Our Patchwork Nation

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Dante Chinni, Patchwork Nation director, discusses the election results through the lens of Patchwork Nation.

Dante Chinni

@Joe from nearby

"Bill Clinton said it all-

'Who wants a president who will knowingly, repeatedly tell you something he knows isn't true?'"

Seriously?!? Well that one should get him some time in the penalty box for an Irony violation. (and I appreciate the job that Bill Clinton pulled off in getting Obama re-elected.)

Nov. 07 2012 05:33 PM

fuva
and in CT that linda mcmahon wasted a ton of money to not get elected again
GREAT JOB CT

Nov. 07 2012 02:57 PM
Carl from Nj

Forget the 'margin' in popular vote -- govern like he won in a landslide.
Trying to compromise is not the way to get anything done, and takes all your energy
Away from your own goals. (Remember Bush 2000 - the popular vote certainly
Did not enter his mind.)

Nov. 07 2012 11:11 AM
Steve from Queens NY

I just hate to say but like the Obama win in 08 and with his win again in 2012, we will see a bunch of angry white men (the people that owns most business in the U.S.) will get even angrier at this outcome. Call me crazy or off my rocker, but I think one of the ways they will try and even this blow will be by continuing to reduce the hiring of minorities (in most cases hiring people that align with their cultural & political belief). I worked for a Wall St. firm and with the 08 election of Obama; I saw some very angry white co-workers and business owners use this as a backlash. In 2010 I was 1 of several minorities that was let go 2 years later. I can predict that if business turn to the negative direction in the near future, you will see more minorities out of work than their white co-workers. This is my opinion and it is so difficult to prove my points, but I can see it happening around me. I think it’s the new conspiracy theory in the business sector. Has anyone or group ever run the numbers on this since we have number on everything?

Nov. 07 2012 11:02 AM
amalgam from NYC by day, NJ by night

I think Chinni is right that the next 10-20 years will be very interesting for the U.S. in terms of economics, politics and culture because of the many structural issues and mega-trends that must be confronted, which include demographic trends/shifts, globalization, a workforce unskilled to meet new Information/Network economy, etc.

To reiterate Chinni's main point, how does the U.S. - from the government at every level to the citizenship itself - include and empower those people who have been left out of American prosperity over the past 30+ years?

And contrary to some, I think that political and economic ideological purity will not the be the way forward.

Nov. 07 2012 10:59 AM
Joe from nearby

Bill Clinton said it all-

Nov. 07 2012 10:44 AM
mck from Indiana

Brian, a number of states underwent reapportionment under Republican governors and Republican state legislatures. Since the ground changed, the status quo in the House can only be called an unexpected win.

Nov. 07 2012 10:40 AM
Tom P

Obama is at 303 electoral votes - exactly what the experts said 2 years ago. we didn't even need to have the election. they knew it all along.

Nov. 07 2012 10:35 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Another segment?: Campaign micro-targeting and data-mining and...privacy.

Nov. 07 2012 10:34 AM
MFan from Staten Island

One of the most refreshing things about this to me, like the caller said, is that the SuperPAC monied interests didn't give the election to Romney. It's great to know that weird little rich gremlins like Sheldon Adelson don't control our democracy after all.

Nov. 07 2012 10:34 AM
fuva from harlemworld

So, what does this say about money in politics and Citizens United? Romney's corporate money didn't pull it off. There's probably a segment in the works on this.

Nov. 07 2012 10:33 AM