Larry Ubell on Storm Damage and Home Repairs

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Larry Ubell of Accurate Building Inspectors answers questions on how to safely use a generator, handle flooding, leaks, and how to safely clean up. We'll be taking calls: 646-829-3980!

Let us know if you have questions about how to use a generator, how to deal with damage to your home from the wind and rain, and what to do about flooding—leave a comment!

Larry Ubell
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Tamara from Brooklyn

What about Staten Island, I don't seem to hear any news of it
I am in Brooklyn, but I have friends there and no one in the news media seems to be stating what the situation is there.

Oct. 31 2012 12:16 PM
carol

There is information about cleaning up after a flood at this site. It is aimed at artists cleaning up their studios, but it would be helpful for anyone: http://craftemergency.org/emergency-response

Oct. 31 2012 11:42 AM
Sheila

I believe Mr. Ubell was incorrect when talking to the caller from Bayside. At the moment, New York City water is not treated, and it comes from upstate reservoirs. Therefore, the caller should have been reassured that her water is completely safe, as is all water in New York City.

Oct. 30 2012 01:26 PM
Robert Plautz from New York, N.Y.

If your basement floor has water that has come in thru the outside (not backed-up from the drain pipes) and the drain is capped, should you open the drain or is there a problem that given the magnitude of the storm, the drain is already backed-up and if you open the drain, water will gush-up?

Oct. 30 2012 01:26 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Maybe these topics should be common knowledge, but they are not. I think there should be prominent public announcements about these things.

Oct. 30 2012 01:25 PM
Amy from Manhattan

What about filtering your tap water? Is that more important after a storm like this?

And the Center for Science in the Public Interest recommends boiling water for 2 minutes if it may be contaminated, & then leaving it uncovered for another minute to let volatile organic compounds evaporate.

Oct. 30 2012 01:24 PM
Phyllis Stern from Manhattan

General question:

Is there a problem with cell phones or landlines? Some people in California are having problems getting through to relatives here. Is that just overload on the lines or is there a problem?

Thanks.

Oct. 30 2012 01:20 PM
John from kensington

Hi Larry:
I am a somewhat new home owner. I've been told that I have a sump pump in my basement. What does that look like? Is it something that I have to maintain? Should it pump my basement out when there is water seepage?
Thanks!
John

Oct. 30 2012 01:18 PM
Anne from New Jersey

A relative has two power lines which service her home. One was hit by a tree; the other one is providing power. Question: would it be safe for her to plug her refrigerator into an outlet via a heavy duty extension cord so that she can continue to use her refrigerator?

Oct. 30 2012 12:47 PM