Open Phones: Debate Role-Play

Monday, October 15, 2012

President Barack Obama walks away from Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney after the Presidential Debate at the University of Denver on October 3, 2012. (Getty)

The second presidential debate will take place tomorrow night at Hofstra University. Listeners: want to play the role of Obama or Romney? If you are a Romney supporter and want to advocate on his behalf, or an Obama supporter who wants to play the role of the President, call 212-433-9692. Brian will ask a question, and our role-players will discuss!

anne from queens

i have ?'s based on 2 really interesting articles:
in the economist about how basically "real post-tax income gain for the rich (defined as those in the 80th percentile of income)was 1.37% when Democrats were in the White House and just 0.92% when Republicans were.". other good stuff: http://www.economist.com/node/21564256

also Romney's real investment record at Bain seems to have only had 10 out of 67 deals yielded 70% of Bains' profits while Romney was in charge; 4 of those 10 later ended up in bankruptcy: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-15/romney-s-bain-yielded-private-gains-socialized-losses.html

?'s
how would Mr. Romney (since he's running on his business record, and away from his record as governor) say that his investment background informs him as to how to make deals with Congress when they have their territory to protect by bringing home the bacon? Essentially, you cannot fire your country's citizens and cut every congress person's bacon just because it's 'profitable'.

and how does restricting a woman's access to birth control and health services, including abortion, help the economy?

Oct. 15 2012 05:16 PM
Paul from New Jersey

To President Obama: "Four years ago I believed in you, I had hope that you would change Washington, and bring our nation back. Now I'm not so sure. What happened?"

Obama: "I'm disappointed too. During the campaign four years ago I did not anticipate the depth of the economic crisis we were headed into, and I did not appreciate how much the Republican Congress would oppose everything we have been trying to do. On economic recovery, saving the auto industry, reforming health care, grappling with the deficit, you name it, their word has been "No." Some of them have even said their number one job was getting me out of office, not working day and night for the good of our country. We got into this mess because of eight years of reckless policies from the Bush administration. And Mitt Romney wants to take us straight back there. Now I have been able to accomplish a lot of what I promised. We avoided a depression and financial collapse. I said we would cover more people with heath insurance and eliminate denials due to pre-existing conditions. We did that. I said we would end the war in Iraq and bring our men and women home, and we did that. But there is so much more to do. The choice for the next four years is between a return to the failed policies of George Bush, Mitt Romney, and the Republican Congress, or continuing to do the hard work of moving America forward and rebuilding the American middle class. We need jobs, not tax cuts for the wealthy. We need a firm hand in foreign policy, not shoot-from-the-hip diplomacy. If you give me your trust and your vote, I promise you I will be working every day for you, the American people. Together we can continue to move forward, not back.

Oct. 15 2012 10:56 AM
licnyc from queens

Amazing. Fake Romney is as bad a liar as real Romney.

Oct. 15 2012 10:49 AM
Judith from Brooklyn

There is no such thing as "partial birth abortion." The Republic party should be corrected each and every time they use fake science (like "forcible rape" and the woman's ability to "shut down that thing."

Oct. 15 2012 10:49 AM

Four years ago we heard from Obama that if he "didn't get it done in the first three years" he would be a one term president." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCN5-ovvFL0

Now not so much.

Whenever anyone asks Obama about his policies concerning the economy or Iran he should try to avoid saying "I kept Iran from getting the bomb in the same way I kept the economy from creating jobs. But there is some expectation that things will be different, because I will be more flexible, after I get re-elected.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFR8DbSRQE

Oct. 15 2012 10:48 AM
john from Office

Women are seeing more unemplyment because of cuts made by the republicans.

Oct. 15 2012 10:47 AM

With the caveat that winning the debate isn't tantamount to winning the argument, I give debate two to Keith.

Oct. 15 2012 10:45 AM
Ana Manrique from Queens, NY

I would first ask Romney what kind of connection he uses at his company and if he doesn't agree that the US needs an infrastructure update if we want to have real innovation. If we are going to overhaul education, we need to face the facts: The speed at which education and technology move are total opposites. While children are learning with text books that are years old, every few months technology reinvents itself. Why don't we have more people working? Because not enough people are technology savvy. I would suggest supporting the overhaul of education and infrastructure, which will create jobs today and in the future.

Oct. 15 2012 10:45 AM
Jay F.

Really?

Oct. 15 2012 10:43 AM
Leo from Queens

We borrowed money for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars while giving huge tax breaks for the wealthy.
Why are the better off not willing to go back to the Clinton tax rates in order to help pay for the Iraq/Afghanistan wars?
Isn't that unpatriotic to complain that you will be hurt when you have not contributed to the defense of the country and you prefer to borrow money for these wars and then have the poor and the elderly pay for it?
That is so greedy and selfish. We have a culture of entitlement and greed which emanates from many of those on the top

Oct. 15 2012 10:43 AM

Mary wins! Hey Mary, you have my vote :-) Your answers were more substantive (and polite) than your opponent's.

Oct. 15 2012 10:42 AM

Hey Brian, way to call us on our collective armchair (debate) quarterbacking.

Oct. 15 2012 10:37 AM

Oh yeah, Bill Clinton is the best spokesperson for whatever reality you may want to establish. Witness this performance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIP_KDQmXs.
In fact Barry would have pulled a surprise switcheroo and had Bill stand in for him tonight but for the necessity of putting the blame of Benghazi onto Hillary. Maybe Bill will calm down by debate number 3.

Oct. 15 2012 10:34 AM
Anne from Manhattan

I wish, when asked "are you better off than 4 years ago?" Obama would re-frame the question-- "is OUR COUNTRY better off after 4 years of Democratic leadership than after 8 years of Republican leadership?" look at the mess 8 years of Republicans got us into." --citing the financial mess, the wars, the loss of life and the expense of those wars, and cite where THE COUNTRY is better off...

Oct. 15 2012 10:25 AM