WNYC as background while my 4 & 5 yr old daughters and I did "beauty" night. In between speckling their eyelids with glittering blue eyeshadow and painting their nails and every other surface of the bathroom pink and purple, we realized we were listening to some pretty funky music. The 4yr old got up and did an underpants version of an excitable hula / mambo. Then the digital beeping version came on, which was so awful, we couldn't decide if it would be worse to be stuck in a room listening to that music all day or smelling our dog's farts. The music won by a slim margin. I am now blissfully child-free and plan to use a coconut oil treatment on my hair, so of course I plan to continue the Hawaiian War Chant festival. Bring it on!

Nov. 18 2012 09:23 PM
Brid from Flatbush

Fabulous, couldn't stop listening (music for the Mambodancer)
and would love a playlist as well...
and put up a tropical themed parrot garland for the holiday...
Thanks!

Nov. 18 2012 09:12 PM
Ashleigh from Brooklyn

Nov. 18 2012 09:07 PM
Guy from Ramsey, NJ

awesome as always - what you do is the best of WNYC ! - 'xcuse me but I'm gonna go find my diploma now :)

Nov. 18 2012 08:59 PM
MeGo from New York

Oy vey! I didn't intend to leave duplicate posts. Kindly remove the redundant ones [and this].

Nov. 18 2012 08:55 PM
Steven Kureczko from An Island off of Manhattan

David, I'm flying while I'm listening to your broadcast tonight and remembering when WNYC aired lots of [insert all varieties of glorious expletives here] Music not so long ago. Oh, the Good Old Days. Thank you so much for doing some of what you do so beautifully well.

Nov. 18 2012 08:54 PM

Well... when I first moved to NYC in 1989, I'm sure I heard your first rendition of the Hawaiian War Chant marathon โ€” if not, then the second one. I've lived with it ever since...!!

I think this year I will finally make it to the one-hour mark. (At least I'm trying...) I've downloaded the diploma as motivation. (And you've just played my favorite rendition โ€” Spike Jones, that crazy nut!)

Will you have a playlist up on the website at the end of the show? Also, have you ever played the University of Michigan Marching Band's version? Back in the 1970s, they used to play that and an arrangement of "Temptation" back to back, always during their post-game presentation but sometimes they worked both into their half-time show.

When your marathon ceases in a year to come, I'm sure that will be the day of my passing from this earth. Please โ€” keep me alive!

Mark Victor

Nov. 18 2012 08:53 PM
MeGo from New York

Is there a playlist for this extravaganza? I *must* know the name of that quasi-Yiddish tune you played earlier. Thank you!

Nov. 18 2012 08:53 PM