30 Issues in 30 Days is our election year series on the important issues facing the country this election year. Today: The state of post-bubble housing policy and federal government's role in the market. Visit the 30 Issue home page for all the conversations.
Open Prep: Questions, Articles, and Links to Get You Started
- Should Washington get out of the affordable housing business?
- What do we do now that the "ownership society" failed?
- Was the federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac a success?
What are your key questions on this topic? Post them below and get the conversation going!
- Janneke Ratcliffe, executive director of the Center for Community Capital at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress, and co-author of the book Regaining the Dream: How to Renew the Promise of Homeownership for America's Working Families.
- Edward J. Pinto, former Vice President at Fannie Mae and resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.
- Mortgage Daily News Breakdown of Obama and Romney Housing Policy
- Romney Housing Policy White Paper
- Bloomberg Business Week: Romney's Housing Policy Looks A Lot Like Obama's
- Center for American Progress: It's Time to Talk About Housing
Video Archive: Mayor LaGuardia and George Bush on Home Ownership
Got a Follow Up?
Each Friday we'll be following up on one of that week's issues. Got a particular follow-up question from this conversation? Comment below or tweet us. Tweet to @brianlehrer