Success Secrets for Gutsy Girls

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Kate White, former editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan and author of I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know, talks about giving career advice to women of all ages in her new book.

Kate White

Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

I enjoyed Adam Carollas book, "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks". I LMFAO.

Sep. 25 2012 11:20 AM
Suzannah from 47%

I can't stop rolling my eyes, from the 'B' word topic to her talking about 'Eco' tourism.
This qoman's idea if feminism had nothing to do with mine, it's more like her views on being well off and how to own the entitlement that goes along with it.

Sep. 25 2012 11:03 AM
Christine from Westchester

I think the guest noted what we all understand: You don't go to Cosmo for news or anything of substance. You read "Living" for recipes, "Cosmo" for superficial sex advice and "Newsweek" and others for real info. And of course, listen to NPR. But the issue isn't whether women are "girly" or not so much as feminists. If you want equal pay, a say in government etc--- you're a feminist. However you dress, whatever you read. The key for all of our young people is a good education.

Sep. 25 2012 11:02 AM
Oona from Manhattan

What absolute nonsense. Woman's trashy magazines/liberation was really a way to get women in the workplace & half the standard of living for both men & women. This type of magazine, misleads young women about what is really important in life, pushing products which no one really needs & cheapening the look of women to the point of ridiculousness.

Sep. 25 2012 11:00 AM
Mary from Brooklyn

I echo Elaine's comment: "Cosmo's brand of "feminism" sends all the wrong messages to young women (the true readership of cosmo, by the way, is between 12-16). Put forth as empowerment, cosmo reinforces harmful ideas about pleasing men, your appearance being what most matters to your identity, and that the way to get things is through manipulation. "

Sep. 25 2012 11:00 AM
Lia

We are kidding ourselves if we deny that this magazine hasn't contributed to further objectification of women by both men and women alike. The amount of times your guest has used the word girl to describe women is in itself disturbing. Cosmo does not uphold feminism. This is merely June Cleaver in Victoria's Secret.

Sep. 25 2012 10:58 AM
Mia from Manhattan

I agree with Helen. The writing at women's magazines is AWFUL. I subscribe to Esquire and GQ because they include interesting, surprising stories as well as covering fashion, lifestyle, etc.

Oprah magazine was only a slight improvement.

Sad to say in 2012.

Sep. 25 2012 10:57 AM
RuthM from Bronx

Reject idea that wanting to look good is shallow, and same for certain behaviors considered "feminine"--hey I think Hillary Clinton has this same quality that I described seeing in HGB in my facebook comment of Aug 13, which said "Many years ago I was working for the producer David Brown on one of his books, and we met one afternoon in his apartment on CPW. At the end of the meeting, he said "Before you leave, let me introduce you to my wife, Helen." He started walking through the place, bellowing, "Helen? Helen! HELEN!!!" A rustling sound from the kitchen, and after a moment here comes tiny little Helen Gurley...in her bathrobe, hair back with a headband, no make-up, and to top it off, a thick shiny layer of something like Vaseline all over her face! She was in the middle of her Sunday beauty routine...just like those Cosmo girls. I was mortified at interrupting her...and I couldn't believe she was brave enough to come into the living room. I'd have sneaked into the pantry to hide. But she did not apologize or act embarrassed or call attention to herself or her attire in any way. Instead, she walked straight up to me with a huge smile, took my hand, and said "Oh I am soooo thrilled to meet you, my husband has spoken so highly of you. How wonderful!" And somehow the awkwardness vanished. She had that knack for putting someone at ease and making them feel like the center of the world. I'm no Cosmo girl but sixty second with Helen Gurley Brown taught me something. She was a class act."

Sep. 25 2012 10:56 AM
Elaine

Sep. 25 2012 10:56 AM
Mary from Brooklyn

Ugh. This is so depressing.

Sep. 25 2012 10:56 AM

Some anonymous friend gifted me a 2-year subscription to Cosmo, I could only assume as a joke, but as a thirtysomething I have been reading through it, if only as a pop culture curiosity. A few observations. First, Cosmo covers these days invariably feature young starlets, max age 25. Its advice seems targeted to young single women, very recently out of college, working entry-level office jobs, striving for active social lives. It hardly seems to foster the ambition of "having it all." Motherhood, as well as serious professional success, always feel like distant possibilities at best.

Sep. 25 2012 10:55 AM
Helen from New York, New York

I wonder what Ms. White thinks about the lack of focus on current affair and social issues in her (former) magazine. I consider myself to be a "girly feminist," and am often disappointed by how women are uninformed, or even uninterested in social issues. I think unfortunately, magazines like Cosmo are somewhat to blame - the only "important issues" they push are career, fashion, and sex - which are definitely important, BUT I think these magazines have a large influence in younger women, and instilling values in them. I think if magazines such as Cosmo would pay a little more attention to current affairs in each issue, it may have a surprisingly large impact on yonug women in our society becoming more socially aware.

Sep. 25 2012 10:52 AM
John A

My joke/observations for MichaelB. Go to the magazine section at the bookstore... at 'Women's Interest', its all pictures of women, at 'Men's Interest', its all pictures of women.

Sep. 25 2012 10:52 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

So let's see.... girls make up an ever-increasing majority of college populations, urban-dwelling young women make more money than their male counterparts... and the media is FULL of columns, advice, shows, interviews, books, etc., aimed at females.

It seems abundantly clear that it should be the boys and young men who are most in need of advice at this point of our society.

Sep. 25 2012 10:47 AM