Melissa Clark on Fall Cooking

Thursday, October 04, 2012

New York Times Dining Section columnist and cookbook writer Melissa Clark shares some ideas for enjoying fall’s bountiful produce. Her most recent cookbook is Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make.

Melissa Clark

kusalee

The host and the guess were confused about our climate zones when comparing fig and avocado. Fig has growing range from USDA Zones 8–10. Between the global warming and the urban heat. Brooklyn's climate has gradually changed from zone 6 to 7. With protection fig will do ok in Brooklyn and many parts of NYC.

The hardiest avocado can tolerate Zone 9B (closer to 10). For now, growing avocado tree is too big of a leap for us in NYC.

Fig trees in NYC also don't grow as big as the ones found in warmer areas. But most thriving fig trees I saw in Brooklyn have more fruits than most people know what to do with them anyways.

Oct. 04 2012 12:55 PM
John A

Excuse me, but unsoaked beans is a real poor choice of strategies. I've taken about 20 years to discover this. But if you must, cracked beans and lentils will soak up in about 15 minutes as opposed to 24 hours.

Oct. 04 2012 12:40 PM
Kathryn from Brooklyn

According to Harold McGee soaking beans for more than 4 hours doesn't buy you anything. It doesn't have to be over night.

Oct. 04 2012 12:40 PM
Janine from NYC

lightly frying okra will get rid of the slime.
my grandma used to make it all the time. after frying them, she would use it in other dishes.

Oct. 04 2012 12:38 PM
rocanne from nyc

brussel sprouts, chestnuts AND radishes roasted YUMMMY!!!!

Oct. 04 2012 12:36 PM
Andrea Castro from Ossining, NY

Hi can she give us more info on the actual recipe for that sneaky good for you mac and cheese?

Oct. 04 2012 12:35 PM
Capper from NYC

Can she post the mac & cheese recipe? Please.

Oct. 04 2012 12:35 PM
Ruth from Brooklyn

I chop up cauliflower into my mac and cheese... and instead of sour cream I use cream cheese.

Oct. 04 2012 12:34 PM
Maria from Bklyn

Now I'm more confused about the carrot conversation...
P.s. Figs can be cooked down into a great jam! Add a bit of water and sugar and cook them down, stirring once in a while.

Oct. 04 2012 12:26 PM
Er-nay from UWS

Sauté whole okras in olive oil and onions for 10 mins and then add a few whole cherry tomatoes and cook them until they are soft. Unbelievably good and not slimy at all.

Oct. 04 2012 12:24 PM
Andrea from Rockland

Try grating raw turnips adding a bit of chopped red onion, olive oil and salt, mix and enjoy.

Oct. 04 2012 12:24 PM
Bob from NJ

In an age when it is so easy to search for information on the internet, Melissa's blitheness about ingesting foods that may contain solanine is surprising. She may not be putting herself at risk with her particular choices, but it would be pretty easy to determine that with a Google search of what raw vegetables present concerns.

Oct. 04 2012 12:23 PM
Marsha Andrews from Upper west side

Alyce, you're breaking my heart!! You are throwing away figs? Where do you live ... I'll be right over and eat them all raw in one sitting? I spend a fortune buying organic figs across the street but I'd travel to help you out!

Oct. 04 2012 12:20 PM
Estelle

OMG, don't toss the figs! Freeze them! Every year I look forward to fig muffins, and fig-port sauce for duck.

Oct. 04 2012 12:18 PM
Joel from Nyack, NY

The best celery root that I ever had was in Paris. The whole root was packed in kosher salt and baked and then the salt crust was cracked at the table and the incredible aroma of celery wafted out. It was served simply with butter, salt & pepper.

Oct. 04 2012 12:14 PM
Marcio from Brooklyn Heights

How can Melissa stay so slim if she loves her mashed potatoes with so much butter!! What's her secret?!?!?!

Oct. 04 2012 12:14 PM
Alyce from New York

I have so many figs I'm composting them! Can you provide some AMAZING recipes that do not demand the entire day to prepare. THANKS!

Oct. 04 2012 12:10 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

It's difficult to believe Ms. Clark has written so many books when she seems to have such difficulty with the language..."most bountiest...?"

Oct. 04 2012 12:08 PM
George

Ah, this segment seems unimportant enough for me to tune out. Thanks!

Oct. 04 2012 12:08 PM