The Impact of the NFL Lockout

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The use of replacement refs in the NFL has led to controversial calls and unhappy viewers. But will it cut into the leagues revenue? Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk discusses whether the diminished quality will lead to lost revenue for the NFL.

Andrew Brandt

jawbone

BTW, this sure does indicate how the One Percent want to treat each every person in the 99 Percent.

They are dying to make every worker destitute in their old age or nearly so, unless they hit the jackpot of are borm filthy rich.

Don't these owners get it that there has to be a more equitable distribution of wealth for them to keep getting fans to their games? People have to earn enough, with security for their old age, to have enough disposable income to afford the owners' outrageous ticket prices. Even Henry Ford got that equation down pat; He knew he had to pay his employees enough that they could afford to buy his product. D'uh.

These modern Uberwealth? Sheesh.

Sep. 26 2012 10:50 AM
Robert from Manhattan

To Lizzy: Brian is off today atoning for his sins. With that segment, especially once the callers started, we atoned for them too.

Sep. 26 2012 10:49 AM
ann from manhattan

why am I forced to listen to this??? I am tuned to Brian Lehrer. I can't get away So STOP TALKING and fset me free.

Sep. 26 2012 10:45 AM
Art

ZZZZzzzz. Wake me when this segment is over. I couldn't care less...

Sep. 26 2012 10:44 AM
jawbone

Since the players are in a union, it's really too bad they didn't refuse to cross the picket lines.

Can the guest settle the question of pass interference in the end zone? Seattle pushing receiver, etc.?

Sep. 26 2012 10:44 AM
RL

Boooo! you cut off the one caller who had the correct reasoning. Bob was right! And the fill-in host was rude. Let's go back to politics. This is so outside of wnyc, that you don't even know how to handle it.

Sep. 26 2012 10:44 AM
nann from NYC

You are both very smart, entertaining and insightful people, really. BUT......this is going on too long. Please stop talking about football. Oh noooo, you're taking calls! suffer I must.

Sep. 26 2012 10:43 AM
Robert from Manhattan

My interest was already diminished when my longtime favorite team, the Jets, turned themselves into a sideshow by bringing in Tim Tebow. Add the faux refs to that, and now the rest of the league had no appeal. It's amazing and delghtful how much one can do with a Sunday or Monday night when not glued to the tube!

Sep. 26 2012 10:39 AM
RL

Mark, Walker is not a union buster. He is a public union buster. I hate him, but if we do not understand him accuratly, he will win.

Sep. 26 2012 10:37 AM
lizzy from NYC

Where is Brian and why are they talking about sports at 10:30am on NPR? I get it, it's an issue, but it's too early for a break down of the inner workings of football politics. What is happening in NYC, what is happening in the world?

Sep. 26 2012 10:36 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

One thing about the replacement refs which I think WNYC listeners will appreciate: the replacement refs have been so bad that Wisconsin governor Scott Walker--union buster that he is--called for the NFL to settle with the referee union!

Sep. 26 2012 10:33 AM
Dom from NJ

If fans want to solve the ref lock out, they just have to hold a "fan action". As a group, ticket holders could sit in the parking lot for the first quarter or they could boycott the food and beer vendors or they could all wear a unique color to send a message. Accepting the owners' take it or leave it treatment of the refs (nobody's favorite people...) means that owner money trumps the value of the product to the people who actually want to pay to see the game.

I doubt that a TV boycott would be as visually effective but financially, it sure would be. Not sure how that would be measured but that's where the owner money comes from so smarter people than I have to figure that out.

Sep. 26 2012 10:32 AM
RL

Can your guest truly say that this would not have been a close call no matter who the ref' was? The premise of this segment gave in to spin from the get go. It's kinda like BL's political segments.

Sep. 26 2012 10:31 AM

good to know ryan and rommney are now pro union!

Sep. 26 2012 10:29 AM
Arthur Aptowitz from Forest Hills, NY

A while back a regular ref gave a critical touchdown to a jet quarterback who has yet to cross the goal line. That was an easycall that he blew and the worst I've ever seen, including Monday night.
25 years ago the owners locked out THE PLayers, a bit more important than refs, NO?
Stop watching the games if you think they're a farce. ONly a ratings drop will matter, since it affects advertising revenue. Othewise, watch the games and the scab refs!

Sep. 26 2012 10:13 AM