Jill Stein's Green Party Run

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Jill Stein, Green Party candidate for president, discusses her candidacy and her take on the important issues.

Jill Stein

indie from NYC

i only vaguely heard of Jill Stein before today - I have to say after the HOURS of seriously dry election coverage of the same candidates and same regurgitated talking points - this woman has been the most refreshing.

I didn't know about this private deal the Dems did with the Rep. not to allow 3rd party leaders, I assumed it was the corporate media's doing. Sad that wnyc doesn't try harder to give the full spectrum. wnyc has devoted 20min to Jill Stein this entire campaign year/season and they wonder how the Greens/Libertarians get so few votes. Even independent radio won't give them a platform that exceeds 20 minutes.
Sad.
wnyc may not have shareholders but it sure as heck has big donors and a list of big wig board of directors. thanks for the 20 minutes wnyc. you can feel you did your part.

Oct. 18 2012 07:02 PM
SRF from this great city

Ms. Stein mentioned that Democracy Now held debates that included third-party candidates. Thank you Democracy Now.

Oct. 18 2012 04:59 PM
Miki Dor

If Obama is going to lose this elections or to continue this paralized adminisration, this is not because ot third parties candidates, but becouase Obama is the most right wing Dems president of the last 75 years.

Oct. 18 2012 01:26 PM
Miki Dor from Long Island

I voted Nader, because he represented me. If Gore lost after 8 years of the Democratic rule, that presented today by Obama as the good times, this is because the neoliberal Raganism of Clinton

Oct. 18 2012 01:24 PM
Chris from NYC

Your statement that Ralph Nader cost Gore the election ignores the fact that Katherine Harris dumped tens of thousands of African-American voters from the rolls in Florida. I am sick of people staing the Nader slur as if it was fact. Do some research.

Oct. 18 2012 11:57 AM

Her video comments, which are vague and rambling, and riddled with "ums" and "ahs" show that Ms. Stein is clearly not ready for prime time. If you guys are serious, why not pay a college kid to produce some serious, well edited promotional videos?

She would be mowed over in a debate. If this thought process evolves and the party decides to become part of the solution, rather than being a rabble rousing outlier, they could do something.

Oct. 18 2012 11:51 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Please" from Brooklyn - that's an arrogant "group-think" thing to say.

Are you saying that Nader, or anyone should have not have run at all, or should have dropped out of the race, out of some weird allegiance to the democratic or republican party?

Are you saying, that the people who voted for Nader, were either stupid or should not have given the chance of voting for someone, outside the actual Coke and Pepsi choice of Bush? Or that they were like sheep, and would have voted for Gore, as opposed to not voting at all?

Your comments are sadly an example of Americans' willingness to settle for the evil they know.

Oct. 18 2012 11:51 AM
Em

A two party state where both parties are conservatives is not a democracy. I am really disappointed that Brian is perpetuating the myth about Gore 2000. Gore lost the election because he is Al Gore. He made massive gaffs like distancing himself from Clinton, the only asset he had and he lost his own state for crying out loud. That wasn't Nader's fault, that was his. The man was cardboard. And the biggest example was the way he folded over the Florida decision. Gore lost. The bottom line is people that came out for Nader just wouldn't have voted in that election, just like many will stay home in this election. But who ya gonna blame this time?? No patsy I'm afraid, and that's an inconvenient truth the Gore supporters really don't like to hear.

Oct. 18 2012 11:36 AM

Me likes Jill Stein!

She brings a new and important voice to a two party discussion that is stale and very NARROW.

Bring her back!!

Oct. 18 2012 11:34 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Jill Stein gets arrested. Publicity Stunt worthy of Lindsey Lohan.

Oct. 18 2012 11:32 AM
Please from B'klyn

Greens in this country are incredibly misguided
and will never gain respect since they are viewed as
spoilers that got Bush into Florida.

Like in other countries, Greens should concentrate on LOCAL elections
- establish some level of mainstream CREDIBILITY.

it takes time to build a real national grassroots party,
Americans like instant.

Oct. 18 2012 11:28 AM
Mike from Inwood

Jill Stein confuses two parties that aren't that much different with two parties that are different but must compromise with one another. If Obama didn't accomplish much it was because of Republicans, not a lack of wanting on his part. Maybe if those 90 million people got off their duffs to get the President a clear and insurmountable majority, her agenda would largely be put into place. Instead, she'll split the vote and raise the odds of getting the worst of all worlds.

Oct. 18 2012 11:28 AM

I am suspicious of anyone who says "I know this because I'm a doctor." Rand Paul does the same thing in his messaging. It is meant to push an agenda and somehow lend credibility ot their ideas, but it is completely irrelevant. Doctors are doctors. They aren't versed in public policy.

I'm sorry, as much as I would support a 3rd party, this extreme, negative sounding, stunt oriented campaigning isn't going to get them anywhere with me. By constantly accusing mainstream politicians of any stripe as sharlatans, you just sound like a nutjob.

Oct. 18 2012 11:28 AM
John A.

Glad you got this show and also the "Moyers & Company" a month ago. But belong on the national debate stage? I haven't seen the numbers that say that.

Oct. 18 2012 11:27 AM
snoop from BK

To which policies are you referring?

"We already saw what Marxism and Fascism did to the countries who adopted such ideologies in former periods of high unemployment, do we want to try those "solutions" here?"

I'm curious... After all, the GOP endorsed austerity policy seems to be driving Europeans toward extremism...

Oct. 18 2012 11:24 AM

Thanks for that Brian. Jill Stein = awesome. Have her on more, please.

Oct. 18 2012 11:23 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Jill Stein and her Green (Envy) Party should have run against Tzar Putin.

Oct. 18 2012 11:23 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Please" from Brooklyn...what are you talking about?

John, I'm sure you would have supported the cops "stopping & frisking" her too.

Oct. 18 2012 11:22 AM
Jacob from Brooklyn

The Greens in Europe work in parliamentary systems in which a %10 showing can get some seats with real power. Winner-take-all elections like those in the US are different animals.

Oct. 18 2012 11:22 AM
Robert from NYC

And you, Brian, and many other talk show host and anchors add to this culture of fear about 3rd and 4th parties. Cut it out. Grow up!

Oct. 18 2012 11:22 AM
Robert from NYC

I earlier posted this is a boring show but I did it on this segment. I want to apologize to Dr Stein because it was most assuredly not intended toward her, I think she has it down, as it were and is on the ball. I agree with just about everything she says. And this segment gives a boost to the show today as well. Thanks for this.

Oct. 18 2012 11:20 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Oct. 18 2012 11:20 AM
snoop from BK

Glad that someone pointed out that tax cuts do not create jobs.
Spending does. Half the stimulus was much more ineffective than it could have been because it was devoted to tax cuts rather than spending.

Oct. 18 2012 11:19 AM
Not A Fan

Give local governments more money so they can create more government jobs? Sounds like an awful idea.

Oct. 18 2012 11:19 AM
Lenore from Manhattan

1. Green also happens to be the color of grass, tree leaves, etc.

2. The conditions under which Stein and her running mate were detained show the extent to which this really has become a police state. (And I don't usually make blanket statements like that.) Our police routinely prepare now for riots, including here in NYC. What has happened to us?

3. Because NY is not a swing state, I will vote for Stein. If it were a swing state I would vote for Obama, nose firmly held because of the NDAA, indefinite detention, etc.

Oct. 18 2012 11:18 AM
Scott

Another complete waste of airtime.

Oct. 18 2012 11:18 AM
Please from B'klyn

Please Please Please,

This is NOT a Democracy and you know it.

Don't Be another evil self obcessed Ralph Nader.......!

You Saw what Bush Did with Nader's help.

Now You're supporting Romney.........?

Great

Greens will NEVER get my support,

I will always work actively against them.

Oct. 18 2012 11:16 AM
john from office

Brian, to let her just make a claim of mistreatment by the police, chained to a chair for 8 hours. Brian, how about some proof. Sounds like she is making more of it to be a hero. I would send her to Gitmo ASAP.

FREE JILL STEIN!!! oh she is free, sorry

Oct. 18 2012 11:16 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

WRONG Jill. WW2 got the US out of the 1930s depression.

Oct. 18 2012 11:15 AM
jonn knoxx

I think it is absolutely abhorrent, that only two status quote candidates are allowed in these debates.
I'm sorry you were arrested Jill, but I bet a lot of people didn't even know who you were until you made the news for being arrested. It was the first time I even heard your name mentioned on national TV, so at least a little bit of good came from it.

Oct. 18 2012 11:15 AM
Max from Northern NJ

Political preferences aside, all candidates for President should be included in the "debates". As Jill has so eloquently described, these shams that pass for public fora make a mockery of our system of choosing our leaders.

Given the continued tolerance of the Electoral College, an anachronism that disenfranchises most Americans, I see little reason to feel enthusiastic about this or any Presidential election.

Oct. 18 2012 11:14 AM
Crow from nyc

why has this woman been denied a voice on WNYC up till now?
Good thing she got arrested ... fodder for the press and a kind of "crazy" third party candidate representing the "crazies."

Oct. 18 2012 11:14 AM
Ruth

It is a total disgrace to our political system that we do not allow these other candidates in the presidential debates. They are official presidential candidates! But it makes me wonder how Ross Perot got himself into the debates.

Oct. 18 2012 11:12 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Good for Jill, the two party duopoly is ruining this country. One day, this will change.

Oct. 18 2012 11:12 AM
Robert from NYC

Geeze, this is a boring show today. Where's the beef!?

Oct. 18 2012 10:59 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

I hope the Green Party and Jill Stein drains votes from Obama.

Oct. 18 2012 10:53 AM

It is disgraceful that the Presidential "debates" exclude nominees who aren't Dem or Rep. It's choking off the conversation and allows the two nominees to stick to the canned nonsense that passes for debates.

Oct. 18 2012 10:36 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

The Green Party, like the Greens in Europe, is an ultra leftist, socialist party. They will never get my vote on anything.

Oct. 18 2012 10:32 AM

JS, shameful you were detained at the debate the other night. Truly a police state.

Oct. 18 2012 10:22 AM
sanych

Green is the color of Islam.

Green party's solution to Israel-Arab conflict is the "one state" solution, which will effectively destroy the only Jewish state.

On their page the area is colored in .... green:

Hidden agenda?

Oct. 18 2012 10:20 AM

Save america vote for virgil goode
A TRUE conservative!

Oct. 18 2012 10:06 AM
Mike Plewa from N.J.

First let me say that I agree with the Green Party's platform 100% . But I feel that a vote for the Greens is compromising the chances of the lesser of two evils winning ( Obama ). I wonder if Miss Stein acknowledges the irony of Ralph Nader costing Gore the election in 2000 when Gore's priority seemed to be the Global Warming issue back at a time when the conditions were much better for doing something about it.

Oct. 18 2012 09:34 AM