Debate Preview: Take Two

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

US President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney share a laugh October 3, 2012 at the conclusion of the first presidential debate. (MANDEL NGAN/AFP/GettyImages)

Mara Liasson, national political correspondent for NPR, previews tonight's "town hall-style" presidential debate.

What advice would you give Obama and Romney in advance of tonight's debates?

→ Watch the Debates With WNYC: Pre-Debate Special at 8pm Tonight | Video and Live Chat | Play Debate Bingo!

Mara Liasson

lee

Brian, your attempt to engage Mara Liasson in actual discussion of ideas and policy was noble but fruitless. It's easy and brainless to talk about this race strictly in terms of strategy and theatrics, which is why most "reporters" do it incessantly.

Oct. 16 2012 01:10 PM
Charles Hayes from Harlem

Mara Liasson just tried to blame the president for the media's failure to report Romney's mendacity and policy about-face, telling listeners in essence that if Romney gets away with lies and becomes our next president, it's Obama's fault, since he was Romney's debate opponent. She doubled down on the idea that it was up to the president and not the media to cover this dimension of the debate. OUTRAGEOUS! She also attempted to justify one of Romney's lies, that he was not cutting the tax rate of top earners. I will never trust her judgement again. Please watch out for this conservative spinmaster in the future, Brian.

Oct. 16 2012 10:48 AM
Stephan from Long Island NY

It always surprises me on how 2 or more people can listen to a broadcast or watch a debate or boxing match and come to very different conclusion. In today’s society we just can’t look or listen to anything and try to come to an objective conclusion. Brian, you should do a show about how we just can’t be objective about anything anymore. I try to take an objective approach instead of just say what I like or take the “Me, Me approach to everything we do”. I think this society do believe “They Can Have Their Cake And Eat It Too” (for example I like this boxer and even though the other guy knock him down, my guy was the winner). Martin, I don’t think BLS is pro-Obama and I don’t think he is pro-Romney. I think he is trying his best to walk that very difficult objective line. Would you say that FOX is objective?

Oct. 16 2012 10:45 AM

martin
don't blame the "liberal media" it's the voters who will pick the next president. are you anti-democratic as well

Oct. 16 2012 10:43 AM
Julie from Brooklyn

I believe you are 100% correct Brian. The way the media covered the first debate was irresponsible. Yes, President Obama was not entirely effective in pointing out Mr. Romney's severe swing to the center (and his ineffective strategy WAS part of the story), but he wasn't as bad in the debate as the media made him out to be (the media was WAY over the top on this). Meanwhile, the REAL and the most IMPORTANT story was Mr. Romney's cynical and blatant swing to the center and how he completely misrepresented his positions simply to get votes. This was barely covered. Thank you for being one of the few people in the media who keeps trying to point this failing out!! Perhaps President Obama didn't debate as well as he should have, but the media completely dropped the ball by not covering the importance of a presidential candidate CHANGING HIS POSITIONS in front of millions right before the election. How is that not a story??? Even an important George Romney adviser is in the NYTimes today slamming Romney's inconsistencies...

Oct. 16 2012 10:34 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

BRAVO SCOTT FROM SOHO!!!!!

Oct. 16 2012 10:33 AM
scott from soho

Quick question for Brian.

Do I qualify for the shopping bag and the sponsors matching funds if Iskip the middleman and donate directly to the Obama campaign? Just curious.

Oct. 16 2012 10:30 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

@hjs11211-

Nah.... (I'll be fine, unlike the lower income groups in the next 4 years.)
I long ago assumed that this radical left wing empty suit would slither back into the WH on the backs of an enabling white liberal media.

No big surprise.

The impeachment campaign begins November 7.

Oct. 16 2012 10:30 AM
Jack

I love NPR fund drives because I love hearing you guys beg me to pay "my fair share" while I sit back and take a free ride. Oh, the irony ...

Oct. 16 2012 10:28 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Why should liberals be aghast, we all know that if Romney wins, he will probably rule to the left of Obama and to the right of Clinton, especially when he seeks a second term. The republican congress in Boehner and Mcconnell and their democratic clones, will gleefully start deficit spending again, with the blessings of the vanity television conservatives, who's one and only goal, was to make Obama a one term president.

Oct. 16 2012 10:23 AM

martin, are you getting nervous?

Oct. 16 2012 10:21 AM
jane silver from Hudson Valley, NY

For those of us who LISTENED to the "debate" on NPR (didn't watch on TV) we thought B Obama was just terrific. Certainly M Romney was not "better".
In fact, B Obama was good and we thought he was better.
Thanks to NPR for broadcasting via RADIO, good ole radio!!!!

Oct. 16 2012 10:21 AM
Barbara Hoffmann from Millrift, PA

I admire Brian for trying to get Mara to say something substanial. Unfortunelaty that is an impossible task. Gosh forbid any reporter from NPR actually talk about this campaign as anything but a horse race.

Oct. 16 2012 10:21 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

BRIAN-

"Etch-sketch Romney?"
You are out-lying even yourself today.
Shameful !
You have become a shrill hack as the election is getting closer and you are subconsciously feeling more deperate.

Oct. 16 2012 10:18 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

LOL .... the post-debate script to be read and printed by the Obama Media (mainstream/PBS)has already been written and circulated ....
"OBAMA WINS 2nd DEBATE !!!" No matter what happens.

If Barry had laryngitis and couldn't be in his chair, they would still go with this story.

(And the pro-Obama bias of the BLS has been so blatant of late (multiple posts on this here by others) that it's been painful to lisen to Brian embarrassing himself this way.)

Oct. 16 2012 09:50 AM