New Season: Music

Friday, October 19, 2012

John Schaefer, host of WNYC's Soundcheck and New Sounds, previews some music choices for the fall season, including Soundcheck's own CMJ showcase tonight.

Got a new Fall music pick of your own? What shows and albums are you looking forward to? Post your picks here!

John Schaefer

Sam from astoria

trawling Soundcloud for new music? This is as new as could be, the Romney-inspired "Binder Full Blues"

Oct. 19 2012 12:02 PM
stuart from manhattan

Is anyone in programming following this discussion? Move Soundcheck back to afternoons - puhleeze

Oct. 19 2012 11:56 AM
Leaozinho

Meant to add - if Soundcheck isnt a reason to donate to WNYC, I dont know what is!

Oct. 19 2012 11:46 AM
suzinne from Bronx

Soundcheck how are you different? Still listening sporadically, but not hearing any change in format.

Oct. 19 2012 11:39 AM
Leaozinho

John Schaefer is THE MAN, Soundcheck is FANTASTIC and WNYC should never have replaced it with the insufferable Take Away.

Two highlights of fantastic WNYC music moments:

New York Philharmonic in North Korea (Schaefer hosted); and

Listening to Ryan Adams play "New York" solo on a piano shortly before 10th anniversary of 9/11's. Moved to tears. Thanks for everything John!

Oct. 19 2012 11:38 AM
Frank Grimaldi from EV

I agree with all that's been posted. I totally miss Soundcheck in the afternoon. It's difficult to make a point to listen to the show during it's evening slot. I have checked out some of the podcasts but there's nothing like listening to Soundcheck live.

Oct. 19 2012 11:37 AM
Mark / Brooklyn

I REALLY miss soundcheck in the afternoon. Must you have??

Oct. 19 2012 11:34 AM

Have to agree with Lori and Mark - Soundcheck in the afternoon was perfect. There is a lot of competition for people's ears (and eyes) in the evening and Soundcheck's getting lost in din for me. I miss it!

Oct. 19 2012 11:05 AM
Joad from Prospect Heights

I got an advance copy of the new album by DeLeon called Tremor Fantasma and think it's truly great. Definitely my Fall pick.

Oct. 19 2012 10:56 AM
Lori from Brooklyn

I totally agree with Mark-the afternoon time slot was great, especially for people that listen to WNYC all day at work.

Oct. 19 2012 10:25 AM
Mark from Westchester

I miss my Soundcheck in the afternoon. It was wonderful to take a break from the unrelenting news, and I can't tell you how many performers and bands I was introduced to by John's show. Moving seamlessly from rock to symphonic to experimental music, I always learn something while listening to Soundcheck. But we need it in the afternoon!

Oct. 19 2012 10:14 AM