Breaking Down the Election

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

super tuesday, ballots, voting, voting booths Votes cast their ballots (J.D. Pooley/Getty Images)

Jeff Greenfield, co-host of PBS's "Need to Know" and columnist for Yahoo! News, talks about last night's results.

Jeff Greenfield

Where in this thread am I bellyaching? At the time of that posting I was still on an "In yo face!" high.

I really do hope that McConnell, Boehner, Cantor and DeMint can man up and put country over Party but I know that they cannot...They're just not made that way. They would rather lose a gonad than compromise....not that Mitch is using his much.

My belief is that the GOP leaders will try to pull enough antics between now and the 2014 elections and that the country has no trouble pulling the lever for Democrats to take back the House and get the country working. Maybe then we can put some buying power in the average earners salary again. It's been draining out since Nixon was in the White House.

Nov. 07 2012 05:20 PM
Bob from Huntington

Steve:

The guy from Hungary who appears in the ad says in the ad that he paid for it, himself. Sorry for the late response to your query.

Nov. 07 2012 02:01 PM

dboy
im always totally correct.

Nov. 07 2012 01:54 PM

Really it is now time for Brian (and other rational people) to politely but firmly correct these FoxNews-deranged callers when they repeat these demonstrably false talking points. If they are allowed to hang in the air uncorrected they will continue to poison our discourse and ability to move forward. End Fox News Derangement Now!

Nov. 07 2012 01:10 PM
tim from nyc

@dboy - but you're right: i swung and missed.
shoulda said: "@RUCB_Alum is making my argument for me by bellyaching"
but i didn't. i'll be a little lighter on my toes next time.

Nov. 07 2012 11:41 AM
judy hartmann from Pittsford, New York

I'm thrilled with the election outcome. For us, this means our kids - one with chronic pre-existing health conditions, will probably be able to have insurance. It also will give everyone with pre-existing health conditions the ability to make personal choices, such as relocating to another state, without worries of being shut out of health insurance.

Nov. 07 2012 11:24 AM
tim from nyc

@dboy - i'll be back

Nov. 07 2012 11:09 AM

You guys are totally correct.

I have confused Claire McCaskill with Tammy Baldwin,

It won't be the last time I screw-up!

Nov. 07 2012 11:06 AM
Edward from NJ

@dboy, Claire McCaskill, a married, straight woman, defeated Todd Akin. Tammy Baldwin, who is gay, won a completely different race in Wisconsin.

Nov. 07 2012 10:58 AM

tim from nyc ~

You're a kitty cat, now??

Nov. 07 2012 10:57 AM

dboy
i don't think Clair McCaskill is a lesbian, not that there's anything wrong with that. there was another woman running that u might be thinking of

Nov. 07 2012 10:57 AM
tim from nyc

@ RUCB_Alum .. mew.

Nov. 07 2012 10:56 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

@tim from nyc

>>wouldn't want mitney either. don't assume anything. makes an a$$...

Can see nowhere in my post that I claim you wanted anyone. So who's the a$$?

Nov. 07 2012 10:51 AM

RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey ~

SO true.

Nov. 07 2012 10:51 AM

Careful, BK from Hoboken - you're going to offend Edward from NJ's delicate faux political correctness concerning lesbians' privacy and outing Clair McCaskill.

Nov. 07 2012 10:48 AM

Dog Bless Joan from Brooklyn!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:44 AM
tim from nyc

brian: "... and a black man to boot ..."
your words need to be posted on other forums for comment and input.

Nov. 07 2012 10:42 AM
Judith from Brooklyn

Filibuster reform - PRIORITY #1!

Nov. 07 2012 10:41 AM
tim from nyc

@ RUCB_Alum
wouldn't want mitney either. don't assume anything. makes an a$$...

Nov. 07 2012 10:41 AM
Joan from Brooklyn

2 years of pre-election coverage, election coverage, post-election coverage, which will continue until every newspaper, magazine, radio and tv show gets to expound. Enough already with the election. Can we just move on?

Nov. 07 2012 10:40 AM
BK from Hoboken

Everyone keeps saying its ithe status quo. It is not te status quo. Every day that goes by, the Repunlican support literally dies off. It is a party of mostly older white people with a lot of prejudices. With gay marriage passing on ballots, a lesbian winning a seat, and a black man re-elected, their prejudices are on the way out. David Frum said it best on The Takeaway this morning addressing his fellow Republicans. He said that they need to get past the subtle race issues etc because some day their kids are going to marry a minority and they will have little light brown babies! Lol! So true.

Nov. 07 2012 10:40 AM
Megan from Manhattan

In an ideal world, this election will put meaningful issues of equality - sexism, same sex marriage, undocumented workers, racism in America, the rights of workers, etc... - on the table for conservatives to tackle conceptually and politically. It would be to live in a world where these were the central issues of politics. But I just don't see that kind of pragmatism emerging from the Republican party in Congress, and a non-supermajoirity in the Senate. As long as the media does not put sufficient focus on this single most important issue, American politics will be stunted.

Nov. 07 2012 10:40 AM
The Truth from Becky

We must fix this antiquated system of voting - I approve spending my taxes on an upgrade!

Nov. 07 2012 10:39 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

@tim from nyc
>>not sure what's worse: lib bellyaching when con is in office.
or lib gloating winning an election.

Whatever....It can never match con bellyaching.

Seeing Americans keep their government out of the Potter Bros hands is pretty satisfying. And watching Brit Hume say "D+7 used in the polls appears to have been correct" was really, really satisfying.

The story that Karl Rove's hissy-fit caused FoxNews to backtrack the Ohio call was just too rewarding to ignore. I envision Rumpelstiltskin stamping his feet and tearing himself in two. Hopefully some brave FoxNewsie will post to youtube.

Nov. 07 2012 10:37 AM

Bob from Huntington ~

That very same, ad pops up when you share this Sarah Silverman, Get Nana A Gun vid on Facebook:

Spooky.

Nov. 07 2012 10:37 AM
Edward from NJ

@dboy, you're right about the caller, but -- unless you're outing Clair McCaskill -- you're a bit confused as well. ;-)

Nov. 07 2012 10:37 AM

Bob from Huntington-

Who paid for that ad?

Nov. 07 2012 10:33 AM
chris dennehy from rockaway, nj

The "media", particularly the punditocracy should give props to the number crunching nate silver's and sam wang's of the world, whose aggregating electoral analysis was so dead on..... the pundits with their unsophisticated "too close to call" take remind me of the grizzled, old school baseball scouts at the beginning of "MOney Ball". Their conventional wold view has been turned on its head.

chris D

Nov. 07 2012 10:33 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Worse then losing, Romney has also soiled himself in the process -- with the race-baiting, birther-hobnobbing, Southern Strategy-pandering. Too bad. One thing to lose, another to be a loser. Will history look back on Republicans in this campaign the way we look back on Goldwater supporters? The shouting hordes in 1957 Little Rock? The John Birch Society? I wish them all transformation.

Nov. 07 2012 10:32 AM
ethan from bk

ellen is totally right -- so good to see corporate money can't buy (this particular) election. phew.

Nov. 07 2012 10:32 AM
The Truth from Becky

Nooo caller Phil, we cannot blame the media now can we? When the words that sank romney's ship came right outta his mouth!

Nov. 07 2012 10:31 AM
Tom P

I wonder what Mitch make-Obama-1-term-president McConnell was saying last night. Will he be part of the solution or continue to be a big part of the problem?

Nov. 07 2012 10:30 AM
MikeInBrklyn from Clinton Hill

Why is it this nonsensical false statement that Obama doubled this and that never squarely rebuked by media hosts like Brian?

With those statements the originator postulates that any politician can take office and make a FULL stop to trends he/she inherits. What nonsense!!

If the Republicans lost, it is because too many of them live in the utter altered reality that makes them easily accept such illogical concepts. Luckily, there are enough people in the electorate who don't and would like to deal with reality.

Nov. 07 2012 10:30 AM
Anthony from Brooklyn

What were the two books that Jeff Greenfield mentioned?

Nov. 07 2012 10:30 AM
Bob from Huntington

Did anyone see the ad CNN aired last night after they had already called the election in which a guy who grew up in Hungary when it was part of the Soviet bloc said voting for Obama would lead to the creation of a repressive Socialist regime in the U.S.?

Nov. 07 2012 10:30 AM
antonio from baySide

Wow so much of what the chattering class has been proven wrong! Nate Silver was right, the young vote SURPASSED their 2008 contribution...

Nov. 07 2012 10:29 AM
Lola from Clinton Hill

RE Brian's question of how I feel post '12 compared to post '08 - as an African-American, Obama's win in '08 made me finally feel like I was truly welcome in the US. But was it a fluke?

So much of this year's conservative campaign was "fear the other" - not just Welfare Moms, but the return of the Angry Chinese Professor and other rants truly felt like a war on people who don't look like Bill Reilly's "white establishment." With Obama's win last night, I realized I had been holding my breath a bit for four years, but now I can truly let go.

Nov. 07 2012 10:28 AM

Priya from Brooklyn, Aneece from Providence.

Amen!

Nov. 07 2012 10:27 AM
Joe from nearby

@caller Phil- next time you call in please be a bit more creative than parroting foxaganda talking points.

Nov. 07 2012 10:27 AM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

Phil the caller is detached...

Obama did NOT double the debt. Bush left it at $11.5T. Deficits have been going down since Bush is out of office.

Obama did NOT double unemployment. The JOBS JOBS JOBS Congress has done NOTHING for two years.

Phil is showing FoxNews derangement. His point of view is poisoned by their misinformation.

Mr. Let Detroit Go Through a Bankruptcy cooked his own goose. Ask the voters of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michighan and Wisconsin.

Nov. 07 2012 10:27 AM
jay from nj

Now comes the hangover after the debauch. So relieved this is over; time to get serious and get busy on the economy. Time to insist congress actually WORKS. I'm left saddened and appalled at the amount of MONEY, on both sides, that was thrown away on this election. I feel like some kind of crime occurred, and now I need to search around the house to see what got taken. Then we need to figure out how to secure the house again. I'm battered and disillusioned. Hope was the last thing left in Pandora's Box, and it was small and hiding in a corner. We need to rescue it.

Nov. 07 2012 10:27 AM
Priya from Brooklyn

Oh Phil in Queens, the media is not to blame over Romney's loss anymore than leprechauns. If Republicans continue to ignore women and minority issues they are continually going to lose. Republicans have problems and they have everything to do with how they treat other people AND not how other people treat them (ie the media).

Nov. 07 2012 10:25 AM
Todd from Brooklyn

Caller Phil talking about the "Interview bombshell" is still living on the banks of denial…That interview thing was such a non-issue, there's no there there. noone but extreme partisans cared. Still blaming the media. Such blindness in the right of center part of our country.

Nov. 07 2012 10:24 AM
Aneece from Providence.

Brian, you should note, on air, that Obama neither doubled the debt nor doubled unemployment, contra to the sad conservative caller. He should advocate his position with facts, not hallucinations.

Nov. 07 2012 10:24 AM

Phil, the caller "from the right", you are SERIOUSLY confused.

Nov. 07 2012 10:23 AM
The Truth from Becky

@Jerry, LOL, you are at the wrong location, also see Kate's notes below, you could have gone anywhere!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:18 AM
dan k from park slope

my friend told me that since he was a facebook friend of Obama, Obama's campaign team was able to see which of his friends and family weren't registered, and notified him to tell them to register and vote

Nov. 07 2012 10:18 AM

I ♥ Liz Warren!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:17 AM
Egroge from NYC

Where online (preferably on WNYC.ORG) can we find the senate and congressional election results, and ballot initiatives across the entire country?

Nov. 07 2012 10:16 AM

...let's not get carried away, Tim Geithner® still has a job!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:16 AM

Gotta LOVE that a lesbian sent Todd “Legitimate Rape” Aikin packing!!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:14 AM
Jerry from nyc

from my sleeping bag, in my lawn chair, in front of my polling place, when do they open the door!?

Nov. 07 2012 10:13 AM
The Truth from Becky

Congratulations to President Obama! Now let's see if there is cooperation this time when you extend your hand to congress. Will they continue to obstruct? or will they support?

Make no error - the AMERICAN people have spoken.

Nov. 07 2012 10:12 AM
john from Ofice

To the Obama haters, don't you wonder why world leaders and their citizens are pleased??. Because the USA is important and we need a leader, Obama is that leader.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Nov. 07 2012 10:10 AM

Chizzlewit continues to have a reason to exist.

Nov. 07 2012 10:10 AM
Edward from NJ

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Brian Lehrer Show listener who was happy to hear that Nan Hayworth was not reelected. If you hadn't heard that already, aren't you a little bit happy now?

Nov. 07 2012 10:07 AM

Billion $dollar$ campaign HANGOVER!!!

Nov. 07 2012 10:07 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Brian's initial thoughts seem to assume a clueless electorate.

Nov. 07 2012 10:07 AM
Smokey from LES

It costs more to buy an election than the Koch Brothers thought!

Nov. 07 2012 10:06 AM
tim from nyc

brian: " ... a black man, no less ..."
woah. if you were a conservative commentator, you'd be broiled.

Nov. 07 2012 10:06 AM
Kate from Washington Heights

Hey Brian - I am happy with the results last night, but I wasn't able to vote yesterday. I went to Pennsylvania to work on Obama's camp and due to various factors, I came back late. I was afraid I wouldn't make it up to my polling site by 9pm and, knowing that Gov. Cuomo had signed an order that anyone living in an area affected by Sandy could vote in other polling places, I went to a site where I knew I could arrive by 9pm. I told the woman at the desk, "Governor Cuomo says I can vote here." She replied, "Well then Governor Cuomo should have made sure we had enough affidavits." They had none. This was only a few minutes before 9pm and there were several of us in the same boat. Some people DID live in that polling site area, but weren't on the list. They, too, couldn't vote, even though it was their site. Brian, we need to talk about how to change our voting procedures! This is 2012. Why couldn't each site have computers where they could have just printed out affidavits, for Pete's sake? I kind of hoped Obama would lose the popular vote in order to create outrage in order to get political will to make changes in how we vote. Thanks for your fine journalism.

Nov. 07 2012 10:05 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Is the Obama victory an historical turning point a la the Civil War and Civil Rights Movement? I've heard this. Maybe. But there's still work to do. Obama will be freer to act this term, but he seems to need to be pressured. And Congress needs to be put/kept in line.

Citizens, with the nuanced issues we face, we have to get on our game. We really require mechanisms promoting more informed, substantive discourse.

Nov. 07 2012 10:05 AM
john from office

Maybe if the Republican party ran candidates that did not scare people or were fringe freaks, there would be a contest. Romney is none of those, but had to compete with idiots for the ballot.

I am proud of My President and may god bless outr nation.

Nov. 07 2012 10:04 AM
Seth Pickenstiff

Oh, now you want to set rancor aside. Too little, too late, Martin. You are a sad, sad man.

Nov. 07 2012 10:02 AM
tim from nyc

not sure what's worse: lib bellyaching when con is in office.
or lib gloating winning an election.

Nov. 07 2012 10:02 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

On a day that we must set rancor aside.....
the people have spoken.....
and we can only hope that there was wisdom in their choice for the course of the next 4 years.....
but that is the way our democracy works and we must respect it.

(tomorrow....it's back to our right to criticize policies that are bad)

Nov. 07 2012 09:59 AM