Tony Danza's Year as a Rookie Teacher

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tony Danza talks about his experience teaching tenth-grade English for a year at Philadelphia’s largest high school. I’d Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High includes portraits of students and teachers, and reveals how hard he found it to keep students engaged, how committed he found most teachers to be, and the role of teacher as counselor.

Tony Danza

p mac

taught for 24 years in Dover High School DO NOT REGRET A MINUTE OF IT-- of course i think it was my true calling ---- i would go back and sub in a minute
tony was in the least seemingly sincere in his effort-- but you should not try to make reality tv show out of this it's far too real and serious

Sep. 21 2012 08:16 AM
james andrea from Brick, NJ

To all the above nay-sayers, you don't get it. I was a NYC substitute teacher in the 90s and while I was listening I was wondering about some sort of Heisenberg effect going on, if the kids were behaving any better for all the fuss; but, after all, what if that were so, they behaved better out of some sense of self-respect because they were getting some attention. Any of you detractors can't say you've made one-tenth of a difference in any one kid's life. I went to a private h.s. and some of the teachers left a lot to be desired. Bravo to Tony Danza! Don't knock him unless you've walked/worked in his shoes in a public h.s.

Sep. 20 2012 12:00 AM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

To Hell's Kitchen, yes, I agree, to "give Tony a job" was not the sole purpose of the show. The purpose was to make money for A&E. But how much did this reality show draw attention to how difficult a teacher's job is? Not much apparently.

Sep. 19 2012 01:12 PM
john from office

FUGETABOUTIT, Romney will eliminate free lunch!!

Sep. 19 2012 12:59 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Hooray for Tony Danza!

Sep. 19 2012 12:58 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Mr. Danza is refreshingly direct, enlightening, and entertaining. He has some useful insights and perspectives.

He is a pleasure to listen to.

Sep. 19 2012 12:52 PM
Hell's Kitchen from Manhattan

In response to Vinny's comment: Clearly, the purpose wasn't "to give Tony a job." In a political climate that vilifies teachers, anyone who has a platform and can voice what it's like to try to help 150 teenagers master skills and material--the first year on the job--is a coup for the profession, and sheds light on the nonstop physical and mental work that non-teachers would never see otherwise. Most non-teachers will never understand that it's not like any other job--you work around the clock. Yes, even during the summer.

Kudos from a former 10th-grade English teacher!

Sep. 19 2012 12:52 PM
Kaili Baucum from Montclair, NJ

Leonard why aren't you asking about the impact of Tony Danza's teaching on the kids? Would either of you agree to having your child be in this class for a year of high school english? How could this be seen as anything other than pimping Philly students?

Sep. 19 2012 12:51 PM
Pascale Vaillancourt

Dubbed your voice...

Sep. 19 2012 12:49 PM
Pascale Vaillancourt

Hi Leonard and Tony, funny how I used to watch your show Who's the boss when I was a kid. I watched it in French and I must say, the guy who dunned you was very good with your voice :0)

Sep. 19 2012 12:47 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

Ugh. Reality TV. Taking a teaching spot away from a real teacher so Tony can have a job.

Sep. 19 2012 12:46 PM