Snapshot | Red Hook After Sandy

Friday, November 02, 2012

Residents of Red Hook, Brooklyn, carry food and water distributed by the National Guard passed piles of debris, Friday. Residents of Red Hook, Brooklyn, carry food and water distributed by the National Guard passed piles of debris, Friday. (Amy Pearl/WNYC)

As power returned to much of the region, many of the residents of Red Hook, Brooklyn, remained in the dark Friday without heat or hot water.

WNYC's Amy Pearl visited this hard hit area of Brooklyn to see how residents are coping in the aftermath

Michale, 10, waiting on line for food for his family in Red Hook. "My mom is with my brother. We have no power. We need school, I guess it will start next week."

Here's Michael with his mom after picking up food at a distribution center at Cofey Park in Red Hook on Friday. "This is very helpful," his mom said.

Members of the National Guard unload food and water at Cofey Park in Red Hook.

Claresa Ward waited for food and water being distributed in Red Hook. Ward works at Ikea and they are putting her and her three kids up in a hotel "for as long as I need."

Peter Molino in Red Hook: "I live- lived in the basement on Pioneer St. but I'm staying at my girlfriend's sister's now. I'm here to pick up some food to get through the day. I work on commission, I'm a tattoo artist and where I work has no power so that means no work for me. I thought I put things high enough, but when I came back to look, the water line was above my head. My girlfriend just got off the phone with the FEMA guy. We applied Tuesday and he was supposed to come today by 11. He said he is coming but he gave up on the train and he is walking here from Marcy [Projects]."

Shirley Melendez lives on Columbia St. and tried to wait out the storm. "I live on Columbia. When I saw the water coming up it scared the hoops out of me! We have no heat, no power. When I got to my mom's at the Wycoff Projects, it felt like the Hyatt with that hot shower! I have a generator and I want to stay here but I don't know where to get gas," she said.

A Dept. of Sanitation vehicle moves debris near Cofey Park in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

Workers at Fairway on the waterfront in Red Hook continue to clear away spoiled food and ruined equipment.

Phil, 13 and Ant, 10, at the American Quick Stop in Red Hook. Phil: "We have no gas, just diesel. We hope to get a gas delivery on Monday or Tuesday. We live in Staten Island but our house is okay."

No gas (just diesel) at the American Quick Stop on Van Brunt in Red Hook.

Ricardo and Shane work in the kitchen at The Good Fork in Red Hook. Shane said, "We moved all our food out ahead of time so we are lucky. We just have to clean up. I biked in from Crown Heights. A bike is the best way to get around right now. Neighbors have been coming by all day, asking if they can help clean up."

Donations for the Red Hook Houses which are without power and running water, begin to pile up at PS 32, on Hoyt Street. The relief is being organized by a parent group at the school.

How to help in Red Hook

Red Hook Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the Brooklyn neighborhood.

The Red Hook Initiative is collecting toilet paper, water, candles, food, flashlights, cell phone chargers, batteries, paper towels, and paper for printers.

Tags:

More in:

maranda from Redhook

Thanks For Helpinq Our Commuity I Would Like To Take A Pics Bhut Thanks For All The Stuff Yall Came And Do !!

Mar. 08 2013 12:10 PM
Athena

I live in Red Hook East and I was without power, heat, no elevator, or hot water from 10/29 at 8:04 PM Until 11/11. We were told by NYCHa staff and the news that we will be credit for the days we were without essential services in our January rent statement. Today I went on the NYCHA website to get an update on the credit and I found here that not every building in my development will be given this credit in fact they chose certain buildings for this credit and there is a list of the buildings that will be given this credit on there page and my building is not on there. We were all affected by hurricane sandy.

Dec. 12 2012 10:24 AM
Buffy from Red Hook

A spiritual lift is also helpful in coping post-Sandy. This Thursday there will be a SPECIAL TALK FOR THE RED HOOK COMMUNITY by Fujiko Signs, who experienced the Japanese taunami. She is also an international speaker, spiritual teacher and healer and will share the powerful, comforting Bible truths, discovered in Christian Science, which brought healing and hope to many after the Japanese tsunami.
THURSDAY, NOV. 29TH 6-7 PM
MICCIO CENTER 110 W 9TH ST, Brooklyn

Nov. 26 2012 12:46 PM
Alice

My Daughter, was never so happy to return to her little apartment in the Red Hook Projects. She had fled when told to do so . She stayed at a friends house bought food and clothing because they banged on er door and hurried her out. She lost all her groceries, spent what little she had on gas to get back and throw out what she had in the refrigerator. Now she comes home to freeze and more clothes to keep her and her daughter warm. FEMA says she don't qualify for nothing. She has to make sure though that the rich Tenants where she works at are warm and cozy if not she'll get fired! She lives in Red Hook Houses.

Nov. 15 2012 04:24 PM
Alice

The city should organize trucks of city water, however Bottles of water are better than no water at all!One bottle of water goes along waaaay!

Nov. 05 2012 09:40 AM
Steve Giovinco from New York, NY

Many contemporary artists that live and work in Red Hook--and their art that they produce--are greatly impacted. Its a shame, especially with art being damaged because its not usually replaceable.

Nov. 04 2012 06:42 PM
Dan from Brooklyn

Coming from Brooklyn Heights to Redhook (10 minutes on a bike) was a bigger contrast than I expected. People have been without water and power since Monday, some in apartments above ten stories. Lower floors smell of sewage. There are gas leaks no one seems to notice. And many residents are without the means and resources to find decent accomodations elsewhere. It felt good to donate and volunteer, but it felt even better to work alongside the residents of this proud neighborhood as they work to pull their community back together and clean up the mess left by Sandy. Redhook, you go hard!

Nov. 03 2012 11:11 PM
Fred from Brooklyn

I just got back from helping out in Red Hook. The out-pour of help is amazing, but more is needed. To help with clean-up go to 402 Van Brunt Street. Non-perishable food to 110 9th Street. Other donations to The Red Hook Alliance 767 Hicks Street.

Nov. 03 2012 05:31 PM
Elaine from brooklyn

Coffey is spelled with two "f"'s

Nov. 03 2012 05:25 PM
Antonia Martinelli from Carroll Gardens

I am wondering why the city isn't organizing trucks of city water for these neighborhoods where there is still no water. People can fill up and bring it home. I think individuals donating bottles of water to hand out is perhaps the least efficient way to deal with this.

Nov. 03 2012 05:10 PM