Finding Medical Testing That Works

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

One new study questions the effectiveness of ovarian cancer screening, and another has highlighted waste in the health care system. Denise Gradyreporter and health editor for the New York Times talks about how we can know what works when it comes to medical procedures.

Denise Grady

Saul

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew
where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment
form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Mar. 06 2013 10:50 PM
Susan Crayne from Hartsdale, NY

Denise Grady was very diplomatic in her explanation of the study. As I read it, the result of the study is this: In healthy women, the current screening tests for ovarian cancer are useless. Doctors who prescribe them, and patients who demand them, are exhibiting magical thinking. Doctors in particular should know better -- they should be making treatment decisions using evidence-based medicine, as exemplified by this study. And patients who ask for the test should also understand that the scientific method takes precedence over anecdotes in determining the truth.

Sep. 12 2012 01:52 PM
stage 4

oops stage 4 here - fmeant to say I've long since learned NOT to rely on.

Sep. 12 2012 11:27 AM
Nancy Dwyer Chapman from Bronxville, NY

Respectfully, and very happily, I can assure you that a diagnosis of ovarian cancer is not necessarily a death sentence. Yesterday, I received a "perfect results" finding of CT scans of my abdomen, pelvis and chest after having been diagnosed on February 23 as having Stage 3 ovarian cancer. I began to fall ill in January, with the symptoms of bloating, abdominal pain, fullness after little or no ingestion of food, weight loss, shortness of breath - the diagnosis, after rule-outs of other conditions, occurred in three weeks. My CA-125 number, upon Dx in February, was 2840, while the normal number for CA-125 is 35. (The last time it was tested, post-chemo, was 16.9.) My superb team of oncologists embarked upon a treatment plan for me based on a Japanese protocol of chemotherapy, surgery and chemotherapy, with the result that I am, 8 months later, cancer-free - an extraordinary outcome.

Sep. 12 2012 11:24 AM
stage 4

It's really time to arm oneself with alternative points of view vis a vis cancer. I'm a stage 4 patient adn I have zero intention of checking out. Thre are so many ways to look at what is happening! I shrank my main tumor in half, dissolved some metasttic growths entirely in a year - I've been in a good mood teh whole time (pretty much) becaue I am using complementary treatments - mostly on my own - I have been studying them.

I hve long since lerned to rely entirely on medical opinion. I do love and rely on my onc - hes teh best in the world - he's a born healer if you ask me, but he's also got a stricly conventional medical opinion which as far as I'm concerned, is not enough.

energy Medicine is free.

Sep. 12 2012 11:23 AM
Charlotte Brooks from Bedminster, NJ

I had an ovarian cancer Tumor removed intact 13 1/2 years ago. It was discovered on a trans-vaginal ultra sound conducted because I had some abdominal discomfort. If they had not immediately operated, I would not be here typing this email. I disagree totally with your guest.

Sep. 12 2012 11:23 AM
Dan from Midtown

The question of medical screenings for incurable diseases is now being broached in other specializations as well. Can Ms.Grady speak to the ethical complications in degenerative disorders such as Parkinson's Disease?

Sep. 12 2012 10:55 AM