Mark Bowden on the Killing of Osama bin Laden

Monday, October 22, 2012

Mark Bowden, chronicler of our military and special forces, gives the account of the hunt for Osama bin Laden. With access to key sources, he tells the story in The Finish: The Killing of Osama bin Laden. Bowden describes the development of a new tactical strategy to fight al Qaeda, how the right weapon to go after bin Laden evolved, how intelligence led to a compound in Abbottabad, and how the Navy SEALS carried out their mission.

Mark Bowden
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Amy from Manhattan

Well, I figured it wasn't Social Security! You're welcome, antonio.

Oct. 22 2012 02:28 PM
antonio from bayside

Ah, thanks amy! ISI is what i meant. SSI is an old strategic simulation company!

Oct. 22 2012 01:56 PM
Fishmael from NYC

Question for your guest -

He just said that no shots were fired, except for at the ground level of the compound.

Just to clarify, so, was bin Laden carrying a weapon? did he attempt to fire? Or was he killed unarmed/without raising his weapon? what is the official line?

Good riddance, but, details do matter.

Oct. 22 2012 01:47 PM
Amy from Manhattan

antonio, do you mean the ISI (Pakistani intelligence agency)? If not, what does SSI mean in this context?

Oct. 22 2012 01:40 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The doctor was jailed for treating Osama bin Laden's children? Is there any reason to think the doctor had any idea whose children they were? Was the trial carried out by the Pakistani gov't., or a provincial gov't., or what?

Oct. 22 2012 01:37 PM
antonio from bayside

Does the guest have any insight as to why the prior administration didn't find BinLaden?
Bob Graham wrote a book that traced the money for the attack to Pakistan, in fact the leader of the ssi ironically was at the white house the morning of the attacks...

Oct. 22 2012 01:30 PM
jack from nyc

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

Oct. 22 2012 01:29 PM
jack from NYC

What does your guest have to say of the fact that the FBI's public file on bin Laden did not list him as sought in connection to the 9/11 attacks. (He was only sought in connection to the bombing of the USS Cole, according to his profile on the FBI's "Most Wanted List").

Oct. 22 2012 01:26 PM
Janet from Westchester

Ask my brother and I? Excuse me? I'm shocked

Oct. 22 2012 01:13 PM
Robert from NYC

I think you meant to say "if somebody asked my brother and me" not "my brother and I". Tsk tsk tsk.

Oct. 22 2012 01:12 PM