Salman Khan Reimagines Education

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Salman Khan, founder of the Khan Academy and author of the new book The One World School House: Education Reimagined, presents his vision for the future of education.

Salman Khan

teacher from Jersey City, NJ

I'm a teacher,and last night I went to bed in quiet despair. My day was spent teaching in an ineffective failing school system. My afternoon was spent in a grad class listening to academic nonsense that is destroying education. My evening was spent fighting with my kids to do homework that is time-consuming, worthless, and unchallenging. What a pleasure it was to listen to to Mr. Khan. Thank you, thank you for doing what you are doing. Please don't let the "educators" get to you. Stay fresh, innovative and smart.

Oct. 05 2012 08:15 AM
anna from new york

I didn't listen to Khan, but I heard a comment by someone who comically compared European education with American.
Several points.
Since American pre-college education with its focus on shaping zombies (we are the best and the brightest" and "THE RICH ARE RICH BECAUSE THE DESERVE TO BE RICH") is below any acceptable level, most American colleges are remedial schools.
Yes, it makes a difference whether the majority gets some decent basic education or not.
Lectures .... Some psychobabblers told American academics that knowledge is bad, lectures are bad and that their role is to ... inspire.
As a result we have possibly the most illiterate population in the world - absolutely ignorant, insensitive to demagoguery eager to 'inspired" by assorted charlatans. When facts are "bad" ....

Oct. 04 2012 11:18 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

John Huntington from brooklyn,

Check out

I think you should let them know about your videos too.

Oct. 04 2012 11:10 AM
Jay F.

Mr. Khan should receive the MacArthur Foundation Fellowship for his work.

Oct. 04 2012 11:04 AM
Rebecca from New Jersey

I am a parent of a middle schooler who often needs a little extra review in pre-algebra concepts and other aspects of math. I myself have watched Khan Academy videos so that I can help him! His classroom teacher is very good, but he has math every other day so the videos are a great way to reinforce what he's getting in class--and they help me keep up with what he's learning. I wish this had existed when I was in school, particularly high school.

Oct. 04 2012 11:03 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

John and Mr. Khan - good luck to you both. Primary education is still stuck in the 19th century, that needs to change.

Oct. 04 2012 11:01 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Yes, current obsession with the electronic and the virtual definitely underestimates the critical importance of interactivity. This is particularly true in the civic realm.

Oct. 04 2012 11:00 AM
John Huntington from brooklyn

Edward from Washington Heights thanks! It's a pretty esoteric topic but it's fun for me...

Oct. 04 2012 10:59 AM
Lee from Mahattan

When I was in grade school in a NJ suburb during the 1970's there was a state mandate for "thorough and efficient education" in the public schools. They tried an "open classroom" model on us where we learned at our own pace in peer groups. There was only 1 teacher in the classroom. Everyone was working on a subject of their choice based on SRA learning cards. It was a miserable failure. I lost out on the entire 6th grade year. The teacher was overwhelmed by trying to answer all the questions. It was a good concept but poor when executed.

Oct. 04 2012 10:59 AM
MHR in JC from Jersey City NJ & Norfolk, UK

My 12-year-old stepson has been using the Kahn academy this year at the urging of his father. He has had wonderful success with it. Previously we had to push for him to do extra work or "get a jump on" his homework. With Kahn academy, he will proudly announce to my husband that he has done a video and two tests with no prompting. Besides helping my stepson with his math skills, I believe that Kahn Academy has also given him a sense of ownership over his education enrichment. Thank you, Salman Khan.

Oct. 04 2012 10:59 AM
Jack from Brooklyn

Show me a $200 tablet that remains usable for 5 years and I'll show you some land in Florida. :)

Oct. 04 2012 10:58 AM
John A

Talented lecturers will talk about using their skills for getting eye contact - with audiences that are all staring down at him in a video window on their laptops.

Oct. 04 2012 10:56 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

John Huntington from brooklyn, I bookmarked your website/videos.

Oct. 04 2012 10:56 AM
John Huntington from brooklyn

Typing quickly I left this out--I moved the lecture hours from my course online and the students are required to watch the video and/or review the chapter before class. We then start with a review and then do a lab. I've never seen students more prepared and we are getting much father than ever before-and I've been teaching this class for 10 years.

Oct. 04 2012 10:55 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

Khan Academy is a great idea and a great site.

Even better for middle schoolers is www.powermylearning.com from CFY, who you should also have on your show. (Actually I think you had them on your show once.)

Oct. 04 2012 10:55 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

The Khan Academy videos is probably the most important innovation in basic education in the last century. It's a very simple idea. Just break down the entire k-12 (or beyond) curriculum into series of 10 minute videos explaining everything in detail that the student can watch over and over again until he or she absorbs it. Today, via the Khan Academy, and frankly other lectures freely available as well over the internet, anyone anywhere can obtain a coherent, easily digestible education in subjtect desired.

Mr. Khan should get a Nobel Prize in educational innovation if such a prize existed. His personal contribution to the world of pedagogy is simply incalculable.

Oct. 04 2012 10:53 AM
CK from Westchester

Salman is a breath of fresh air.

John A makes a good point: where are the educational tools in new form factors? I know of two med schools using all ipad texts (and the most update of treatment and patient care info.) But at college and HS level, not much. My daughter is required to have a laptop and turn in homework online, but still has to haul 80 lbs of books and sit through standard lectures then haul home repetitive home work.

I hope Salman has a great influence on teaching.

Oct. 04 2012 10:53 AM
John Huntington from brooklyn

I'm a professor at NYC College of Technology (CUNY), and when I saw Mr. Khan on 60 minutes a couple years ago, I did the same thing with my new edition of my book, Show Network and Control Systems. My videos are here: http://controlgeek.net/book-video-lectures/
So far this semester it's been working out amazingly well! We'll see how they do on the upcoming midterm...

Oct. 04 2012 10:51 AM

a new precalculus book in the 8th ed. costs $250!
why are they selling a new edition every few years? what has changed in calculus in the last 50 or 100 years?

Oct. 04 2012 10:49 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Eliminate Tenure for Teachers.

Give Tenure for Computers.

Oct. 04 2012 10:49 AM
Robert from NYC

Prussia? And don't forget Asia Minor... Turkey!

Oct. 04 2012 10:47 AM
Robert from NYC

This guy is great.

Oct. 04 2012 10:46 AM
John A

I visited the bookstore of my college, a leading tech center, a couple of years ago... and what did I see? Virtually unchanged after 30 years, even with some searching found a coding form pad and textbook for FORTRAN (19)77. Still all book based. Where was the iPad rapid downloader? All this text is locked up in contracts with the publishers. When this empire crashes, it probably will go fast.

Oct. 04 2012 10:44 AM