Your Sandy Stories: What Are You Learning About Your Community?

Friday, November 02, 2012

This past weekend, WNYC gathered your stories as we recover from the effects of Hurricane Sandy.

What are you learning about your community?

We wanted to hear how your community reacted to Sandy, and how it’s dealing with the aftermath. Was there a particular person who rose to the occasion? Something you are learning about your state, city, workplace or family during the crisis?

Here are some of your responses.

+ Dennis from Sheepshead Bay on NYC Auxiliary Policy

+ Cindy from Long Beach

+ Mary from Porchester

+ Sarah from New Rochelle

+ Vladimir from New Jersey

+ The Rockaways Come Together

+ Justin on Music Community

Tags:

More in:

Miriam from Teaneck, NJ

On Black Friday, instead of shopping (or in addition to)perhaps some families would like to volunteer helping Sandy's victims. Any suggestions?

Nov. 19 2012 12:05 PM
Bonn from East Village

During the four days of no power in the East Village, thank goodness for my old Walkman (running on one AA battery) and WNYC's expanded coverage, which kept me well informed and sane. It was a port in the storm, as I listened while walking through the deserted downtown streets and well lit uptown streets, at night by candlelight and the first thing in the morning. In fact, most of the day (all on that one battery, folks. Think very low tech. My neighbors stopped by (the ones still in the building) to use my working landline, on which I could receive and make phone calls.

I was out in the Rockaways this Sunday with NYCares, a wonderful organization. The Red Cross had a small truck there, too, in the same mall parking lot. They gave out hot meals but couldn't handle the pushing crowds when they tried to hand out blankets (very beautiful, by the way). NYCares offered to take over that operation, and they brought all their blankets over to our food/clothing set-up with enough volunteers and a very well organized line-up of people. The Red Cross worker admitted she was overwhelmed and unprepared.

Nov. 12 2012 10:24 AM
ElizaBeth Cronk from Jersey Shore

please pass this along if you know someone in need- the stories will come later
Can someone please announce that a group of Pet Groomers will be descending on Belmar Beach to give free pet grooms - bath and blow out for victims and shelter residence
- We will also have donations pet supplies to distribute for locals in need.
We will be doing this again in Tom's River and Manahawkin/ Barneget Nov 17th and 18th
Our facebook page is
Groomers Needing Assistance After Hurricane Sandy

Sunday Nov 11, 2012
11am-????
Piano Plaza - 921 Main Street - 9th Avenue & Main St.
Belmar Beach NJ

Nov. 09 2012 08:23 AM
Connie from Brooklyn

I'd like to thank WNYC for its terrific coverage. WNYC does a wonderful job of reaching out to listeners across the region and helping us understand the impact of Sandy. A huge shout out to Brian Lehrer for his steady and sympathetic ear and to the rest of the team for reporting at all times and from all neighborhoods.
"Never turn it off" applies to much more than WNYC's election coverage.

Nov. 05 2012 05:32 PM
SB

I really hope you're currently flooded with emails and phone calls due to Bloomberg's decision to send so many students and teachers into buildings unfit not only for learning, but for merely receiving us safely! I do not believe that we are the only school effected by this decision! Our students are being asked to spend the entire day in a building WITHOUT heat where temperatures today were barely around 40 degrees. Please tell me WHY this is a good idea??!

Nov. 04 2012 10:24 PM
Nancy from Northern Manhattan

WNYC is always on in our apartment. This week, I am grateful to Brian Lehrer and Amy Eddings for their thoughtful and knowledgeable coverage and their gracious tone with so many callers and guests. At one point during last week, Brian expressed what I had been thinking: it's hard to know which problem to focus on, which neighborhood, county or state to focus on -- there was simply so much to cover. Your irreplaceable station creates community every day, and, as we did during and after 9/11, we see its worth when we are tested.

I live in high-and-dry northern Manhattan, far from the devastation of the low-lying areas of the city and region. We didn't lose power (just the A train) but our routines were rattled. I am grateful to the owners and staff of Darling Coffee, in Inwood, and Cafe Buunni, in Washington Heights. These two friendly cafes opened earlier this year, and have been ports in the storm. Great scones, too.

Nov. 04 2012 07:58 PM
Luda Pahl from Forest Hill, New York

A Good Samaritan Happens Upon Silver Water After Hurricane Sandy

My neighbor is a runner. Usually he jogs around the lake in Flushing Meadows Park, an area of Queens that wasn’t very severely shaken by the hurricane. A couple of days after Sandy hit New York, he resumed his jogging.

The water, which overflowed the lake, began to recede, but a lot of puddles around the lake remained. He was jogging near one of them, and suddenly, as he said, he saw a puddle with “silver water.” As he came closer, he noticed that the puddle was filled with fish still alive.

His first instinct was to look around to find something to save the fish. He stumbled upon a big black garbage bag, probably left behind by picnickers who had been there before the storm.

One bag was not enough. It turned out that he had to return again and again in order to save all the fish, dragging the bag from the puddle to the lake. It took more time than he imagined, and he came back home tired and wet and exhausted from his labors. He filled the bag eight times!

While he had been filling the bags, some other joggers were circling the lake, some of them stopped to look at him with his bagful of fish, and some sized up the situation as an opportunity--to take some of the displaced fish home with them. But my neighbor, the Good Samaritan, was the only one who cared enough to save the fish and return them to their natural habitat.

He is too shy to tell the story himself, so that’s why I’m telling it for him.

Nov. 04 2012 01:16 PM
crt from Central New Jersey

I have been very disappointed in WNYC's coverage of the recovery efforts in New Jersey. I have no power, so the only news I have is from radio. Hour after hour all I hear about are the problems faced by New York residents. I thought the WNYC charter included NJ coverage too!
The people of Hoboken and all of the NJ counties experiencing gas rationing are important too!

Nov. 03 2012 08:22 PM
Gail

So many news report direct listeners to websites, perhaps not realizing how impossible it is to access information. We have no electricity. To access the information means we need to recharge constantly. Verizon wireless has been DOWN since Monday. Cell phone charges last about two hour as the devices continually search for some kind of network.

We depend on vehicles to recharge. Getting GAS mean communication and information. I don't need to drive. I need to hear what my options are.

Marathon .. I have run and watched this race many times and if i had trained and ready to run ... I would run it anyway. Police should be prepared for people who will run it anyway. The energy from spectators and runners is IMPORTANT. No generators required.

The media is not understanding the isolation this storm has created. Step back and put your self in a position of no cell..Internet .. Television.

Nov. 03 2012 08:05 PM
Paul from Staten Island

Let's start odd @even day gasoline purchases immediately, the last time we did during the OPEC Embargo the lines disappeared the nest day.

Nov. 03 2012 04:04 PM
Eileen in NJ from Short Hills, NJ

Just wanted to point out (but you should confirm as well) that many NJ license plates that aren't vanity plates end in letters rather than numbers. It is my understanding that these are considered odd. We had originally thought that you would go by the last number that appears in the icense plate even if the plate didn't end in a number but that doesn't seem to be the case. No one is mentioning this and I think it will lead to a lot of misinterpretation and frustration on the gas lines.

Very grateful to the coverage, and we're loyal listeners even in good weather.

Nov. 03 2012 03:16 PM
frances from Manhattan

I forgot to say that when II finished, I called 311 again. Held on for a long time but got through -- and it seems that it was a 911 call! They transferred me over and I reported the light. Within a very short time, it was fixed. I'd like to add that the flooding came from the exact same Zone A [mandatory evacuation] site on the East River where
the mayor plans to build the garbage transfer station. I know one group that would surely evacuate that plant: rats!

Nov. 03 2012 02:42 PM
frances from Manhattan

I did something small but I'm very glad I did it. All day Tuesday here on 94th St & First Ave traffic lights froze on red following flooding from the East River Zone A area. It was difficult living right over hour after hour of loud horn honking as cars tried to prod drivers to go through the permanent red light there. I tried to get through to 311, held for 20 minutes and gave up. I made a polite sign and went downstairs. 3 hrs and very sore arms later, into
the early hrs of the evening, I directed traffic, standing in front of 4 lanes, helping the families and children who were trick-or-treating, especially those crossing over from the Isaacs & Holmes public housing.

Within 30 minutes, I was joined by a young man with a bigger sign who decided to stay instead of just handing me the sign. Eventually he called his roommate, who called a friend and finally there were 4 of us altogether, somehow coordinating 4 corners of people crossing, the traffic coming through the green light on 94th St and the oncoming rush-hour traffic heading north on First Ave.

I'm 72 -- I wish I could do more for friends in Lower Manhattan who still don't have power and will search WNYC
website for more opportunities.

Nov. 03 2012 02:31 PM
Jennifer from South Brunswick NJ

I'm learning how it really is government that steps in and gets things going, along with volunteers. Mitt Romney has missed an opportunity to show what big business can do in a crisis; in fact, his lack of initiative just points up more obviously how much we need our Federal, state, and local officials and employees, to get the job of recovering underway and completed. He should've been out there with sleeves rolled up, with his big business friends, doing the work of rescue and recovery and instead he has done nothing. So kudos to our local government employees and officials, from the President to the county clerks here, working overtime this weekend to ensure early voting, for being there for all of us!

Nov. 03 2012 12:57 PM
Marjorie from Queens Village

I live in Queens Village, close to the Nassau County border. While I was blessed enough to be spared any serious damage; many, many others in my area were not. On almost every block, there are 1 or 2 houses onto which trees have collapsed. There are huge trees fallen and blocking many streets. There are trees dangling on utility wires everywhere - precariously perched awaiting just the right gust of wind to fall and crush vehicles, homes or passersby. And I have yet to see any response whatsoever - definitely not Con Edison, no one from the Street Trees division of the Parks Department, no reflective "Caution" tape around any of these hazards that cannot be seen in the dark due to the lack of electricity in the area, there has been no response from any kind of services at all. It's a if we are invisible, or simply do not exist.

On my street (106th Avenue), we have been without power since 2:00 pm on Monday. And while our problems are minor compared to those who have lost so much, it would be nice to at least be able to know if there are some flashlights, lanterns or batteries available to us somewhere, since the local stores have run out, and the lack of gasoline makes it unfeasible to drive around looking for such supplies. Personally, I am down to one flashlight and 2 D batteries to power it, along with one small lantern. I have been using candles since that is my only other option, but that is not the safest thing to do in an old wooden house with three young children. WNYC has been doing a great job of telling the stories, but it would be great if you could also have some concrete information for those of us in the forgotten boroughs whose conditions are not dire but who are become a little less patient from being in the cold and dark, with no timetable for when we can expect our power restored.

Nov. 02 2012 09:30 PM
Rod Snare from Chelsea

Lights just came on in Chelsea!

Nov. 02 2012 06:11 PM
Debra Oryzysyn from Little Italy

We live in Little Italy and have no power or communications when we are there. Our family's evening ritual has been to huddle around the battery-operated radio at night and listen to you. It feels as if you are speaking specifically to those of us in the frozen zone! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your warm presence, your efforts to connect us all, and for giving us the sense that we will come out of this, too. I do not know what we would do without you.

Nov. 02 2012 03:09 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn NY

I think some kind of public announcement needs to be made about how to walk and bike around the city, since more people are doing this w/lack of trains etc. Was biking over the Manhattan bridge the other day and a ton of pedestrians were on the bike side. I specifically take this bridge vs. the Bklyn bridge due to pedestrians. Also jay walkers if you get hit by a bike or worse a car it's your own fault. Please people be safe out there and follow traffic laws etc.. The aftermath of Sandy is traumatic enough.

Nov. 02 2012 02:55 PM
Anita OBrien from Bay Ridge, NY

My husband and I were returning, by car, from Chicago on Monday and knew we would not make it home to Brooklyn. Instead, we detoured to our weekend getaway in Milford, PA. to brave the storm. We lost all communications at 11 pm on Monday - no internet, no TV, no cellphone - and realized we had become so jaded we didn't even own a radio. Tuesday afternoon, unable to get any storm updates, we ventured out looking for a cellphone signal. I casually turned on the car radio, which is constantly tuned to FM 93.9 and was overwhelmed with relief to hear the familiar voices giving a blow by blow update on bridges, tunnels, flooding, etc. Normally the station doesn't make it to Milford, but that day it was like a beacon - loud and clear! Thank you WNYC.....I have renewed my lapsed sustaining membership and know how much I depend on your broadcasts - in good times as well as the tough ones!

Nov. 02 2012 01:49 PM