Nick Hornby on the Reading Life

Monday, October 22, 2012

Nick Hornby talks about his popular column in the Believer magazine, which chronicles the books he’s read, bought, skimmed, and meant to read. His new book of essays, More Baths Less Talking, is about his encounters with the reading life.

Nick Hornby

Melissa from CT

The belch definitely wasn't Leonard; he was talking at the time. Mr. Hornby?? How about and "excuse me" ????

Oct. 22 2012 08:21 PM
Kate from Brooklyn

I just heard someone burp - I'm sure it wasn't Leonard...

Oct. 22 2012 06:41 PM
Peggy from Nj

Reading doesn't need to be isolating. Take turns readIng aloud to your partner at bedtime. It's calming & provides interesting breakfast discussion.

Oct. 22 2012 01:19 PM
amy

I love Nick Hornby! I've read all his books and have the album that he made with Ben Folds. But hearing him talk about his sons playing video games and never reading books was really, really disappointing.

Oct. 22 2012 01:04 PM
MrD from NYC

I heard writers don't like to repeat themselves. And yet I just heard Nick Hornby repeating on air.....

Oct. 22 2012 12:59 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I was an avid reader too, over 50 years ago, but it's been mostly video games for me too over the last dozen years or so. I only occasionally read a book- albeit never a work of fiction - between video games and movies, when I get somewhat bored with the latter. Besides the Bible, the only work of fiction I ever found worthy of reading was "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley back in the eight grade. Otherwise it's been almost all histories, biographies and technical books mostly in the computer field.

Oct. 22 2012 12:59 PM
Tom from UWS

Mr. Hornby's first collection of reviews, The Polysyllabic Spree, sent me reading in a dozen different directions, which is something Leonard's show does as well. But like Nick, I can't stay on all those roads at once, or even switch roads at will. One book or author - or translator - will whet my appetite for something more of the same, or suggest something new. The "books I bought and books I read" detail is telling and also useful. Sometimes I go for the comment on the unread book and go for it with vigor.

Oct. 22 2012 12:53 PM
stefano giovannini from 11206

did I hear a burp live on the air during this segment or did I imagine that?

Oct. 22 2012 12:53 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Did Hornby just belch loudly over the air? Keep it classy!

Oct. 22 2012 12:53 PM