Election Day Call-In: Voting After Sandy, and Voting in the Swing States

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Election 2012 map showing swing states (270ToWin)

It's Election Day! We talk to reporters, look at the important story lines, and more importantly take your calls. With:

• WNYC's Richard Hake and New Jersey Public Radio's David Furst with the latest news on voting and the Sandy recovery, with NJPR's Nancy Solomon and WNYC's Beth Fertig and Bob Hennelly

• Your calls for our Informal, Unofficial, Thoroughly Unscientific Exit Poll: How is post-Sandy voting going? What does voting today mean to you? Call 646-829-3980 or post below!

Plus, reporters from crucial swing states discuss the latest polls and how their states are shaping up on Election Day:

All day the WNYC newsroom is keeping their eye on your reports and questions on Twitter using #NYVote and #NJVote

Martin DiCaro, Beth Fertig, David Furst, Richard Hake, Bob Hennelly, Jo Ingles, John O'Connor and Nancy Solomon

Robert from NYC

Four more years of the same nonsense. Four more years of decay and decline and yet a population deceiving itself that all will be well. I have voted all my life and never missed one election over 40 years; I did not vote this year. I'm sick of settling and being told to vote to the better of two mediocre choices and I decided NO. I hear you blab on with joy and relief in your voices but then you probably make more that 200K / annum and can afford to sound relieved. But this administration has kept a distance from lower income and poor populations and will so continue to. The "deal" with the Rs on the budget will not be good and it's time for "Complete Change". Mediocrity has won again and let's keep our eyes open and watch the decline but work for a real turn around. It will take us all to do it. It's time to stand up and make these people get on the ball and work for the entire country. It's time for these elected work for the electorate. "Wake up America!" to quote Dennis Kucinich.

Nov. 07 2012 10:34 AM
betsy from NYC

11:30 a.m. - Center St. & Franklin St. court house - AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!!!! Chaos, incompetence, over crowding (many people were sent from other voting places, even though those places were working), long waits, a whole line of voters waiting at a table without anyone working it, then, the biggest insult - our ballets went into a "box" to be scanned later!!! 38 years of voting & nothing comes close to this disaster. Unbelievable!

Nov. 06 2012 01:36 PM
ileen from uws

About an hour to vote at PS9 on UWS today. Of the seven ballot scanners on site, three were jammed and not able to be used. This was about 9am - who knows how many more jammed after that. None of the jammed machines were being looked at or attempted to be repaired.

Nov. 06 2012 01:34 PM
Calls'em from McLean, VA

Something for you to think about on this Election Day - Obama's records have been released -

- 23 million unemployed
- 43 straight months of 8+% unemployment
- 49 million on food stamps
- Black poverty at record highs
- Middle class has lost 1/3 of its net worth.
- Black youth unemployment over 50%.
- Hispanic unemployment at 10.3%
- Illegals set to receive $7 billion.
- Food prices up more than 25%.
- Gas prices DOUBLED.
- Worst job creation record since 1945.
- Worst economic recovery in 75 years.
- Average household income DECLINES $4,300.
- Health insurance INCREASES $2,500 under Obama
- Only President to have US credit downgraded – now twice!
- Over 100 million people on some form of means tested welfare.
- $6 trillion added to our debt… more than all presidents combined.

Now go out and vote for Romney/Ryan 2012!!!

Nov. 06 2012 12:04 PM
Calls'em from McLean, VA

Despite 4 years of non-stop propaganda for 0bama from NPR and his other biased minions in the media, Romney is going to win in a landslide tonight. It will be over by 7 PM when he wins VA & NH and 8 PM when he wins PA.

Nov. 06 2012 12:02 PM

Anyone know what the lines are like at PS 172 in Brooklyn - 4th Ave and 30th?

Nov. 06 2012 11:28 AM
Frank from Jackson Heights

Hispanic voters appear to be very motivated, even in non-swing state New York. Just voted in Jackson Heights, and in the decade I have lived and voted in this district I have never seen such long lines. About a half hour wait- line moved mercifully fast thanks to short ballot - and as I left the line was literally out the door. It makes me wonder whether we will have that Electoral College/popular vote split if these trends hold in other Democratic leaning areas.

Nov. 06 2012 11:27 AM
Katherine from Manhattan

Voted on 52nd street and 8th avenue in PS 58. Took almost an hour, badly managed lines, several voters tried to get the poll workers to manage the lines better. One scanner working out of three for my district. After thirty minutes a second scanner was fixed and was up and lines were moving quicker. Lines were out the door and down the block by the time I left at 9:48.

Nov. 06 2012 11:19 AM
steveH from b'klyn

NPR's Apology to Abigael Evans

Posted to the npr site:

Dear Little Girl: Sorry We Made You Cry About 'Bronco Bamma' And Mitt Romney

Personally I think she heard about Big Bird!

Nov. 06 2012 11:16 AM
Tom Crisp from uws

Who says voting doesn't matter if your state is "safe"? That is a preposterous and harmful notion.

I can't begin to state all the reasons, but I, for one, want to be counted in the popular vote.

In what is expected to be a close election, a popular vote that matches the electoral count is extremely important to the national psyche.

Nov. 06 2012 11:12 AM
m

There seems to be voting problems in Brooklyn unrelated to the hurricane. Notices went out before the storm about new polling locations but it turned out to be completely incorrect information.

Nov. 06 2012 11:11 AM
The Truth from Becky

Please stop running that clip - cute but it just means Abby's parents are watching too much FOX NEWS!!

Nov. 06 2012 11:09 AM
LB

To Nina on Long Island: If none of the generous offers posted here work for you, in addition to calling your local democratic party office, you can call your local representatives - town, state assembly/senate or congressperson. Hope your dad casts his vote!

Nov. 06 2012 11:04 AM
James from Flatbush

Can you briefly discuss on air or give a web reference as to what issues are on the ballot for NYC today BESIDES the Presidential election? I haven't found much info online and if there are any other issues and/or initiatives to be voted on I'd like to do some research before going to vote. Thanks.

Nov. 06 2012 11:04 AM
Larry from Brooklyn

I just voted here in Williamsburg. When I entered, there was a huge line... I almost left. However, it turns out that that was a one for just one of the districts all packed in there and the others had short lines. However, as usual, it was poorly organized. The signs are on tables blocked by people so you can't see which is which. Overhead signs, anyone? There has to be a better way.

Nov. 06 2012 10:59 AM
jean from manhattan

any chance this is real???

Nov. 06 2012 10:56 AM
MFan from Staten Island

I'm wondering if Sandy will actually greatly increase turnout. It's really ridiculous that election day is not a federal holiday. I would think that participation in our democracy is at least as important as getting a day off for George Washington's birthday! Anyway, maybe this is partially what the huge lines are about?

Nov. 06 2012 10:53 AM
The Truth from Bekcy

C'mon young people hang in there, you have stood in lines longer for the new iphone!! Broken machines aside, do NOT be discouraged, do not leave without voting!

Nov. 06 2012 10:53 AM
The Truth from Becky

Alicia hellooo??? See this is what I am talking about, First time voters should be educated on what else they need to do besides push the button for the Presidential candidate....oh Geez!

Nov. 06 2012 10:51 AM
C. Tennyson from Ridgewood, Queens

Why vote even though the electoral votes in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut aren't really in question? A few reasons:

1) Our whole form of government is premised on the consent of the governed. Voting is one way - NOT the only way, but an importent way - in which we make our wishes known and give our democratic consent.

2) We're not just voting for President today but for Senators, Representatives, and other "down ballot" candidates.

3) Yes, it's the electoral vote that finally elects a President but I don't think anyone wants our favored candidate to sneak by on a technical win. Mandate!

4) No, one vote doesn't make a difference. Except when it does.

5) C'mon, ya gotta vote.

I voted a little before 7:00 this morning in Ridgewood, Queens. There was momentary confusion over which table I should report to to get my ballot, but that was quickly resolved. The wait wasn't very long.

Four More Years!

Nov. 06 2012 10:49 AM
Penny from Downtown

Brian is driving me nuts as he repeated announces that New York State is uncontested. I spent high school and college in Western New York, and I can assure you all that upstate votes solidly Republican. If downstate votes are curtailed the state is certainly contested. Someone at the station please tell Brian to stop foolishly disenfranchising us. And I am a fan.

Nov. 06 2012 10:48 AM
Anna from Staten Island

Can you specify where the voting shuttle busses are picking up and dropping off?
My understanding is that they're only going from original polling places to replacement polling places.

Nov. 06 2012 10:48 AM
Amy from Manhattan

A lot of voters who don't have the right ID may not have time to go home & get it. I wonder if they can skip the line because they already waited the 1st time.

Nov. 06 2012 10:47 AM
J.J. from Bklyn

2 hour wait to vote in Carroll Gardens. I don't think so. Nice job by the Board of Elections keeping things efficient.
They move the location and all hell breaks loose. Ironically the polling place is in a BIGGER school.

I tried. Good luck Barry O.! I woulda voted for you again. Hope you can give us that "change" we voted for 4 years ago.

Nov. 06 2012 10:46 AM
bonne from East Village

When I was working in Kokomo, Ind. in 1968 during the primaries, people voted by asking the poll worker for a Democratic or Republican card. So many people who were registered Republican asked for a Democratic card at the cost of their neighbors knowing they had switched parties. Therefore, no secret ballot. This was a very big deal for those brave people. Is this still the way it is done in some states? (at least for primaries)

Nov. 06 2012 10:44 AM
ASHTON BARFIELD from ROOSEVELT ISLAND

WNYC -- I hope you're monitoring these comments, because I can't get through on the call-in line.
PLEASE remind Brian that presidential votes DO matter in the tri-state area, and in other non-swing states. It will be awful if the popular vote is different from the electoral vote. (Think of all the scenarios.)
PLEASE also alert all your other on-air staff about this issue.
Thanks!

Nov. 06 2012 10:43 AM
Michael from Ridgewood, Queens

Hello Brian,

Could you or one of your guests please explain how the poll workers are selected. Is there an attempt to have a political balance? What kind of training do they have? Why do we hear, year after year, about their incompetence?

Thanks.

Nov. 06 2012 10:42 AM
MFan from Staten Island

Just voted here on the north shore of SI, where there are still some without power, though we definitely missed the worst of it.

The line was short; a good amount of people, but lots of stations to move people through.

As for why bother voting here in NYC? Maybe in the other boroughs the local races aren't contested, but here they certainly are. Our Senator (Grimm) is being investigated by the FBI, has connections to the mob, and (just as scary) throws his hat in with the Tea Party and the rest of those nutjobs. Despite this, I wouldn't be surprised if he won, as the other guy doesn't have name recognition, and the south shore is still heavily republican. But let's hope. We need some change here on this Island!

Nov. 06 2012 10:40 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The board of elections is a joke. They literally just have to make sure things, including machines - go fairly smoothly, a few days, every other year and they can't even do that. Ridiculous.

Nov. 06 2012 10:36 AM
Michelle

Hey! My mom lives near North Woodmere and would be happy to pick up the man who has no way to the polls, if the caller hasn't been able to arrange something. I don't know the show's post-hurricane number or else I'd call, but Brian Lehrer people: please email me at michellerobinrosenberg@gmail.com and I'll put you/the caller in touch with my mom! Thanks!

Nov. 06 2012 10:36 AM
pliny from soho

is there a line at St Anthoneys ?

Nov. 06 2012 10:34 AM
Denise Galligan from Bridgewater, NJ

What is that reporter from Ohio talking about? There's been excessively long lines in Ohio and the Secy of State tried to block voting - in Demo precincts - where are you guys on this?

Nov. 06 2012 10:33 AM
Leo from Queens

What Beth Ferthig is reporting on 14th Street was also reported by a friend of mine in Washington Hts. - The 2 scanning machines are ALSO NOT WORKING. and people are hesitant about putting their ballots through a slot in a box...

Nov. 06 2012 10:33 AM
Albert from Manhattan

This is one great reason why there should be more pedicabs in dense urban areas, even in the outer boroughs —maybe *especially* in the outer boroughs. Whenever there's a lack of access to gasoline or electric power -- as well as under all normal circumstances -- cycling of any kind is the best way to transport people, supplies and help to everyone.

And shame on WNYC for not bringing it up until this woman happened to mention that she was cycling to her polling place. All you can talk about is gas prices, gas gouging, long gas lines and the God-forbid horror of HOV rules. You never once even suggested that able-bodied New Yorkers might, just possibly, use their legs to bicycle (or even walk) to work, to stores, to help people in need, during this crisis. You really fell down on the job.

Nov. 06 2012 10:33 AM
Amy from Manhattan

For Nina's father, are the vans one of the guests mentioned available in that area?

I've been getting emails from Common Cause on help for voters. Their own helpline for NY voters may not have service yet, but just in case, its 212 822 0282. The NYC Board of Elections Helpline is 212 VOTE NYC. I'm afraid I didn't catch Nina's location, so I'm not sure if this will help her father. The Common Cause email also mentions 311, which may exist in other areas. There's also a national Voter Protection Helpline, 866 OUR VOTE, which is also where people can report conditions at their polling site.

I hope he gets to vote!

Nov. 06 2012 10:31 AM
Beth from JACKSON HEIGHTS

NINA,

I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY FOR A CAR SERVICE TO TAKE YOUR DAD TO THE POLLS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED GIVE THE SHOW A CALL BACK.

ALL MY BEST,
BETH

Nov. 06 2012 10:30 AM
Dan Marrin from Sunset Park, Brooklyn

On a hopeful note, I live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, which is mostly Hispanic and Chinese these days. Sunset Park is known as Brooklyn's Chinatown, in fact. It was extraordinarily heartening to see the two elderly Chinese people working at the information table for Chinese residents at my polling place. I saw an elderly Chinese man and woman, patiently going over the paper ballot system with a Chinese voter.

I am so quick to assume that the native Chinese community in Sunset Park is mostly immigrant and not involved in these political issues. To see these people working hard to help other Chinese residents vote really gives me hope for the inclusiveness of our political system.

Nov. 06 2012 10:28 AM
The Truth from Becky

Do not be discouraged New York, New Jersey and surrounding areas, now is the time, this is a must do!! GO OUT AND VOTE TODAY!!

Nov. 06 2012 10:27 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Broken machines at ED 4 (Assembly District 70).

Nov. 06 2012 10:27 AM
Dorothy from Manhattan

Turnout in NJ and NY is not material in Electoral College counts. However, popular vote well might be an issue if Obama wins EC but not the popular vote. Legitimacy will be the issue. There is giant push for Republicans to get to the polls for this issue.

Nov. 06 2012 10:23 AM
Leo from Queens

Beautiful Story!. Voting is a matter of pride and giving people a voice!!

Nov. 06 2012 10:22 AM
Blythe from Middle Village (Qns), NY

I voted at 6:30AM in Middle Village. It was quick and easy, not too many people there yet. I believe I was the 24th person from the district to vote. Prefer to get it done nice and early rather than deal with the lines later this evening...

Nov. 06 2012 10:16 AM
Snoop from Bk

Brian,
I can't comment on the specifics regarding New Jersey's e-mail voting system, BUT, it is possible to have e-mail voting without compromising voter privacy, just as it is possible to have snail mail voting (often how absentee voting is done) without compromising voter privacy.

One easy way to do it would be to have all voters attach a document (that document would be the ballot) to an e-mail. One poll worker's job would be to open all the e-mails, detach the document (ballot) and place it in a file without opening it. A second poll worker's job would be to open the documents and print them or otherwise count them. This two step process would eliminate the connection between any individual vote and poll workers, maintaining the secret ballot.

Nov. 06 2012 10:12 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Sandy didn't disrupt my vote, but broken voting machines did: Apparently all voting machines at my poll site were down, and so our ballots couldn't be scanned. We were instead told to slide them through a slot into a box. At 7 AM, many people had showed up and all were concerned about the handling and counting of their votes. This caused long lines and several people left, saying they could not wait.

Nov. 06 2012 10:11 AM
Leo from Queens

Voted in Corona ED 21 - Waited online for about 15 minutes - Attendance was not bad.
I was #108 on the voting list at 8 AM.

The polling site had poor lighting and some of the staff, though accommodating, were a bit slow and disorganized. The site itself would not pass a DOB electrical inspection though...

Nov. 06 2012 10:08 AM
RJ from prospect hts

Please don't forget the approximately 50% who routinely do not vote, who are apathetic and/or have given up on the function or structure of the US, on the true value of voting. How do they see what the "true value" of voting should be?

Nov. 06 2012 10:07 AM

Turnout high on WS. Voted in ED 54 approx 8:15AM - 20 minutes on line. I was in the 90s of the ED count & in the 570s on the scanner I used. Turnout high in ED 55, less in ED 68. Saw line waiting to get into polls for EDs 58 & 65.

Nov. 06 2012 09:38 AM