How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Jim Sterba explains how Americans came to live in closer proximity to more wild animals and birds in the eastern United States than we have in 400 years. In Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds, Sterba looks at how how efforts to protect animals allowed wild populations to burgeon out of control, causing damage costing billions, degrading ecosystems, and touching off disputes that polarized communities.

Jim Sterba

Harry from NJ

@Wayne Johnson Ph.D. from Bk
Where did you get this idiotic idea Wayne? Do you know the definition of murder? Since the dawn of human existence mankind has used hunting and later, animal husbandry as a source of food. So sorry this offends your post-modern moronic sensibilities and you reject the fact that you are here today because of it!

Nov. 16 2012 08:15 AM
The Truth from Becky

Yep, what Dom said....LOL

Nov. 15 2012 02:05 PM
Jaime

What about Ground hogs! Seems they are multiply more and more!!! I've never seen as much. Does this lure more coyotes etc.

Nov. 15 2012 12:33 PM
Wayne Johnson Ph.D. from Bk

Professor Sterba simply wants to murder animals who have done nothing but try and live their lives among human invasions. At least Leonard ask him if there was an alternative.

Nov. 15 2012 12:32 PM
emmanuel from hastings

I live in westchester. In recent years I have noticed an explosion of turkey vultures. Nearly every day you can spot these nasty big birds flying over head somewhere. Are there are any health concerns from these animals.. Is suburban venison good to eat?

Nov. 15 2012 12:32 PM
Patricia

Jim Sterba also wrote a great book called Frankie's Place. Is Maine still full of vicious mosquitos and mushrooms?

Nov. 15 2012 12:30 PM
Henry from Katonah

I live in northern Westchester county where deer hunting season is short and bows & arrows are allowed. Some towns engage in "culling the herds" without (public) explanation of how they decide on target numbers for culling or the deer population. Do they take censuses? Many people get worked up about this pro and con.

Nov. 15 2012 12:28 PM

...LOVE the beaver!

Nov. 15 2012 12:28 PM
Sharon from Elmhurst

Lyme Disease is caused by the bacteria borrelia bergdorfia. It is not a virus, as your guest mentioned.

Nov. 15 2012 12:23 PM
Dom from Morris County, NJ

I live 35 miles due west of the Empire State Building. In my yard I get regular visits by deer, fox, wild turkey, coyote, black bear (one knocked over the bird feeder this morning) and all manner of beautiful birds including humming birds in the summer. The deer are often in my driveway noshing and the bear has chewed holes in my bear-proof $100 trash can. Like the weather, everyone talks about it but no one has a way for us to co-exist short of popping a cap in their behinds.

Nov. 15 2012 12:20 PM
Dan from Midtown.

This reminds me of a West Wing episode.

Nov. 15 2012 12:14 PM