Opinion: Marathon Cancelled, but Damage to Bloomberg's Rep is Done

Friday, November 02, 2012

That it took until 5 p.m. Friday to cancel the marathon is an insult.

There were three New Yorks, Derek Thompson noted in The Atlantic days after the hurricane hit. There was the one underwater, the one dry with no power and the one that was barely affected.

I'm lucky to live in the last one.

My hardships have consisted of long lines at the supermarket and having to go pick up a pizza as they wouldn't deliver it. The horror, I know.

Mayor Bloomberg was lucky to live in the last one too.

My family and friends have not been so lucky. My in-laws house in Woodmere, Long Island, flooded and then caught fire. They waited outside during the storm for three hours for the fire department. They're staying with friends who also still have no power. I have friends in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn, who have lost their homes. My Facebook has been filled for days with people wondering where to get diapers or formula for their children, sharing stories of burglaries, looting, scams involving men coming to their doors in fake uniforms, utter destruction of home and property, fear of the future, gratefulness at survival.

Let me tell you a story about a group of buildings in Brooklyn called Amalgamated Warbasse Houses. It's a series of 15 Mitchell-lama buildings in Coney Island. There is a high concentration of elderly people in the Warbasse buildings, many of them of Russian descent, as I am. The buildings are 20 stories high each.

If you look up the Warbasse in the news from the last few days, you won't find any mention of it. But it is in dire straits. In addition to no power, they also have no gas. It's one thing not to have heat, another to not be able to make any food. Elderly people are trapped on the high floors with no way to get out.

Here's a comment from a Warbasse resident on a Russian parents board who, along with his wife and two children, is currently homeless: "Approximately 350-650 seniors trapped in my buildings in Coney Island Warbasse, rumors of National Guard coming to enforce evacuation...Broken gas line, no heat, no power, no hot water, animals with no place to go, no incinerator to throw trash, so people throw out the windows and in the halls, rats and roaches here!!! You declare a mandatory evacuation but shelters are full, and there is no gas for cars anywhere. DOT won't allow people to cross bridges and tunnel, buses too full, no trains."

If Warbasse Houses were on the Upper East Side, your friends in Texas, Sweden and Fiji would have heard about it by now. It is nothing short of a disaster area. If you live in 2 out of the 3 New Yorks your life may have been inconvenienced in the last few days. I'm a new business owner and being closed for several days hurt us. But because we're in the relatively unaffected third New York, we've bounced back. Warbasse is nowhere near bouncing back. I don't know when it will or if it will. If Warbasse Houses were on the Upper East Side, our mayor would not even consider letting the marathon go on.

Which brings me to the offensiveness that was the insistence by the mayor that the marathon continue this Sunday.

His comment on Friday was, "Rudy had it right, you have to keep going and doing things...you can grieve & cry & laugh all at same time."

I'm not against people living their lives just because other people remain in a state of trauma. Go watch the Giants game at the stadium in New Jersey. Go see a Broadway show. I would have supported the Village Halloween parade proceeding as planned, if we had the manpower for it. I get it: life goes on.

But to have 40,000 people run through boroughs which are still suffering, still flooded, still destroyed, still without power was just unconscionable. The pictures of the generators ready to heat the tents of the runners in Central Park can, and should, be used in places like Warbasse Housing.

I'm a natural-born-Capitalist. I want everyone to make money. I understand the argument about lost revenue, but in the wake of the destruction that has been Hurricane Sandy this argument makes no sense.

The hotels that would have been losing money if the marathon was canceled are filled with victims of the Sandy. Should we have put them out to host 40,000 out-of-town runners?

The businesses that would have been supported by the visiting marathoners are in areas that are already up and running. If you look at the map the runners will follow, their only real opportunity to support businesses along the route is north of 59th street on First Avenue (as opposed to on the highway in Brooklyn or the bridge in Staten Island). That area has had power the whole time and has had an influx of people from the areas without power supporting these businesses, since they are the only ones open. The businesses which have been truly hurt will go untouched by the runners as they still don't have power (and when they do they will likely not operate at full capacity on day one).

We are New Yorkers—all three New Yorks—and we stood as one to oppose this marathon. I'm proud of us, but I remain disgusted by our mayor and ashamed that I ever voted for him. He has lived in his version of the third New York his whole life and never has that been more evident than in his response to the marathon. If he knew someone at Warbasse, it would have been a very different last few days.

Tags:

More in:

Boris from Brighton Beach

All true, this administration has long treated this neighborhood as A RED HEADED STEP CHILD. Two years before Sandy, the MTA took away the X-29 Express Bus which had served this community for 40 years. The X-29 Express Bus was the ONLY way for residents of Trump Village and Warbasse to get to Manhattan without having to climb the 4 flights of pigeon feces infested and homeless ridden staircases of the Q subway line.

Hopefully, things will chage for the better after next January.

Jul. 03 2013 02:20 PM
Sara Farley

I am from that second New York, dry without power. (however we were underwater at some point) Although my house, in particular, is safe, I have many loved ones that were greatly affected by the devastation of the storm. I travelled around the island and saw houses flooded, displaced from their foundation and completely collapsed. The levels of disaster varied by neighborhood but everyone was affected in some way. My family was lucky enough to escape with a only a weeklong power outage. Not being able to use our phones and internet were minor issues in comparison to so many of our friends that lost everything. When I heard that Mayor Bloomberg was still planning on holding the marathon, I was appalled. I understood the need for financial revenue to help recover from the storm. There were many other effective ways to generate funds than to insensitively bring 40,000 foreigners into a state of devastation and emergency. Clearly the runners who were persistent did not understand the level of the damage. Driving around my neighborhood, I saw stores and homes without power, 200 car gas lines and people with no place to go. This condition of limited resources does not call for extra people. The resources that we have could be used to help those in need. Bloomberg should be ashamed for even entertaining the idea of taking resources from those who needed them after losing everything.

Dec. 07 2012 03:26 AM
Paul J. Bosco from Manhattan

I've never voted for Bloomberg and some of the time I don't like him. I would have liked the marathon to have been held. As a city, we've lost so much to this natural disaster. The marathon is important to NYC, and it was something we didn't have to lose.

If the cancelation caused resources to be devoted to those hardest hit, then there is a case for it. I doubt that was the case. If the cancelation made the worst victims feel more important for a little while, then it was the wrong call.

Dealing with Sandy, now and for many months to come, will proceed most efficaciously if rigorous cost-benefit analyses are pursued. There are ways to remain politically sensitive, but it's very possible for that sensitivity to become counterproductive.

--Paul J. Bosco
Avenue B (Loisaida)
Six days w/o power, at home and at my store; not complaining.

Nov. 05 2012 07:16 PM
la muzz from East Village

... karol, i hope you will come to realize that it is not possible for the frail, elderly and sick to become capitalists.
...occupy is stepping up to the plate as are myriad community organizations, russian (and other) churches,getting the word out helps all to come together to help the people you describe and everyone else who needs it.
...word is just starting to get out about a lot of places, not just there.
...and finally, i hope this will open your eyes to the need for community and government support, and hope you will not become your generation's ayn rand.
peace!

Nov. 05 2012 10:09 AM
Serge from Dubai

Hurricane Politics once again - just like any other natural disaster! Before I get into my "spread the word" i would like to support the cause of this chain letter 100%. Help the elderlies first irrespective if they healed the evacuation notices or not. The shelters are full anyways and medical care is never available to the extend needed.

Let the facts be known. Each Hurricane or large natural disaster empowers rival political groups to use the event to gain power. In Florida during almost every hurricane season, opposition political parties hold "secret meetings" before each hurricane just to record what the Town Mayor, the State Governor and even the President are doing to retrospectively criticize and chastise the people in power. Let's keep the facts straight. Resources like Police and Fire Departments are dispatched pursuant to Zip codes. More exclusive neighborhoods produce more tax income, hence have more police and fire personnel than less tax revenue producing areas. That's a fact. Call 911 in a exclusive neighborhood and you have a 5-7 min response time. Cal 911 in a less income urban area and you wait 45-90min. That is life!

However, take the opportunity and take advantage of the free things that are offered to you during natural disaster, why ...??? Because you will pay everything back three fold in a few months time. Your property taxes will go up, Electric and gas bills will go up and there will be a an increase on any local tolls if available. And, you will hear everyone cry about the horrible job the Mayor, the Governor and the President did.

My personal experiences on these issues date back to 1992 when Hurricane Andrews hit Florida and every storm thereafter. Come-on NY - you are strong and know what to do. Best of luck to everyone and my deepest condoles to any hardship people suffered and all the stranded animals.

Nov. 05 2012 06:44 AM

Hizzoner is ONLY connected with his network of business people and celebrities. He makes decisions from an ivory tower and money colored glasses with no REAL understanding of what his millions of new yorkers are dealing with. First days after Sandy (Bloomberg seen how many times touring NYC?? compared to Christie seen how many times touring Jersey) no visible signs of Bloomberg on NYC (which includes Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) streets FEELING Sandy's impact firsthand and HEARING hizzoner's constituents firsthand. Bottomline: Bloomberg is a Business Person not a Public Servant. Bloomberg has not shown his eagerness/willingness/dedication to Roll up his sleeves (unlike Giuliani post-9/11, Christie & Mayor Booker post-Sandy)... The head of the Road Runners (part of Hizzoner's inner network) should be ashamed of entertaining the thought of marathoners running thru the still 'fresh' sites of Sandy's victims, survivors and destruction while people and communities are just beginning to grieve, look for shelter, look for food and in need of major assistance. Post-9/11 marathon was about 1 area within 1 borough and several weeks to prepare!! Post-Sandy is about multiple areas within multiple boroughs and LESS THAN 1 WEEK!! NY State must pass law mandating all gas stations have working back-up generators. Follow Christie and pass law fining Utilities $10,000 per day (the make profits, but they are not held accountable to get customers electricity back expediently) until 100% of their customers are restored. Finally...make your local elected politicians hear us (Vote, email, ...).

Nov. 04 2012 03:52 PM
Reality Checker from Galaxy iPhone New York City

@Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey
Hi Jack, I want to avoid a back and forth here...but take what you said:
"The seven weeks between 9/11 and the Marathon was enough time for the area to catch its breath..."

Families in our hard stricken region weren't fully recovered from 9-11 years after that event. Some remains were NEVER recovered, people never got have a proper burial site, for heaven's sakes.
All you are saying sir, is that YOU personally, calmed down 7 weeks after 9-11-2001.
But many never did, to THIS DATE!

9-11 was not Sandy, 9-11 was a human CALAMITY, this hurricane was tragic and displaced thousands, but thankfully, fortunately, the loss of life was NO WHERE near the thousand who died on 9-11.
HUNDREDS of whom were FDNY/NYPD first responders who ran into brining towers never to be seen or heard of again. This City of ours, this resilient, strong city ran the marathon in 2001!
Bin laden lost that fight, even as funerals were being held n this city on daily basis for the bodies that were being pulled from the still smoking ground zero. Imagine that Jack!

Now thousands of people are DISPLACED and made very very (very very) uncomfortable, and the ENTIRE city LOSES the marathon and the REVENUE. If these galaxy/iPhone people got anywhere near governing this city, it would run out of money in mere weeks.

This city takes money - period!
I should know, live here and I pay through the nose to live here on a meagre salary.

Bloomberg is not my favorite guy in the world, but when he's right - damn it, he's right!

Nov. 04 2012 11:12 AM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

@Reality Checker from Selfish New York City

The seven weeks between 9/11 and the Marathon was enough time for the area to catch its breath. As bad as it was, the damage of the attack was to a limited geographic area and our nerves. Do you think Rudy would have held the Marathon if it had occurred that next Sunday? Do you really?

The Mayor should have announced the cancellation or postponement BEFORE Sandy hit us. Then the participants can make up their own minds about coming here anyway to help out. By giving the 'Thumbs Up' and then canceling, Bloomberg has created ill will toward NYC where there need not (and should not)have been any. To the Runners - Don't blame NY, blame the bureaucracy.

Time to get back to clean up.

Nov. 04 2012 10:40 AM
Reality Checker from Selfish New York City

On any given day, there are people suffering of Homelessness, hunger, murder, theft...if this city could hold the marathon after 9-11, why not now?

Just think what that reveals about the DISCONNECT between the NYPD and FDNY who took the biggest hit on 9-11 and a bunch of displaced people who cried when they couldn't charge their luxury Galaxy phones.

This city has a bunch of Unsung heros, servants who died on September 11th 2001. The city didn't so much as BAT AN EYE! Now, non-FDNY and non-NYPD people are made uncomfortable and we're supposed to lose REVENUE for the city and lose a marathon.

On any given day, police officers die, get shot, put themselves in harms way...No one would think of canceling the Marathon for their family's loss - we don't care when Police/Fire Rescuers get killed or lose a limb, or made uncomfortable they can't charge their phones.

This only makes New Yorkers appear more small-minded and selfish. I am heartened by the acts of non-selfishness by these runner-volunteers. Obviously, these non New Yorker runner-Volunteers.

Nov. 04 2012 10:16 AM
VF from New York, NY

Thousands and thousands of marathoners got on planes to NY Friday morning with mixed feelings and unanswered questions. By the time they landed, their questions were answered for them. Now, they are now volunteering in Red Hook, volunteering in Staten Island, volunteering all over the city. They have taken the disappointment of their broken dreams and turned it into sincere efforts to restore the dreams of others. I hope that the author and the commenters of this piece will appropriately turn their scorn into appreciation.

Nov. 04 2012 07:57 AM
Marcia

My mother (85 years old) and brother live in Warbasse - they are safely living with my sister and brother-in-law now. People have been asking why these people did not evacuate in the first place, so I would like to explain. Many of these people are elderly and have medical conditions. They would not have been able to manage in a shelter. My mother, for example, cannot get in and out of a normal bed. She sleeps in a hospital bed that must be raised and lowered. She has trouble walking to the bathroom. She has to sleep with a potty by the bed. Before she was able to escape to live with my sister, my sister had to buy a new hospital bed ad potty for her. Most of the time, my mother she is wheelchair bound. There are people who, unlike my mother, have more serious medical conditions. They have heart problems and lung problems. How would these people have been able to manage in a shelter? In addition, public transportation was stopped. Many residents do not own cars or cannot drive. How were they supposed to get to shelters in the first place? Oh yes, and how do people in wheelchairs get out of the building when there is no elevator service? The local hospital was flooded and evacuated, by the way.

Nov. 04 2012 05:51 AM
Leo J from Brooklyn

Foolishness. This mayor doesn't answer to special interests, he tries to figure out what's best for the city. Initially he thought it would be uplifting to have people coming to NYC in spite of nature's onslaught; the money to small businesses would have also helped those who are suffering. But louder voices convinced the media that it was more important to focus myopically on the power outages and flooded homes contiuously than to take a few hours off for what actually have been healthier for the city in the long run--pun intended. No one dismisses the suffering--my family is out of its house in Brooklyn and without power--but I would have felt better about us as a city if we had given Sandy the finger and gone out to the streets to cheer the runners.

Nov. 04 2012 12:13 AM
Iggy from Mpls

How about those silly phonetic spanish announcements too. What an idiot.

Nov. 03 2012 11:55 PM
James from The eye of the storm

I agree as well, it would be stupid and irresponsible to have paramedics and police help run a marathon. When there are people in need, like now those resources should be the first priority. Business is business but I think the lives and safety of New Yorkers must come first in a situation like this. If the marathon is so important, I'm sure they would be able to postpone it like many other events have when a natural disaster occurred.

Nov. 03 2012 11:53 PM
Jake from Brooklyn

Here is more info on Warbasse that fills in the blanks on what happened & why this is a mess.

Nov. 03 2012 08:21 PM
manet from nyc

bloomberg's number one agenda is money $$$$.
He does what he does for $$$$$.
The marathon was supposed to bring in $$$$$ for the city - so he pushed for it. He isn't a cruel man, he isn't an insensitive man, he isn't an indifferent man - he is a money making man.

I think it's too easy to attack him for wanting the marathon. this city has massive debts, pensions, infrastructure...this city just lost billions in $$$$$ from the storm - believe it or not, now is the time to run the marathon.
It's time to run 10 marathons - DAILY!
The city needs $$$$$$ and blommberg knows how to make it for the city, he's a business man - after all.

Full disclosure - I volunteered and voted for Thompson. I haven't vote for Bloomberg since 2001.

Nov. 03 2012 06:50 PM
teapartydoc

Great article.

Nov. 03 2012 05:47 PM
bflat879

I can't believe the citizens of New York keep voting this guy in. If they wanted to do something creative, on Tuesday, have a write-in campaign for Guiliani and vote Nanny out of office.

Nov. 03 2012 05:10 PM
scf

I'm lost regarding how anybody such as the author could have ever voted for Bloomberg. He has been an insular and useless excuse for a mayor since his election. Yet it takes a natural disaster for someone like the author to notice.

Nov. 03 2012 04:37 PM
Alan K. Henderson from Irving, Texas

Benghazi: Presidential neglect during the onslaught.

Staten Island: Mayoral neglect after the onslaught.

Bloomberg endorses Obama. Surprised?

Nov. 03 2012 04:07 PM
Deserttrek from socal

bloomberg has a good rep? where? from the first day i saw this sawed off tyrant it was obvious his ego was gigantic. he is an f'n mayor, not an emperor. the people of new york get what they deserve for electing him once twice and then changing the law for a third. in a real world he would be tarred and feathered and run out of town long before this.

Nov. 03 2012 04:05 PM
Jenny from USA

While NYC suffers, Obama attends a fundraiser in Las Vegas. File this under 'If Bush had done it....'

Nov. 03 2012 03:12 PM
mark l. from southeast, usa

bloomberg wanting to be the next guilliani, with his own 9/11...

the number of people directly affected by 9/11 is a fraction compared to this. the rxn to 9/11 was to show our attackers that they couldn't change our way of life.

bloomberg fighting back against a storm? don quixote chasing a windmill.

it is all about his quest for 'personal glory'. the last choice for someone to run a relief effort.

Nov. 03 2012 03:04 PM
Lana Cheng from Queens, NYC

Thank you for your wonderful article, Karol! Bloomberg never got my vote because he is an insensitive elitist who cares more for business people than the general citizenry. I can't wait to see him leave office and to not ever hear his whiny voice again! The "Emperor" must go!!!

Nov. 03 2012 02:57 PM

Karol, you are 100% right on this. I wonder if it will lead you to perhaps reconsider some of your other political endorsements.

Nov. 03 2012 02:49 PM
Mindy from San Francisco

Karol, thank you for writing about the situation in Warbasse. I am so dismayed that nothing is happening, that the building management is awol, and emergency services are nowhere to be seen. They should be knocking on doors, finding out who needs help, bringing food and water. I am lucky, my brother is with my 91-year-old mom in one of the Warbasse buildings and he is able to walk the 16 flights every day to bring water. But most of the seniors trapped in Warbasse are not so lucky.

Nov. 03 2012 01:43 PM
Steve from Ohio

Great article, Karol. Thanks for sharing this information. I am not impressed with the response. Bloomberg and the WH administration should have learned the lessons of Katrina.

Nov. 03 2012 01:28 PM
mxx from Warbasse

Please correct your statement about lack of gas in Warbasse. We do have gas. On Tuesday National Grid workers fixed a leak that was happening OUTSIDE. They turned off gas for about 30 minutes. Otherwise all 5 buildings have and had gas all the time. At no point did national guard were going to be called in to evict people!
Yes,there is still no power, cold water is supposed to be turned on later today. But please don't make this situation worse by spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt!

Nov. 03 2012 12:42 PM
derfallbright from Florida

For some reason the conditions in some parts of NYC seem to be far more serious than they appear on the'small screen' of TV.

It seems like the 101st Airborne needs move into Staten Island and set up warm sleeping tents, food tents and lots of security.

Video teams need to move in and photo/video everything street by street for future insurance claims teams and set up video files so actual insurance inspectors do not need to visit the site to start the claims process.

Piles of trash and destroyed household goods need to be hauled off soon or it will become a home for rats and disease.

People who rent should possibly be given a Federal disaster award and told to get on with their lives.

Families with kids in schools need to get paid off and move to someplace to start a new life.

Nov. 03 2012 12:32 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

Hey, Karol!

Where the FoxNews coverage of the Hurricane damage and NYC recovery AT?!?

Nov. 03 2012 12:15 PM
Tom Elliott

Bloomberg on Brooklyn plea for National Guard: “The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns.”

Nov. 03 2012 11:49 AM
Irina from Brooklyn

My parents and 86yo grandmother live in Warbasse. We had to get them out (carry grandma out on our backs) from 20th floor yesterday after volunteers let us know there will be no power or water for a month. The buildings are completely abandoned. Where is the management? Where are the security guards that are being paid salaries to patrol the buildings. I've been there several times in the last 2 days to pack some personal belongings and the place is like a ghost town. Not even one generator in the lobby to have some kind of light. For the monthly maintenance fee that people are paying (over a thousand dollars for a 2brm apt) the management company of the building should have resources in the emergency to help, but they just ran, disappeared. Why are the volunteers and not the security guards walking around notifying people and provide information? It's an outrage.

Nov. 03 2012 11:22 AM

Karol -

Welcome back. Your best piece yet in my opinion.

I can understand Michael Bloomberg's desire to 'Put on the Show!' and use some of that spectacle to help recover New York's spirit but this one was definitely 'a bridge too far' and the decision to cancel it probably could have been made on Monday night and should have. Deciding to go forward was more an instance of wishful thinking than rational decision-making. He probably needs to look at his staff's propensity to tell him 'Yes' over telling the truth.

As for your "3 New York's" metaphor, it can ironically be extended to our country as a whole. Since 1968, the purchasing power of an hour of American labor has fallen in real terms such that the minimum wage earner from that year ($3,000/yr) could command more goods and services from the existing economy than the AVERAGE worker ($42,000) can today -- about 20% more goods and services in real terms. Wages have moved with inflation - more or less - yet the overall economy has grown at two percentage points above that. The effect of 40 years of wages trailing the growth in the economy has been the real stressor on the middle class and I think we should all contemplate what happens if we don't reverse that trend.

Nov. 03 2012 10:43 AM
sean from new york

$360 Million for NYC/relief fund is now lost because people cried that it should've been cancelled. Bruce played his concert and used police resources etc.- no outcries, just money raised.

Nov. 03 2012 10:25 AM
klee

Damage to his rep? Are all your decision perfectly right? Live to his age and (hopefully) realize the mistakes you make along the years. Bloomberg has made other drastic mistakes during his terms, but see each decision for what it is.

Nov. 03 2012 09:49 AM
Fran Feldman

I agree with the author and Marina although the math was a bit off (it is 5 buildings, 23 stories, 3 sections each with 7 apartments on a floor). It is still over 2000 apartments in two blocks. They have their own power plant so Con Ed can't help them get power back up.

I grew up in Warbasse. My family was one of the first to move in in 1964 when I was a baby. At the time, the buildings were overwhelmingly Jewish and middle class. These families never left. My mother moved out in the spring at 79 to go to a nearby nursing home. Her friends all still live there.

Those with families who could get them, did get them, carrying them down the stairs in many cases. Those that remain are truly in dire straits. No food. No water. No electricity. No heat. Nowhere to go.

Shelters are full. Hospitals are evacuated in the area (Coney Island Hospital). The nursing homes are full or had partial evacuations of their own.

There is a group of volunteers trying to help. Please visit their facebook page -- www.facebook.com/cleaningSheepshead -- The Group is called Clean Up Sheepshead Bay. They went door to door Thursday and Friday trying to help. FEMA is supplying some food now but needs help with delivering them to the top floors.

Those that did leave are scared to. Scared about their homes and properties and worried about looting. There are some reports of the national guard patrolling from sundown to sunrise but there are no official reports about what is being done.

This is a prime example of areas that haven't been covered. Another is the neighboring community of Gerristen Beach that is on the pennisula and was not in an evacuation zone but should of been. The neighborhood is in horrible shape and all cars are flooded.

New York City is a city of five boroughs and all of them have areas like this and all need the attention.

Thank you for writing this story. I hope it is the first of many and brings answers and, most importantly, assistance to our friends and neighbors.

Nov. 03 2012 08:33 AM
ncrjobseo from noida

Jobs in India - Free Job Posting Site, Fresher Jobs, Latest Jobs

NCR-Jobs.com provides Free Job Posting Services for the Employers and Job seekers to post and search jobs all over the India Delhi NCR. Delhi NCR Provides Job Posting for the Employers and Job seekers to post and search jobs in all over India.

Keywords:-

Latest Jobs, Fresher Jobs, Jobs in India, Free job posting Site, Delhi Jobs for fresher, Delhi Jobs IT, Delhi Jobs Marketing, Ghaziabad Jobs Freshers, Ghaziabad Jobs IT, Ghaziabad jobs Marketing, Noida Jobs for fresher, Noida Jobs IT, Noida Jobs Marketing

Brainguru Technologies Pvt Ltd.
C -17, First Floor
Sector - 2, Noida
Call Us: +91-8010010000, 0120-4299500
Email us: info@brainguru.in

Nov. 03 2012 01:33 AM
Jan Wolfert from So CA (formerly Brooklyn)

My mom is one of the seniors who lives in Warbasse. Luckily, one of her neighbors was looking out for her and insisted that she get out of the building and stay at a relative's house temporarily. She is now staying at a friend's apartment in Trump Village, down the street from Warbasse.

I must say that I am REALLY concerned about the health of the seniors who are still in their apartments. No water, lights, heat, communications with the outside world since Sunday evening. And now they are expected to walk down as many as 23 flights of stairs to escape the building. This is absolutely awful.

I was told today that ambulances kept appearing in front of two of the buildings. You can guess at what that means. They need help now, not next week.

Nov. 02 2012 09:36 PM
Marina

Here is the other I wanted to call out: John Lisyanskiy, a City Council staffer organized a group through Facebook to enter the private complex and canvass the buildings.

Nov. 02 2012 08:51 PM
Marina

Karol, I want to thank you for this. I am not a New Yorker by blood, I'm your next door neighbor and am one of the few lucky enough to be in 2 of the 3 different New Jerseys that the storm has left behind. My New Jersey has no power and no heat, but it's standing; for this I am overly blessed and thankful.

Hal, many of the people in Warbasse are elderly and disabled, without power, without a place to go, without help, they are completely displaced. I'd like to call out the immense support of the community support groups that have independently served to volunteer assisting the people left behind in those buildings. Climbing the stairs to help evacuate people, provide food and water and check on the inhabitants was completely left at the mercy of anyone who would do it...and they did. The community pulled together and have been doing whatever possible to help. Thank you...you are all nothing short of a miracle. From what I can tell these are the efforts of many, but here is one organization in particular: http://cojeco.org/how-you-can-help/cojeco-hurricane-sandy-relief/.

Nov. 02 2012 08:49 PM
Hal

Agree 100 percent on the marathon point. Feels horrible for the people at warbasse and they should definitely be getting help and coverage in the media, but...that whole area was in zone a. Why didn't they evacuate when they were told too?

Nov. 02 2012 08:28 PM