Puerto Rican Election Results

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Flag of Puerto Rico (Deiby/flickr)

Yarimar Bonilla, political anthropologist and a professor in the departments of both anthropology and Latino and Caribbean Studies at Rutgers University, analyzes the election results in Puerto Rico, including the vote on statehood.

Yarimar Bonilla

vagabond from NY

There are a few things that aren't taken into account with this is that the plebiscite is non-binding... That means it means nothing... Congress decided the fate of Puerto Rico... If all Puerto Ricans wanted independence then the US Congress would still have the power to decided the "status" of Puerto Rico...

As a result of this people who support independence in Puerto Rico don't vote in the plebiscite because it's not a vote for the political status of Puerto Rico but essentially a poll... Independence supporters are asking for Puerto Rico to be a politically and economically independent for a period of ten years. At the end of that ten year period then a vote could on Puerto Rico's status could be had and a Puerto Ricans would have an idea as to what independence is like... Right now Puerto Ricans are voting on something that they have no understanding of... Puerto Ricans are not free... The US Congress can strike down any law Puerto Ricans create and Puerto Rico cannot trade with any other nation other than the US... This is not independence... And since Puerto Ricans don't know what independence is then how can they vote for it?

These are some the issues that people who support independence have with US colonialism in Puerto Rico and the management of the colony by Puerto Ricans for US interests... The bottom line is that Puerto Ricans are asked to vote on independence without knowing what independence is... That's the unfair advantage that independence has to bear...

Nov. 15 2012 02:03 PM
The Truth from Becky

Very familiar with the Constitution LEO- it was written without YOU or me in mind LEO!

Nov. 15 2012 12:43 PM
The Truth from Becky

Uhmm hello LEO FROM QUEENS...I "failed" to notice?? A whole Country full of immigrants who came here with their own language and traditions?? Really do you really think I am not familiar with US Constitution and the history of this Country?

Nov. 15 2012 12:42 PM

fyi:

My only reluctance in voting for BO was the fact that he has proven to be way too right of center, for my taste.

Nov. 15 2012 12:40 PM
Leo from Queens

dboy : I have to say this, but you have been secretly attending the Mitt Romney seminar series on understanding your fellow human beings..Hope you are not paying too much money to attend these 'learning' seminars

Nov. 15 2012 12:34 PM
Arbizo

This is what a PR'n told me about the issue. The US will never do it, they will not accept another star in their flag. 51 is an uneven number. I replied, no Puerto Rican will ever abandon their flag.

Nov. 15 2012 12:06 PM

...both here and on the island, itself!

Nov. 15 2012 12:06 PM

Enrique from Hillcrest~

PR already IS one of the "highest per capita use of welfare and government services in the union."

Nov. 15 2012 12:04 PM
Leo from Queens

To "The Truth from Becky": that is correct. It's not written in the Constitution. If we are to follow Conservative thinking of people like Justice Scalia, English should not be the official language because it's not in the constitution. In fact, according to his thinking women should have no equal rights as men since it's not mentioned in the Constitution.

You also fail to notice that as this country expanded it contained regions and large populations of French speaking (New England - Maine; Louisiana purchase); Native American language speakers (several million Indians which of course were exterminated later on) and Spanish speakers (Texas; ALL of the Southwest; Florida) and Russian Speakers (Alaska).

Nov. 15 2012 12:03 PM
Enrique from Hillcrest

No offense to Puerto Rico, but do we really want them as a state or even a territory? They would be one of the poorest if not the poorest state. They would have the highest per capita use of welfare and government services in the union.

I would say, please go independent so we stop sinking money into Puerto Rico while getting no federal taxes back.

Nov. 15 2012 12:01 PM

What was the basis/history of the very confused, paternalistic relationship between the US and PR???

Is it still the guilt trip from Christopher Columbus slaughtering and enslaving thousands of Taínos???

Nov. 15 2012 12:00 PM
The Truth from Becky

Say What? It is not WRITTEN anywhere that English is the "Official" language of the US??? Do you NEED to see it in writing?

Nov. 15 2012 11:56 AM

OK, I'll ask; How about paying taxes???

Nov. 15 2012 11:56 AM
Antonio

If phones were not lighting up, it will say a lot about your Latino audience and of the unimportance of the issue for Ricans here.

Nov. 15 2012 11:54 AM
Leo from Queens

Would be nice to have Puerto Rico as the 51st state. It would be another Blue state!.

But I'm sure Republicans would be totally against that. Can't have people of color with full rights as citizens!.

Btw, I never got my generous gift from President Obama and I voted for him. Can anybody tell me what gifts they got from Obama? I guess he missed me!

Nov. 15 2012 11:52 AM
Robert from NYC

I would vote for an independent Puerto Rico.

Nov. 15 2012 11:52 AM

With the current fiscal cliff looming, can we really continue to afford this state of perpetual dole????

Nov. 15 2012 11:50 AM