“Electoral Dysfunction”

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Victoria Bassetti, author of Electoral Dysfunction: A Survival Manual for American Voters, written with Mo Rocca, talks about at voting in America—from early voting to absentee ballots to voter fraud to voter ID laws. She's joined by Bennett Singer, writer/director/producer of the documentary “Electoral Dysfunction." The film opens at the Quad Cinema September 21. It will also be shown in New York on PBS channel 21 October 28.

Victoria Bassetti and Bennett Singer

Max from Suburban NJ

Though I have voted in every Presidential election since my coming of age, I am disenfranchised with respect to American Presidential elections.

I have never lived in an early primary state. By the time primary elections have come to the states where I have lived, candidates have already been chosen.

I have never lived in a "swing state". In every state in which I have lived, in every Presidential election, there was never a question of who would win my state. I have never seen or heard a paid advertisement for a Presidential candidate. I have voted, nevertheless, though I have never voted for a winning candidate (and today see neither Obama nor Romney as equipped to address the problems America faces).

My vote for President has become so meaningless, I find myself annoyed at hearing about the campaign and the election. (Quite probably, lacking enthusiastic for both Republicans and Democrats is a contributing factor.)

Until the Electoral College is abolished and the United States of America permits direct election of all of its leaders, Presidential elections will mean little to me.

Sep. 27 2012 01:10 PM
James Johnson

Voting is a serious responsibility and an important part of an individuals civic duty, why wouldn't a photo id be required--I need one to drive, to take an air trip. I don't think it's an unreasonable requirement.

Sep. 27 2012 01:03 PM
Misty

What about weekend voting? Do you think it might ever happen?

Sep. 27 2012 12:58 PM
morganz

wondering if there's ever been a push to make voting a duty - like jury duty - where everyone is required by law to vote?

Sep. 27 2012 12:57 PM
n. from nj

many "crimes" are now classified as felonies. how has the affected taking away certain peoples right to vote?

Sep. 27 2012 12:54 PM
CK from Westchester

Oh please. Enough of the whining about voter id. You can't tell how many have voted fraudulently if you never checked id. If you can show id for every other darned thing, you can prove who you are to vote. Further, if voting isn't worth the effort to you, you shouldn't vote.

Sep. 27 2012 12:52 PM
Joe from nearby

Who is behind this wave of voter suppression campaigns?

I heard it's Rove's brain child. Correct?

Sep. 27 2012 12:51 PM
Eric from NYC

It was my understanding that requiring identification to vote violated the Civil Rights Act. Wasn't there a Supreme Court case that said that requiring an ID is so similar to a poll tax that they were deemed unconstitutional?

Sep. 27 2012 12:50 PM
antonio from baySide

What do the guests think of journalist Gregg Pallast contention that the 2000 election was stolen?
I read the book ("best democracy money can buy")and it was quite compelling...

Sep. 27 2012 12:49 PM